Fly Fusion Forums

Extended Vertigo

Anyone ever had an extended bout of vertigo, like several days worth? I whacked the crap out of my head slipping on the ice, had a few bouts of dizziness that didn't last long, and I thought could also be related to a cold I had picked up also. But on the one week anniversary of turning my head into a basketball, I became pretty violently dizzy and sick, got to go to the emergency room at the new hospital, and have had vertigo ever since. Dr's basically said it can take awhile to clear up, and he doesn't want to recommend any therapy until I get a CT scan (next week) to confirm there is no true damage. Anyway, big damn pain in the ass. Can't drive, not supposed to go to work. I'm not all that good at sitting around, which is all I'm supposed to be doing.

Just wondering if anyone else has gone through this? How long did it last? How did you deal with it?

Been through it several times over the past couple of years, there's no set time that it lasts. I took Serc for it and it helped after awhile once the doze was adjusted high enough. First time lasted about 5 days , and the last time lasted about 5 months, it's one of those things that can't be predicted. Just hang in there and stay quiet and try to avoid any fast sudden moves, those always made it worse.

had one bout of it last year for a couple months with severe headaches mixed in. Prior to that about 10 years ago, same thing. Hang in there man. I found drugs didn't really help me, time healed it. I know that's not what you wanted to hear but it was the truth for me. I did go to acupunture at the reccommendation of a few people and it seemed to help a bit but I think just relaxing and clearing your mind wether on a table in someone's ofice or at home in bed is the same thing. Just put some soft tunes on and veg and think happy thoughts lol. lots of rest...

I had it a few years back. Dr said it was a viral inner ear infection and not much could be done. Tried taking meds for the symptoms but didn't like the way I felt. Went away in a few weeks. Good luck....

Rickr:

One of the tricky things about vertigo is diagnosing / identifying the root cause. I took the girls basketball team to WEM for a year end party; they cajoled me into going on a rollercoaster. Man, I'm too old for that s&*t. But I'm a tough guy, so I went. Whoops - spent a few days after fighting vertigo. Turns out I did not have "Meniere's" disease (often knee jerk diagnosis from a doctor), I sure as heck didn't have a viral infection.

What I had was crystals that were knocked loose during the roller coaster ride from the semi circular canals (in your ear). The rollercoaster caused enough "head trauma" to induce a bout of BPPV: Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo.

So one doc tried giving me drugs, and that didn't work. But here's what did: physiotherapy. I saw a physiotherapist trained specially for the treatment of BVVP, because its a physical condition, not a viral/bacterial. And here's the good news; if your physiotherapist knows what they're doing, you can get treated and "cured" often within one, perhaps two visits. They put this crazy helmet on you, and they hook an infra-red camera up (its inside the helmet) to look at your pupil reaction on tv monitor. The therapists guides you during a deliberate "fall" onto a flat surface (like a patients bed), and here's the really cool part: when you get dizzy, they can actually tell by the way your eyeballs roll around on the tv monitor, which ear, and likely which semi-circular canal is causing the issue. So then the therapist literally tries to get the crystals back in place (through movement) and cure your dizziness.

Rickr, if you suspect, for any reason, that your vertigo just might be caused by BPPV, go seek out a physiotherapist that specializes in treating BPPV. At least when they hook you up, they could rule it out.

My experiences with the physiotherapy were very positive, so I am "lucky" that my vertigo was of the BPPV type.

Cheers,

Smitty

Thanks Smitty, couldn't remember the acronym! BPPV is what the Emerg doc said, and mine didn't use the acronym, but described the same thing. He has mentioned pyhsio, but wants me to have the CT scan first because of the head hit before he sends me. CT is on Wednesday

• 4 weeks later...

Out of interest, As I recall, that technique to move crystals back into the proper place in the inner ear was developed by a Lethbridge Physio called Tony Winder. I heard him interviewed on CBC about 10 yrs ago. It was new stuff back then, he was doing it by rotating and tilting the person's head in his hands. I guess he was onto something.

• 2 weeks later...

So today was my first ride in to work post vertigo, or at least I though post vertigo. Unfortunately for me, I got a bit disoriented on 9 ave when I looked behind me to change lanes and when I looked back I was trapped against the curb. Instead of taking the chance or ramming into an upcoming light pole, I decided to bail out. Hit my head (again, but yay helmet!) and my shoulder. I was 8 blocks or so from work, so rode the rest of the way in. But once I got off the bike the second time, I was becoming aware that my shoulder was in bad shape. Off to hospital, broken clavicle, here's your sling. 2 weeks of sling, then rehab. Can't wait! Hope to be healed enuf to catch the tail end of dry fly action pre runoff. Doc thinks Ill be healed in time for the ride for the cure on June 21.