Lost Flies  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Everytime you go fishing how many flies do you normally lose

• none
    • 1-4
    • 5-9
    • 10-15
    • too many to count

Normally lose at least a couple 2 fly rigs to the bottom...

Some days it seems like I cant lose a fly and others it seems like my box isn't going to last the day, as I snap off my 20th fly of the day.

• Like 1

Its funny you asked this today.... I always setup my dropper rigs off the hook bend of the fly above. For whatever reason today, the tippet slid off that top hook at least 5 times and I lost the bottom fly each time obviously. One of my most frustrating days. I've maybe lost 1 fly to this in the past 2 years. I broke a hook pinching a barb also. Grrrrrrrrrrrr........ weather was nice though.

Most of mine are from stupid stuff like trees or snags.

The worst is when you have a fish on the line and your tippet breaks above the first hook. Those are the times you can hear me swearing pretty bad

The worst is when it's a whitefish doing a death-roll and the tippet breaks at the first hook...

• Like 1

When I first started fishing creeks I would lose a dozen or so. Now I'm down to about 3 to 8. For me the most frustrating is stalking a rising fish, sneaking into position, the fish is still there and...

my back cast gets caught in a spruce tree fifteen feet off the ground.

• 2 weeks later...

Some flys I risk my life for like a double rig of sex dungeons...... I'm wading out up to my armpits to get that, drives me crazy to leave $12.00 on the bottom of the river.

Maybe you should consider bringing a snorkle, mask and fins. Flydiver might be a good new name.

• 2 weeks later...

I was walking up a small stream in the north part of the province. As I studied the water I noticed a very nice hatch starting upstream of my tail water position. It was a host of flies all sitting prettily on the film. Non where near my position but I counted three dozen various dries that I could see. About an hour later I caught up with a very disappointed young guy with an empty box dangling from a lanyard whose hatch it was. I left him with a dozen of my own flies so his would continue but I often wonder how far those dries floated (paddle to the sea) and wonder if they sparked any interest.

The longer you spend in the field the more interesting things you see.