Fly Fusion Forums

Anyone With Jet Boat Help

After recovery they rowed the boat down to Mac. Just heard from them boats back on trailer. Record float time ,under 4 hrs

Assuming that means there was minimal damage to hull,or limped downstream with duct tape bandaid??

Good stuff,congrats.

hey guys its out and there was minimal damage, it floated great from police to mckinnons tonight!

it was the fasted ever police to mckinnons on drift, it took us about 3 hours. the fishing was a bit slow but seems like it was the nicest float all year. before I get to that first and foremost I would like thank everyone who helped in this stressful time to find and recover the boat. special thanks goes out to (in no particular order) Tim (Albany), Mike (Tungsten), and Murray, you guys went above and beyond to help today and yesterday. without you guys this woud have never happened and the boat would still be sitting there. what a sight it was seeing that bow come out of that water and watching the worlds biggest streamer on the swing to the bank. I don't think that recovery went any smoother with all the help today.

special thanks goes to fishtales shop staff and guides for notifying me within a few hours that someone spotted my boat, what a relief it was when I got that call telling me where my boat was sitting.

surprisingly from what we could see when we pulled it out there was only minimal damage. the bottom of the boat has a big dent in it probably from hitting the rock that it was wedged up against. WHAT A RELIEF. the only noticeable thing missing was my one carbon fibre oar, my hoagie, chips, and a Gatorade. what actually gave us a chuckle today was Tikka's ecigarette was still sitting nextr to the rowers seat exactly where he left it, and also the rear leg brace was pulled apart but all 3 pices were in the boat!

I took everything out of the boat tonight but tomorrow in the AM I will snap some pictures so that you guys can see the condition of the boat after a 36 hour submerging after a ghost drift for 1 km downstream. I bet you guys will be pretty surprised. I will recommend aluminum to everyone who buys a drift boat. those things can take a beating. im sure if it was a fiberglass it would have burst into pieces.

so the plan now is to pull all the panels off to assess how bad it is, before the floor panels go back on ill add some sort of marine spray foam to all the hidden areas tocreate some buoyancy so that if the boat takes on water it will not completely sink for me or future owner of this boat.

really thankful for everyone's help and keeping this thread alive. now I can finally eat and sleep knowing we got it outta the water

as a side note : everyone talking about the red roof guy. hes not a bad guy, hes just got a different sense of humor. you show respect to him and he will do the same. easy formula.

ps. a big thanks goes to heritage point fire department for being useless. they can spend our tax payer resources to save kittens off trees but real world problems they cannot mitigate. bravo *clap* *clap*

• Like 5

Well guys I must say I'm still shocked at how well everything turned out and can't thank you guys enough for your time and support. Definitely learned a valuable lesson to never let your gaurd down at any time on the river it always demands respect! The float was definately something special after all that, certainly wasn't expecting to find what we did still in the boat it was like someone tucked the rear leg brace away!

On that note I gotta find an oar now so if anyone knows someone selling one or maybe buying something from Hyde let me know, we can work out shipping up here.

Also like to thank my good buddy Matt, he's not on this board but is one of those guys that's always there no matter what. He swam the river to come help yesterday once he got off work!

This board and the members on it are truly great if anyone ever gets into trouble on or off the water give me shout always more then willing to come give a hand!

Take care,

Jared

• Like 1

Nice to hear everyone is safe and the boat has been recovered. Through all of this though, I would have thought that one of the Departments would have lent a helping hand. They are supposed to be there to help people in need on the water and to protect our waterways. Having a bunch of fishermen working to remove the boat without any assistance from the Fire Department is sad, but also could have been very unsafe. (I'm sure you guys took all the precautions), however, they could have supplied their boat, their knowledge, and tools that may have helped out in this situation. Sad to hear that you had no assistance from these folks. Albeit, glad to hear you have your boat back!

Cheers

• Like 1

Good to hear. I was on the bank downstream of Policemans when the 3 of you came walking back from first try. you were a pretty odd sight - 3 young guys walking with a coil of very heavy rope and large come-a-long. Had a quick chat on the way by as I was too curious as to what the heck was going on.

we wondered about all of your fishing gear but it sounds like you may have recovered all that.

Sanjuan, we had just left the launch but hadn't started down the river we where sitting near the current seam just getting ready and having a smoke. The current grabbed the boat and in a split second we where side ways in the rapids, just managed to get the boat straight when we hit that big rock that's in there. It turned the boat again and proceeded to fill the boat, we then dislodged and start down the river and about 70 yards before we left the boat and made it to shore.

Sideways is badways. I almost flipped my boat this year on a gravel bar. I miss judged the current and got sucked in thanks to the quick thinking of Goodfly Mclovin he jumped out and dragged the nose around as the other 2 of us sat on the edge of the boat. It happens SO FAST. I have a whole new respect. I mentioned it in another thread but ill mention it again. Boat insurance is cheap it covers this kind of thing.

• Like 2

Nice to hear everyone is safe and the boat has been recovered. Through all of this though, I would have thought that one of the Departments would have lent a helping hand. They are supposed to be there to help people in need on the water and to protect our waterways. Having a bunch of fishermen working to remove the boat without any assistance from the Fire Department is sad, but also could have been very unsafe. (I'm sure you guys took all the precautions), however, they could have supplied their boat, their knowledge, and tools that may have helped out in this situation. Sad to hear that you had no assistance from these folks. Albeit, glad to hear you have your boat back!

Cheers

No *hit, not like its a bunch of yahoos in their 5$ walmart dingy dragging a cooler of beer! So what happens if you call 911? they come and get you? you get hit with a huge bill? sunk boat people in the water would seem like an emergency to me. Getting yourself out and asking for help should be a good enough reason for them to come?

Sanjuan, we had just left the launch but hadn't started down the river we where sitting near the current seam just getting ready and having a smoke. The current grabbed the boat and in a split second we where side ways in the rapids, just managed to get the boat straight when we hit that big rock that's in there. It turned the boat again and proceeded to fill the boat, we then dislodged and start down the river and about 70 yards before we left the boat and made it to shore.

Thanks.

We have a company drift boat that only I know how to row. Had a shop hand row one day as I was teaching him (so that I could fish) and we almost went sideways into a bridge pillar.

Scary stuff. I only asked so that I could avoid doing this or tell a story to someone whom is learning to row.

Glad you guys came out unscathed.

No *hit, not like its a bunch of yahoos in their 5$ walmart dingy dragging a cooler of beer! So what happens if you call 911? they come and get you? you get hit with a huge bill? sunk boat people in the water would seem like an emergency to me. Getting yourself out and asking for help should be a good enough reason for them to come?

Lives were not in immediate danger so I guess it doesn't rank as priority. It's outside the city so not in CFD's jurisdiction and the smaller MD departments probably don't have the manpower to spare. What would you do if your house was on fire and they didn't have anyone around to put it out because a bunch of firefighters were trying to pull a boat out of the river?
  • Like 1

fishing gears all recovered except for my one buddies rod that he was holding.

I just moved and left all my gear in my boat when I transported it to the new house and forgot to take it all out.

I had 3 Winston b3x rods in the tubes inside the rowers bench, my wading pack with all my fly boxes dries nymps streamers foams. everything.

the 2 Winston b3x rods with hardy reels were in the rod holder in the boat. Mike Algar from fish tales spotted them on a guide right in the defection caused by the sunken boat. he pulled them out and the two reels. managed to keep one complete line but the other one was a write off. both rods were snapped half way , the other halfs were still in the rod holder ! along with the flies that were tied up already

seriously lucked out on this one. so grateful for all your help guys

• Like 2

That's a good point Burning Chrome. My point is, that there should be something out there (whether fire dept, fisheries, or otherwise set up for these kinds of events. I know a drift boat stuck submerged in the river is not a big deal when comparing it to a burning house, but it still warrants some attention.

Cheers

• Like 1

That's a good point Burning Chrome. My point is, that there should be something out there (whether fire dept, fisheries, or otherwise set up for these kinds of events. I know a drift boat stuck submerged in the river is not a big deal when comparing it to a burning house, but it still warrants some attention.

Cheers

Yeah, I agree that there should be someone to call on for help in a situation like this. Since the Bow is a navigable waterway and this was outside the city limits would it be DFO maybe? It'd be good to know if this sort of thing happens again, like say that jet boat that was grounded a month back had been leaking fuel into the river, who would've been the best contact?

Nav Waters is Transport Canada, not DFO. If that jet had been leaking fuel, then Alberta Environment and Parks spill line would have had to be contacted. Odds are that they would recommend you get a professional to pull it out, not really their job to do the grunt work.

Did Strathmore FD get a chance to look at it?

I called Strathmore FD this AM and let them know not to waste their time because we pulled it out yesterday. I think it would be good to set up a group of guys from FFC who are willing to help with drift boats and jet boats, kinda like a search and rescue. Im willing to help anyone who has issues as well on the water. ill be there in a flash for whatever I could help with, if anyone needs anything don't be afraid to ask.

• Like 2

Guess it's feels a bit overzealous. It sucks that you sunk your boat, but it's rare to get one sunk per year. Only one last year was cause the guy was drunk and smoked the berm at Police. Before that, it had been years between them. Im sure in the case that it does happen, the forum will step up, as they did for you.

I would think that 99% of the people on this board would be willing to help out when needed. That is the beauty of this FFC in that, all in all, we are all good people and want to ensure that we are there to help or offer advice, or assist as needed. I believe it is what makes the sport so great. People on this forum are obviously passionate about fishing, and sometimes not everyone agrees, but i would like to think that, in time of need, we are all here to help. I have a jon / jet and always am looking out for others and would be there at a moments notice of someone in need. Whether you like jets or not, I will be there if you need anything. I always carry a first aid kit, water, aspirins, etc. It may not always be a capsized boat, but could be a medical emergency, or an emergency where someone needs to get home, or otherwise. Lets look out for each other out there, and keep everyone safe as best we can!

My 2Cents worth

Cheers

• Like 2

Lives were not in immediate danger so I guess it doesn't rank as priority. It's outside the city so not in CFD's jurisdiction and the smaller MD departments probably don't have the manpower to spare. What would you do if your house was on fire and they didn't have anyone around to put it out because a bunch of firefighters were trying to pull a boat out of the river?

yeah makes sense, seems like there should be someone you could call in a situation such as this.

I am in Montana until Sunday. Wil be in Craig from Wed-Sun. Driving through Helena Wed. Hyde dies ribs there all the time. If you can get an oar there I could drive it back to Calgary for you.

PM as I only have wifi. But if you need me we can skype.

Cheers