Fly Fusion Forums

Rip Gord Kennedy

that's bad news. he was always great for informative, if somewhat gruff, conversation in his shop. i really enjoyed listening to his opinions on rods, reels etc etc. will miss him and his shop.

any news on what it was - sudden and unexpected (eg heart attack) or something ongoing?

Very sad to hear. Upon first meeting him, Gord may have come accross as a 'Grumpy Old Man', but that was just a facade. While he may not be as well known as others in the local fly fishing scene, Gord is very much a part of the history of Bow River fly fishing, and one of the long serving local pioneers of our sport and passion. He had many great stories, knew, and fished with many of the legends. He was an authority on salt water fishing, and creator of many great fly patterns. From my conversations with him, I got the impression he could spend the rest of his days casting to permit, and If I had to guess, that'd be what he's doing right now.

• Like 1

It's been quite a while since I've been here, and I decided that there isn't a better reason than to pay respect to an amazing person like Gord.

I first met Gord around 30 years ago, and still have the first "Decent" fly rod I ever owned, a T&T that Gord talked me into buying with the promise that it'll catch more fish, he was right.

A few years later, He convinced me that I should buy a Drift Boat and take clients out for him when he was short handed, with the promise that it'll make me a better fisherman, again, he was right. I loved the early morning phone calls from Gord telling me, (not asking), that I was taking some people for a fish that day and we'd figure out how much money I'd be paid, but I'm sure he knew I would have done it for free. I was actually scared to tell him when I sold the boat and was giving up Guiding, when I finally did tell him, he actually congratulated me for "Getting Out" and said now we can finally be friends. He was always good for a laugh, especially if you happened to be in the shop when someone asked what he considered a stupid question. His reactions were priceless and he didn't hold back, which I always respected.

I miss the good old days where we would sit in the shop, tie flies, drink a couple pots of coffee and chain smoke the better part of every rainy day away. Gord was way ahead of his time when it came to patterns and never gave a *hit about putting his name on something he tied. He just liked to hear that it worked and it caught fish...

Of all of the influences I've had in my close to 40 years of Fly fishing, Gord is a close 2nd to my Grandfather. I'm going to miss the grumpy old bugger, the fish won't though I'm sure. Rest in Peace Gord...

• Like 2

Never found Gord to be grumpy, I always enjoyed going to the shop and chatting with him. I would ask him what was working on the Bow, when there wasn't any good dry fly hatches happening, even though he would always reply "if they don't eat on the surface, they don't eat" lol. Chatted with him for 20 minutes just last month, and bought a pair of Smith Sunglasses from him... I was hoping to sign up for one of his saltwater destination trips one day.

RIP Gord, and may the fish always be rising we're ever you are!

Just a quick note to add,

There has been an event organized for this coming Tuesday, October 22 at 6pm till 10. The venue is Jack Astors on Macleod Trail and Southland Drive SW. It's for whomever wants to go, friends, fishing buddies, customers, guides who worked with Gord, or those who just want to show up and remember a guy who was the Bow River's advocate and friend.

There will be a small fee, $10 bucks at the door, which will cover appetizers, of which there will be plenty. Jack Astors is stepping out to help put on a great night.

For more info on this event, just call West Winds Fly Shop 403 -278-6331

P.S. For those of you who may not have heard, Gord's funeral scheduled for this Saturday at 2pm at the McINNIS & HOLLOWAY Crowfoot Chapel has been postponed at the request of the family.

Gord sold me my first decent stick years ago.

I must admit at the time I was very intimidated by the thought of droppin big coin on a flyrod.

he said it would make me a much better caster, and he was absolutely right.

condolences to family and friends.

Just a quick note to add,

There has been an event organized for this coming Tuesday, October 22 at 6pm till 10. The venue is Jack Astors on Macleod Trail and Southland Drive SW. It's for whomever wants to go, friends, fishing buddies, customers, guides who worked with Gord, or those who just want to show up and remember a guy who was the Bow River's advocate and friend.

There will be a small fee, $10 bucks at the door, which will cover appetizers, of which there will be plenty. Jack Astors is stepping out to help put on a great night.

For more info on this event, just call West Winds Fly Shop 403 -278-6331

P.S. For those of you who may not have heard, Gord's funeral scheduled for this Saturday at 2pm at the McINNIS & HOLLOWAY Crowfoot Chapel has been postponed at the request of the family.

This is Today

Thanks to all who came to the event last night. Approx 120 folks attended and enjoyed each others company and many shot glasses of rum were raised in Gord's memory. (Gord's three favorite rum's were supplied) Much friendship and food was in evidence and many memories were shared.

300 plus dollars was raised for Gord's SPCA Charity.

A great laid back fun evening, and one Gord would have very much approved of.......

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...