Fly Fusion Forums

Extended Vertigo

Labyrinthitis sucks dude. Had that too. Get better!

Side note - just suffered through an episode of BPPV. Boy that Epley manouever does really work though! Cured on the first visit!

Smitty

Rick

Hope it clears up. I had bad bout of Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo in Nova Scotia two yrs ago and in Chile 4 years ago. I had it earlier and since one or two times, but not as bad. The bad times were associated with flying and colds.

See here. I followed the "Positional exercises of Brandt and Daroff" and I was cured in two days! Amazing. And I was basket case (more so than normal) for days before. Was so bad when I started the excercises I actually could not do them the room spun so badly.

Good luck.

Clive

Busted collar bones suck. I had the same thing happen to me several years ago, when I flipped over the bars on my bike doing some trail riding when I still lived in Edmonton. Had to ride out with one hand, even fell over on my way out. That hurt. A lot. Sucks that you can't use your arm for anything. Quite literally. Cool thing was I was working at a bike shop at the time, so it was cool to tell customers my epic mountain bike accident that busted the collar bone. I hope it heals soon. Should be good to go by the time run off is over.

Hi Tex

Ralph here (the guy with the house in Windermere). I sufferred many many years from vertigo first then anxiety afterwards. It got so bad that I could not even pay from my gas because I couldn't stand in a line up for more than a minute without getting wobbly knees, and feeling like i was going to fall over. It debilitated me for a long long time. I explored ALL of the treatments and also had a CT scan, blood test, BPVV treatments, water ear flushes, you name it, and NOTHING worked. The thing with this, is that you really have to know what is causing your vertigo. CT scan is a good idea, as well as BPVV, treatments. I had a nasty cold prior to my vertigo but did not have any significant head injury that I could remember. I sufferred for well over 5 years and was unable to: fish, be in a boat, public speak, get groceries, attend meetings or any social functions. I felt like i was becoming agaraphobic. I would not wish my illness on ANYONE as it was the absolute worst thing to deal with when you just dont know.

The good news is that I have been vertigo free for about three years now with very little recurrence if any. Turns out one of my friends was a therapist at Foothills and vertigo and anxiety were his specialty. Although I had been to my regular doctor many times to try to get myself fixed up, he did not or not could not offer me any resolution to my illness. My friend suggested that I ask him to put me on some Atavan to start. This pill was taken subdermally and seemed to help for the very short term, however, it did not cure it. After speaking to my friend again, he sugggested an SSRI, which is a pill for lack of seratonin in your chemical balance. I began taking Celexa for my illness and within a few weeks felt like a new man. I have been on the medication since, and am afraid to go off of it. I do not wish to be like I was again.

Not sure if your illness is related to a concussion, and I would recoomend that you investigate that first, and also check for chrystals that maybe be off setting your inner ear balance, but failing those, I would recommend that you investigate the SSRI drugs for lack of seratonin. It may help, as it sure did with me. They do take awhile to kick in (about six weeks) but you should feel better within a couple weeks.

Best of luck with this Tex, it is NOT fun at all, if you would like to discuss this offline please text me and I will be happy to offer you my experince with the latter.

All the best of health

Ralph (cgyguy)

Thanks Ralph. I've been in therapy, and it seems to be helping, but this collarbone thing is a bit of a setback.

The vertigo is at a low level, but still present. Not debilitating, but really, really annoying. Thankfully, it does not seem anywhere near as bad as yours (and I can't imagine what that must have been like), but I will absolutely look into all options for treatment. I appreciate all the help.

You might want to contact the Sports Medicine Clinic at the Univ. of Calgary for your collarbone problems. Their doctors and physiotherapists have seen and have treated thousands of injuries of all types as many of their patients are amateur and professional athletes. I have always received great treatment and advice there.