Fly Fusion Forums

Wading Personal Floatation Devices

RedBeard

I had this discussion with a few guys in the bow conditions thread, but after searching the archives I found no threads dedicated to PFDs for wading. Here goes!

Sounds like most guys use some sort of PFD when wading, and especially when wading on the Bow with our chia pet rocks. I'm in the market for a PFD and I just want to get some feedback on the brands out there that you guys use.

Are there vests that have inflatable PFDs? Any bad luck cases where auto inflatables deploy in bad weather or if you slipped and took a dunk in shallow water?

Any advice helps!

I have regular and inflatable PFD's. Never had a problem with the inflatable in bad weather. I find them to be more comfortable than the others, not so bulky, and does not get in the way. Mustang and Bass Pro are the brands I have. I have not fallen in on a wade,but would poss expect it to inflate. Recently on a post a member said they would not buy an inflatable but did not say why. I woild be curious to hear the reason. I recommend the inflatable and prefer the optional auto and manual type.I swam all my life and still would not think of going without one. Strong swimmer or not, you never know what situation you will be in wading or boating.

I have the auto inflate HIT Mustang and actually got taken out by an ice berg (not paying attention with what was coming down from above me)... Anyway, it knocked my off my feet and I went in for a few seconds... I was totally surprised it didn't inflate on me, but I understand it needs to be submerged in at least 4 inches of H2O, so maybe I wasn't deep enough for long enough... The non HIT auto inflate version uses a cardboard disc, so if it's raining or gets splashed it may inflate when you don't want it to!!

most anglers don't wear a PFD while wading, if you are past your knees you have gone to far and scared the feeshes

Where are you planning on wading? why don't you just stand up if you fall over? If it makes you feel safer, so be it.

Last couple of seasons i've used not HIT mustangs... they are great until the rain sets them off. This season I'm going to use the Bass Pros belt PFDs while drifting

Just so you are aware!

PDF's have to be DOT approved for use in Canada. Some of the BassPro and Cabella's products are not approved. If you are wading, you don't need one legally. Boating is another issue.

I use Mustang's. Made in Canada, DOT approved and I got it @ CDN Tire. My wife's came from the Fishin' Hole. Notice the Canadian connection!

Don

• Like 1

most anglers don't wear a PFD while wading, if you are past your knees you have gone to far and scared the feeshes

Where are you planning on wading? why don't you just stand up if you fall over? If it makes

you feel safer, so be it.

Last couple of seasons i've used not HIT mustangs... they are great until the rain sets them off. This season I'm going to use the Bass Pros belt PFDs while drifting

What brand of hip waders are you wearing and would u reccomend them for all around/everyday use??

How bout your clients,what do you advise them to wear for a typical day on Bow or anywhere else for that matter,wading pants or hips?

What brand of hip waders are you wearing and would u reccomend them for all around/everyday use??

How bout your clients,what do you advise them to wear for a typical day on Bow or anywhere else for that matter,wading pants or hips?

I wear Redington waders, in this part of the season I wear the Sonic-pro Zipper fronts, as the season progresses and the weather warms I shift to Redington Sonic-pro pants. Although typically between June and September I wet wade on the Bow, I will always have a pair of Redington pant waders in my dry storage just in case the rains come. I highly suggest Redington waders, for the cost they can't be beat, the pants may be the most comfortable waders I've worn. I own a few pairs of Simms and I get exactly the same lifetime out of $800 waders as I do the $350 Redingtons so I purchase Redingtons.

As for my clients I ask that they wear what makes them comfortable, a comfortable client is a confident client.... confidence catches feshes. I have several pairs of Redington and Simms waders that clients can use if they don't have thier own but that is very rare as I don't often guide new anglers, and 99% of my guiding time is spent drifting rather than doing wade and walks. A good portion of those in my boat tend to wet wade.....

Ok Jayhad,so you either missed the sarcasm in my last post,or you ignored it and gave a wader review to sweep it under the rug?

Of course my last post was to dig at the "if you wade past yer knees,you've waded too far" BS that I've seen/heard spewed so many countless times.

IMO,there are plenty of legit reasons and situations to wade past one's knees,and plenty of those that can get a guy into the kind of trouble that makes wearing a PFD a legit concern.

As to DOT approved,seems there is some confusion here or at least misnomers being used?Not all PFDs are "life preservers",esp. many of those designed for recreation,water sports etc.

If I'm not mistaken,only those types that will support you with your head above water if you are unconcious or otherwise incapacitated will be DOT approved.Again,IINM,there are NO manually deployed/ripcord type inflatables that are DOT approved and most watersport/built for comfort/designed for freedom of movement style PFDs won't make the grade neither if that's a concern or criteria for drift boaters that are shopping for a PFD.

Ok Jayhad,so you either missed the sarcasm in my last post,or you ignored it and gave a wader review to sweep it under the rug?

Of course my last post was to dig at the "if you wade past yer knees,you've waded too far" BS that I've seen/heard spewed so many countless times.

Nope, didn't ignore or miss your sarcasm, but after your rant about drift boats anchoring in the wrong direction I figured you may require as much information you can get.

If you have waded past your knees you have failed, if you are wading in places where a PFD is needed for safety you are taking risks that should and can be midigated. A guide should never expose his clients to risks of this nature. But more importantly 75% of the fish that are brought to my boat are caught at shore, within inches of water.... water you just waded through to get to that seem 65' out there.

You clearly missed that I wet wade, so do most of my clients and friends I float with because there is never a need to go over your knees, waders are for warmth and comfort

So if I wade across a thigh deep run of heavy water to get to an island or ankle deep gravel bar I've failed?

If I wade out to my waist to best present a fly to a riser upstream that's tight to the bank I've failed again? What if I'm over my knees swinging streamers thru the deep hole below,where a slip could potentially send me into water over my head wearing chest waders?Hell,why do 90%(?) of Bow anglers even wear chest waders if all they need are knee high hip boots?

Not everybody enjoys the luxury of drifting by in deeper water and casting to the bank risers to catch 75% of their fish.....some of us still w/w.

All legit reasons to wear a PFD imho.....one cant always simply "stand up" if they fall down.

And WOW.....still hung up on that backwards driftboat thing are ya?

.......wutever dude,I've forgotten more about boats than you'll ever know and for a cpl decades I likely spent more time aboard them in a single year than you do in 10 seasons,so you just keep on rowing backwards and anchoring stern-to like a retard and make sure you have your PFD on.

So if I wade across a thigh deep run of heavy water to get to an island or ankle deep gravel bar I've failed?

If I wade out to my waist to best present a fly to a riser upstream that's tight to the bank I've failed again? What if I'm over my knees swinging streamers thru the deep hole below,where a slip could potentially send me into water over my head wearing chest waders?Hell,why do 90%(?) of Bow anglers even wear chest waders if all they need are knee high hip boots?

Not everybody enjoys the luxury of drifting by in deeper water and casting to the bank risers to catch 75% of their fish.....some of us still w/w.

All legit reasons to wear a PFD imho.....one cant always simply "stand up" if they fall down.

And WOW.....still hung up on that backwards driftboat thing are ya?

.......wutever dude,I've forgotten more about boats than you'll ever know and for a cpl decades I likely spent more time aboard them in a single year than you do in 10 seasons,so you just keep on rowing backwards and anchoring stern-to like a retard and make sure you have your PFD on.

I thought of not replying but like most I just can't swing my glance away from a train wreck

So to your answers;

Yes

Yes

First off why would you stand so close to the transition, fishin hang out there to get food? Second What do chest waders have to do with you going under?

If you can't simply stand up in thigh high water perhaps fishing is to dangerous for you and you should take up something more age appropriate.

As I said a few posts ago in this thread, If it makes you feel safer, so be it.

No I'm not hung up on the drift boat thing, if you don't know how to operate a boat on a river it's no skin off my nose, and you can't spend more time in a year on a boat than I have in 10 seasons, it's impossible there's only 365 days in one year, maybe you forgot that. :wedge:

Wow....where to begin??

So first of all,yer saying bank anglers should restrict themselves to water they can reach from shore/knee deep max?Don't even think about wading across a run to get to a gravel bar and fish the other side of it,or to get a better casting angle to same run I just crossed,or wade to an island thats surrounded by fishy holding water?

Sorry,didn't realise I was trespassing on water reserved for drift boaters only?

Next,failed again if I wade out from the bank to get a good presentation to a fish rising tight to the bank above me,even if there's no way to make a good cast from shore?Again,i guess casting to bank risers is reserved for those floating by in boats?

Third,I can wade and stand up just fine thanks for asking.What do chest waders have to do with going under??Really???Have you ever tried swimming in chest waders?So if I'm wading knee/thigh deep in moderately strong current,swinging streamers thru the 8ft deep hole below me.......well obviously first of all Ive failed according to you,cuz I'm over my knees,and secondly,a slip could send me tumbling into deep water wearing chest waders where I could end up floting air-locked feet in the air or simply sink with full boots.

All I'm sayin is there are PLENTY of situations that legitimately call for wading past your imaginary knee deep threshold,esp. in salmon/steelhead fishing where one is often wading strong currents and swinging flies to deeper water.I dunno bout you,but I've had plenty of sketchy wading moments,trying to cross powerful runs or wade to places I had no bizness wading to that made me wish I wearing a PFD at the time.Perhaps its just your lack of experience in anything other than one dimensional/wade past your knees you fail trout fishing that's clouding your judgement?That's OK junior,hang in there and don't get discouraged,and someday maybe you'll realise you only know a fraction of what you thought you did about wading and boats and fish and.........

Wow....where to begin??

So first of all,yer saying bank anglers should restrict themselves to water they can reach from shore/knee deep max?Don't even think about wading across a run to get to a gravel bar and fish the other side of it,or to get a better casting angle to same run I just crossed,or wade to an island thats surrounded by fishy holding water?

Sorry,didn't realise I was trespassing on water reserved for drift boaters only?

Next,failed again if I wade out from the bank to get a good presentation to a fish rising tight to the bank above me,even if there's no way to make a good cast from shore?Again,i guess casting to bank risers is reserved for those floating by in boats?

Third,I can wade and stand up just fine thanks for asking.What do chest waders have to do with going under??Really???Have you ever tried swimming in chest waders?So if I'm wading knee/thigh deep in moderately strong current,swinging streamers thru the 8ft deep hole below me.......well obviously first of all Ive failed according to you,cuz I'm over my knees,and secondly,a slip could send me tumbling into deep water wearing chest waders where I could end up floting air-locked feet in the air or simply sink with full boots.

All I'm sayin is there are PLENTY of situations that legitimately call for wading past your imaginary knee deep threshold,esp. in salmon/steelhead fishing where one is often wading strong currents and swinging flies to deeper water.I dunno bout you,but I've had plenty of sketchy wading moments,trying to cross powerful runs or wade to places I had no bizness wading to that made me wish I wearing a PFD at the time.Perhaps its just your lack of experience in anything other than one dimensional/wade past your knees you fail trout fishing that's clouding your judgement?That's OK junior,hang in there and don't get discouraged,and someday maybe you'll realise you only know a fraction of what you thought you did about wading and boats and fish and.........

Yes, I am saying you should stay off the Bow and leave it for drift boats only, you wade and walkers just get in the way and cause unneccesary bank erosion.

I have swam with waders on, why would it be any more difficult? just to smarten you up a bit, water in your waders doesn't weigh anymore than water out of your waters..... you will not sink.... it's called physics, I can lend you a text book that will explain it for you if you want.

If you are wading deep water and you wear a PFD you are a retard, all the PFD will do is lift you off the bottom and you will loose footing, use your head for more than wood pecker feed. But you must know this with your countless wading experience on salmon and steelhead rivers

Breathe before you respond, I wouldn't want you to stroke out at your keyboard :johnny:

Guys,

I figured that Grinr was full of crap so I just checked out Mustang's PDF both manual inflate and auto inflates. They both have TP 1445 approvals of Govt of Canada. See the web site here.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/tp-tp14612-approval-menu-4210.htm

The Mustang PDF's are found here. http://www.mustangsurvival.com/recreational/md2015?division=recreation&country=23

Don