Fly Fusion Forums

How Do They Do It?

Hi boys; been fishing a bit this year haha, and wow i'v lost fish!

I believe them fish have gone to hook up school!!!

I'v seen with my own eyes stuff .Like the Rainbow, I had on yesterday, 24" on the lower Bow, it was facing sideways in the current doing stuff with his/ her mouth, again it was off ! A real heart beaker.

That's just one fish, you have any smart fish story's?

Here's one , though I had a snag on a flat rock, no!!! I seen a 2 foot fat ass

Brown eat my minnow and put his head under that rock . Was floating could'nt stop and 'the break off ' the boys in the boat said bull s***. it's a true story!

Lower Bow , Man there some smart fish there.

Flyfishy still alive

Hahaha; you laugh but the truth, Catch & letting them live! Like my Dog they learn!

I'm the best angler as we all are ! The f*^£¥ers get off . Guess that's fishing,,, I/ we love it .

Going to test there smarts tomorrow! On the Elbow :) logs and lumber omg , wish me the best lol.

P.S a pig there is 17"

I do believe they learn how to throw a hook. Can't count the number of decent trout, especially rainbows, I have lost on the Bow. They do this thing underwater with opening their mouths and the hook pops out more often then not. Browns have this trick of reversing and running straight at you. It produces instant slack in the line

leading to a foregone result. It can be very frustrating.

My main "How Do They Do It?" question is how do guys come up with an "accurate" measurement without actually landing the fish?

I would say that an accurate measurement is impossible without landing the fish.

He simply had a big fish on thought it was about 24 so called it a 24, c'mon were fishermen we don't need no stinkin ruler.

• Like 1

Pretty much....

Pretty much....

com on" guys it's easy ! To get a a accurate measurement, by well, times the size if your fly by the fly length x the distance of the fish = the accurate length of the fish, easy!!!Hahaa and You alway can tell a 2 footer.:)

Off to school some trout now-

a few other quotes:

"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught" - anonymous

"All fishermen are liars except for you and me, and to tell you the truth, I'm not sure about you !"- Unknown

"All fishermen are liars; it's an occupational disease with them like housemaid's knee or editor's ulcers"- Beatrice Cook—Till Fish Do Us Part, 1949

I haven't caught many big bulls, but most of the ones I have caught have put up absolutely no fight. Basically rolled over and got dragged in like a log. Made me wonder if they've been caught so many times before that they know the routine :)

Now that's honest ,them fish are school"ed for sure! ! Too bad we are Bad ass .there in trouble them trout/ Got my game on now!

thanks for your story's going to try more side Rod angle ( low rod tip) thing in the battle! Stay smart boys.:) ***

Dry fly time of the year

The lower Bow brake off , ten feet off the rod tip setting up for a recast, pulled up and just before my minnow caddis emerged pulled out of the river Snap!!! it was over, and that was 4x 7 lb0r 3.3kg tippet fluorflex stuff.

I'll never get that moment back!

The rule was I guess that cast was'nt fished through.

Again no pic

I also have a story that is quite unique. Caught a Bull Trout in an eastern slopes river on a Stimulator and it had a Cutthroat in it's mouth already with only the tail sticking out. He must of wanted some dessert with his meal! He didn't fight much like a typical Bull. Probably hard to fight when your loaded with a Cutty.

He measured approximately 22 to 23 inches long. My quick measuring technique is to use hand spans to measure a fish in the net. One hand span for me is 9 inches from the tip of my thumb to the tip of my pinky finger. If the Bull is two and 1/2 hand spans long then he is approximately 22 to 23 inches in length (9+9+4.5 inches). Got to get me a net with inches marked inside it.

Picture of the Bull with Cutty in his mouth below:

post-2837-0-49385000-1409508665_thumb.jpg

My story: fishing for walleye at Sylvan the other weekend with my ultra lite spinning rig when I tied into a monster pike in 25' of water. What a fight on this skinny little rod with the reel's drag screaming and my kayak spinning. So this weekend I'm out again and I find my reel's drag no longer works 😂. But I have my fly rod strapped to the side of the kayak so I can fish for white fish. Put on a size 12 bead head and an indicator and flip it out behind the kayak in 10' of water. Go to light up a cigar and notice the indicator isn't in sight. Set the hook and my 6wt buckels over and the reel comes the life. Ten seconds of adrenilan rush then nothing. I was left with a 4X tippit half it's normally length. Lite that cigar and reflected on what just happened and what could have been. No picture.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's one , again all true! Was lake fishing nailed a nice one on the mico leach no Bead.we let the little Fellow go, just to be eaten by a Loon!!! The proud release, and it was a Black Water Rainbow, gone in the belly of the bird. Sad day for that Grade 5 er.he was 16 " long Big Ass for a Bird / what ya like that one

For real Boys

And the Loons was 30 feet watching us , we said it's too big for that f*** er. Almost killed the Loon . Ask Buddy Mike sorry no pic's