Fly Fusion Forums

Put A Power Boat Ban On The Bow

Funny how defensiveness flares ignorance !! Personal attacks and vendettas aside ....lets stay on topic seeing as one guide opens his mouth all hell breaks loose lol .

I for one am not a guide .....I am a flyfisher , river user ....AND Boating enthusiast !

This topic I believe ( i may be wrong as it was not me to begin it ) yet I'm pretty sure it was geared more towards the idea of the topic name , due to none other than pure ignorance . Aside from that it forked into a couple of directions .. the main one in MY books is environmental footprint . Which unfortunately IS the most important concern to anyone .

So please spare me the BS about " I can do this or that , just as rightful as you may . So sqrvx off or I'll get EVERYONE in the province riled up !" . ( yeah do that , lets see how that turns out ) the Bow River will definately benefit from that ! just like the other water bodies mentioned ... and once again juvenility shows its face on this forum ...

Personally I give a rats ass what you do , or ANYONE does . as long as you do it ethically and environmentally friendly . If it can't be done like so .....then yeah , now we have a problem!!

What is needed is a compromise to make everyone happy ....#1 Respect for other people , #2 Courtesy , #3 Empathy for the ecosystem we use merely for enjoyment ...and what else may we add to this .. ( not necessarily in that order either , just throwing it out there) also what is mentioned above ( some of them )( and possibly not any of my ideas ) just saying .....if its this bad a situation ....then lets get on a round table of sorts and agree on something ... together as users of this resource ... Rules of the River ! Obviously there has to be !! If you don't like it , find another body of water to play in . How about that .

So please .....don't get off subject , it tends to become reduntant ! And we get know where . Can't we all just get along !?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Caught some of my biggest browns on the Red Deer with jets zipping by all day. I don't have a problem with them myself as far as fishing goes. Now if i owned land on the river and a foot of it at a time was falling into the river because of prop wash then ya I would be pissed. Ive seen that to many times actually.

did you even read my post before you hid behind another handle and started tossing verbal diahrea? I never called for a ban nor did I say I guide americans all the time. Matter of fact most of the folks I take out are good old canadian farmboys from alberta, sask or manitoba who cant believe how ignorant people are on the bow. Fact. Now back to your concocted twisting of the truth to attempt to make guides look like the idiots. We are the ones trying to protect the very resource you feel so strongly about. Didnt see your name donating to streamwatch lately.

Yes I did read your post and the one you were responding to for that matter:

QUOTE (Ulmo @ Apr 30 2012, 09:43 PM)

motorized boats should be banned, down to carseland weir - why? when i think of The Blue Ribbon Bow as a world renowned flyfishing destination - im sorry, motorized boats dont come to mind. i could only guess at the horror a guide must feel, taking 500$ plus from a couple guys who flew to calgary from afar, only to have a beautiful day interupted by a screaming boat...

motorized boats are for lakes, not rivers. just one guys opinion.

"amen. I've had dozens over the years say they would not be back due to that very thing. they came for a peaceful fly fishing experience, not a gong show. hell I even had a couple folks last summer parked in a side channel fishing and a jet came and did a lap around us. another one did donuts around us just up from mackinnon's. this sort of stuff is a joke and puts off people from spending the tourism dollars in calgary buying food, fuel, fishing tackle, and a whole lot of other things that keep albertan's in business.

so yes I feel pretty strongly about having no motorized boats on the bow above carseland, but I also realize they are extremely handy and a great fishing tool if used properly. It's kind of like quads... the asshats ruin it for all the responsible folks."

The post you were responding to clearly states in black and white BAN JET BOATS ON THE BOW, your selfish guide response to put more money in your pocket " amen. I've had dozens over the years say they would not be back due to that very thing. they came for a peaceful fly fishing experience, not a gong show." Or maybe I didn't understand when you said "so yes I feel pretty strongly about having no motorized boats on the bow above carseland" your right I must not have read your post.

So now your saying it is Albertan's saying this to you or maybe just people from other provinces and not Americans? Regardless of who it is your point is quite clear, you make a living off of rowing people down the river. Apparently the jet boats harrass you and your clients destroying the whole pimping scenario, they are left to upset to tip and so distraught they won't come back so you can pimp the river out again for aother $500 off of them.

The fact is guide, I don't see you or even worry about you once I have left the boat launch. I fish first water until late in the afternoon when the flotilla of guides that launched from upstream are finally making their way down to me. Do I go and circle the boats one at a time and swamp them before heading down river, no. I head back down and fish thru the strectches below the launch that have been rested since the last drift boats of the morning went by.

"Now back to your concocted twisting of the truth to attempt to make guides look like the idiots. We are the ones trying to protect the very resource you feel so strongly about. Didnt see your name donating to streamwatch lately." If you are implying guides are the only people interested in protecting the river nice try. Before I had kids I voluntered for 5yrs on the Trout Unlimited Calgary Dinner Committee. I worked towards bringing large oil industry items to the auction that were pre-sold and donated by industry. The result of my work led to a change in what and how the dinner was organized. This one change made this one night fund raiser the largest fund raiser Trout Unlimited has increasing the money raised from $200k in a night to over the $1,000,000. So to answer your question yes I have contributed in fact I'm sure it would add up to allot more then you would ever contribute.

So getting back to the message you are trying to put across, BAN JET BOATS from the Bow so I can make more money pimping the river, whatever. The Bow flows thru a city of over 1,000,000 people and guess what some of us have jet boats. I don't care if you want to strut around at a boat launch crowing how awesome you are. Just get in your boat and get going. I can patiently wait until your gone because I'm not going your way anyway. But BAN me from personally enjoying a river that flows in my city so you can have it for yourself to pimp out and make $500 plus mandatory tip, good luck to you.

Caught some of my biggest browns on the Red Deer with jets zipping by all day. I don't have a problem with them myself as far as fishing goes. Now if i owned land on the river and a foot of it at a time was falling into the river because of prop wash then ya I would be pissed. Ive seen that to many times actually.

Really, your going to start with that argument now. Come on, how stupid do you take people to be. A river is constantly erroding and moving on its own. The banks are being erroded and cut every day by the river as it flows. Did you overlook the fact that a river is moving sediment off of one cutbank to deposit on the next inside channel corner bar everyday or overlook that the bedload of the river moves constantly because the river is constanly flowing. The wake from a boat is not going to even begin to have any impact on a river. Rivers flow and rivers migrate all on their own, they don't move because jet boats go by, come on. Let me guess you must also believe that man is responsible for global warming and the hole in the ozone layer so we should probably ban jet boats.

Jet boats must be the reason that seam that fished so good two years ago is now filled in and the channel shifted. It can't be anything else, we need to get rid of those jet boats before my next honey hole gets filled in. Rivers change, slots move but guess what, the fish move when the slots move and you find them again wherever the slot moved to. I don't buy what your selling, I'm still going to take my jet boat out and fish first water most of the day and I will sleep ok with the knowledge I am not destroying the river and making it migrate out of its existing valley.

It's very well established that, in certain cases, prop wash can have a serious effect on bank erosion. But riverbanks and waves are very dynamic, and some scientific testing would need to be done to determine whether this is one of those cases. This being Alberta, and the way the Harper govt is going regarding the environment, I'm not holding my breath.

It's very well established that, in certain cases, prop wash can have a serious effect on bank erosion. But riverbanks and waves are very dynamic, and some scientific testing would need to be done to determine whether this is one of those cases. This being Alberta, and the way the Harper govt is going regarding the environment, I'm not holding my breath.

It's irrelavent given the amount run off punishes the banks every year. The amount of jet boats is very small on the bow.

Guest NamasteMushroom
Let me guess you must also believe that man is responsible for global warming and the hole in the ozone layer so we should probably ban jet boats.

.... and the world is flat.

Guest NamasteMushroom

Indeed.

It is well established, even in rivers that experience seasonal spring flooding. That said, I don't believe the Jet Boat traffic is heavy enough at this point that bank erosion is that significant- yet.

The 2-stroke motors still being used are pretty bad though; the fuel is not completely burned as compared to 4-stroke engine, and as such residual fuel spills into the river. This kills several small aquatic organisms....go snorkel the lake around Kelowna and you can see firsthand the damage 2-stroke motors cause.

Indeed.

It is well established, even in rivers that experience seasonal spring flooding. That said, I don't believe the Jet Boat traffic is heavy enough at this point that bank erosion is that significant- yet.

The 2-stroke motors still being used are pretty bad though; the fuel is not completely burned as compared to 4-stroke engine, and as such residual fuel spills into the river. This kills several small aquatic organisms....go snorkel the lake around Kelowna and you can see firsthand the damage 2-stroke motors cause.

I knew if the card was played that the wake is erroding the river bank that this one on 2-stroke motors was coming. I would bet that all of the jet boat traffic combined on the river doesn't even begin to add up to less than a 0.005% of the pollution that it introduced by the City of Calgary sewer system and runoff from cars on the city streets. Come on people time to get real, all your talking about is restricting the river for your own use period. In the case of a guide for selfish reasons of greed. Why don't we call a spade a spade and really think about the repercussions of what banning means.

How many people on this forum fished the Elk River for cuththoart before they made it classified water. This initative was spearheaded by the guides pimping the Elk. It was to keep Albertans off so they could get more Americans to come and fill there personal bank accounts because the Albertans didn't need them to catch fish. I would say it didn't work out to well for Fernie though. The Albertans have stopped coming in droves because for the most part we don't want to pay a daily fee to fish and the flyshops, resturants, gas stations and hotels are paying for it. So why would I as an Albertan want to sit back and let one group dictate who and how our river gets used. I for one will not sit by and go quietly into the night so some guide can pimp the river while preventing me form using it so he can benefit financially from the change of use and I can't fish it.

And for the record who cares if a jet boat wake makes the bank muddy for a minute or moves some sediment into the river, the river is going to eventually take the bank anyway that what rivers do.

Guest NamasteMushroom
I knew if the card was played that the wake is erroding the river bank that this one on 2-stroke motors was coming. I would bet that all of the jet boat traffic combined on the river doesn't even begin to add up to less than a 0.005% of the pollution that it introduced by the City of Calgary sewer system and runoff from cars on the city streets. Come on people time to get real, all your talking about is restricting the river for your own use period. In the case of a guide for selfish reasons of greed. Why don't we call a spade a spade and really think about the repercussions of what banning means.

How many people on this forum fished the Elk River for cuththoart before they made it classified water. This initative was spearheaded by the guides pimping the Elk. It was to keep Albertans off so they could get more Americans to come and fill there personal bank accounts because the Albertans didn't need them to catch fish. I would say it didn't work out to well for Fernie though. The Albertans have stopped coming in droves because for the most part we don't want to pay a daily fee to fish and the flyshops, resturants, gas stations and hotels are paying for it. So why would I as an Albertan want to sit back and let one group dictate who and how our river gets used. I for one will not sit by and go quietly into the night so some guide can pimp the river while preventing me form using it so he can benefit financially from the change of use and I can't fish it.

And for the record who cares if a jet boat wake makes the bank muddy for a minute or moves some sediment into the river, the river is going to eventually take the bank anyway that what rivers do.

Consider this regarding the 2-Stroke motor.......

The two-stroke motor, found on 75 percent of all boats and personal watercraft (jet skis), generates 1.1 billion pounds of hydrocarbon emissions each year. These high emissions are attributed to the design inefficiency of the two-stroke motor, which has remained essentially unchanged since the 1940's.

Consider the following:

Twenty-five percent of the fuel and required oil that conventional two-strokes use most of it unburned is emitted directly into the water and air. According to the EPA, two-stroke engines discharge as much as 30 percent of their fuel and oil unburned directly into the water.

In the US, approximately 75 percent of all motorized boats and personal watercraft (14 million units) are powered by two-stroke engines.

Every year, marine two-stroke motors spill 15 times more oil and fuel into waterways than did the Exxon Valdez.

The EPA estimates that one hour of operation by a 70-horsepower two-stroke motor emits the same amount of hydrocarbon pollution as driving 5,000 miles in a modern automobile.

Two-strokes pose a serious threat to the marine environment

On the waterfront

Petrochemicals released from two-stroke motors float on the surface microlayer and settle within the estuarine and shallow ecosystems of bays, lakes, rivers, and oceans, where marine life is youngest and most vulnerable. These areas are the base of the food chain, inhabited by fish eggs, larvae, algae, crab, lobster, shrimp and zooplankton. Research demonstrates that chromosomal damage, reduced growth and high mortality rates of fish occur at extremely low levels of hydrocarbon pollution. Scientists believe that such pollution may bioaccumulate, poisoning much of the marine environment.

According to Michigan State's Dr. John Giesy, one of the world's leading experts on the toxicological effects of marine hydrocarbon pollution, the two-stroke emissions released into the water are up to 50,000 times more toxic under field conditions in the presence of the ultraviolet (UV) light in sunlight. This is due to polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), substances contained in petrochemicals that form highly toxic and persistent compounds known to be: (1) ubiquitous contaminants that bioconcentrate; (2) carcinogenic to mammals; and (3) acutely photo-toxic to aquatic organisms within minutes or hours.

Through controlled experiments, Dr. Giesy found that it takes .05 ppb (parts per billion) of PAHs in water to cause a 10 percent decrease in zooplankton; as little as 5 ppb (parts per billion) kills all zooplankton in a 30 minute test period. Sampling has found PAH levels substantially in excess of 5 ppb during recreational boating activity. PAH's are considered so dangerous that the N.Y. State Department of Environmental Conservation now regulates PAH's on the same toxicity level as PCB's.

And so I'm trying to figure this out, ....You believe 2-Stroke motors should be allowed because, although they pollute and destroy aquatic eco-systems, there are bigger polluters (please source) such as storm sewer water, global warming is a myth, and the decay of the ozone layer has nothing to do with humans....

I see your point about guides- and I see other peoples point about no jet boats - I really do. But their greed and your greed are the same. 'I'm protecting my resourse', 'I should be allowed to do this', 'this should be banned' blah blah blah.

All for what? So the angler/guide etc. etc. can get what they want; a fish on the end of their line, in their own little santuary.

Everyone needs to drop the 'steward of the environment' nonsense......it's such BS.

I tend to agree with protecting the environment, not by banning jet boats, maybe just 2 stroke engines, The boaters safety is supposed to cover the edicate part however writing the test at a boat show 4 times until you get it right maybe isn't the most educational.

What I am really looking forward to is the fleets of Calgary's finest, floating the river on anything inflatable spewing garbage and "enjoying the river"

I am taking the side of the environment on this one, not banning boats or other people's rights to use the river, just respect for the river and the other people using it.

A jet boat is less irritating to me than the guy that throws a stick in the water for his dog (not in the dog park) and wonders why you are giving him a dirty look. Or the family that rolled up beside me the other day with 3 kids throwing rocks in the water and stomping around on the shore.

Acually lets ban boats, dogs and kids from the river.

Really, your going to start with that argument now. Come on, how stupid do you take people to be. A river is constantly erroding and moving on its own. The banks are being erroded and cut every day by the river as it flows. Did you overlook the fact that a river is moving sediment off of one cutbank to deposit on the next inside channel corner bar everyday or overlook that the bedload of the river moves constantly because the river is constanly flowing. The wake from a boat is not going to even begin to have any impact on a river. Rivers flow and rivers migrate all on their own, they don't move because jet boats go by, come on. Let me guess you must also believe that man is responsible for global warming and the hole in the ozone layer so we should probably ban jet boats.

Jet boats must be the reason that seam that fished so good two years ago is now filled in and the channel shifted. It can't be anything else, we need to get rid of those jet boats before my next honey hole gets filled in. Rivers change, slots move but guess what, the fish move when the slots move and you find them again wherever the slot moved to. I don't buy what your selling, I'm still going to take my jet boat out and fish first water most of the day and I will sleep ok with the knowledge I am not destroying the river and making it migrate out of its existing valley.

From your response pretty stupid actually, next time all state the obvious for your reading pleasure.

I knew if the card was played that the wake is erroding the river bank that this one on 2-stroke motors was coming.

Then there's those idiots that try crossing the rivers on their sleds. Frickin idiots, they should know better than to try that without trolling a big fat rapalla behind them. What a waste of gas.

From your response pretty stupid actually, next time all state the obvious for your reading pleasure.

And I am to assume your stating jet boats are responsible for the destruction and erossion of river banks isn't stupid I believe you said by a foot each time a boat passes is that statement intelligent? Come on, you know there is no truth to that statement and as already pointed out who cares a river is an actively moving environment that will move on its on course back and forth across its own valley eroding its banks as it does it.

My point on pollution, Banff, Canmore, Cochrane and Calgary which is well over 1,000,000 people and their associated garbage live along the Bow River. Anyone who fishes the river along these streches and south of Calgary is fully aware of the pollution that these 4 cities are introducing into the river every day. We all see it wade over it boat by it and even occasionally snag it while fishing. Removing jet boats from the river will do nothing towards cleaning up this problem. It is an unrealistic expectation to force upon one group of people using a resource. So you get my jet boat banned from the river. I drive down to policeman's and walk and wade thru all of the garbage the following year wondering how having banned my jet boat from the river made the situation any better since it didn't turn off any of the garbage that is coming into the river from the cities every day.

I guess on a plus note I can look forward to walking two or three miles to have a guide in a drift boat pull in to the bank I'm currently fishing to be low holed by a guide who informs me with "I'm a guide these people are paying to fish here find someplace else to fish its no big deal". I agree there are lots of people who want to share the same resource but how is a guide in a drift boat low holing a wade and walk fisherman out of a spot they walked two or three miles to get to any different then a jet boat harrassing a drift boat.

Should we ban drift boats for the walk and wade fisherman next, where does this end? There are lots of people trying to use the same resource because there are lots of people here, I would think that a little common courtesy would be the better solution and all groups continue to enjoy the river as best they can without interfering with the other users day. The only inconvience I deal with if it even is one is waiting for the drift boats to put in, after that once I'm in the water I don't have a issue for the rest of the day. I don't need to race drift boats to slots and I don't take holes or try and share holes with a guy that has walked a couple of miles and I still catch my fish. I get on a hot bank I can drive to the top and drift down fishing using the oars and if the fish are still going I can drive back up and drift it again.

My only issue with this entire thread is why ban me? I don't interfer with anyone else's day I don't need to to have a great day on the river so why ban my boat from the river? What does it accomplish? I have ever right to fish the Bow as any other Calgarian if I don't intrude or interfer with your day why should you be able to impact my day. And for the record don't dump on trolling a rapala behind a jet boat until you've tried it you can get some nice fish doing it, just saying.

I don't own a jet boat, and likely never will. I have fished in one, and it's owner was certainly not an ***hat (though he catches way too many damn fish). We fished very late in the afternoon into the evening below Police both times I've been on one Never even saw another drift boat.

There are a few things that always stick out to me in these sort of threads-the idea that some outside influence ruins your fishing. So much of it comes from our natural inclination to blame ANYTHING we can for the fishing sucking at any particular moment. If I'm catching fish every so often, a jet boat comes by (or a drift boat, or another fisherman gets too close, or whatever) and the fishing slows down, I have a ready made target to blame for the change. I wish I could come up with a reason for the 1000s of other times the fishing shut down without somebody coming in and screwing it up for me. Or had an explanation for the times the fishing sucked, one of the outside influences raised their ugly head, and the fishing picked up. I think we assign way, way too much blame on these distractions. We want to find reasons for things, but in many cases our reasons are absolute and total bs.

The other is this seeming need for "tranquility".If you are fishing the Bow expecting tranquility, in far too many cases you are setting yourself up for disappointment. I find it pretty hard to sympathize with someone who gets pissed about the ruckus on a river that runs through a city with a million people in it. Frankly, I'm just glad the damn thing has fish in it! If you are looking for tranquility when you fish, go to the mountains. If you are fortunate enough to find tranquility on a fishing day, relish it. But don't get all pissy when you can't find it or you are going to spend a lot of days all pissy. And that's no good for anyone.

It wouldn't break my heart if they eliminated Jet Boats from the Bow. But I can't in good conscience call for them to be banned. Lots of people have spent lots of money on these things, with them being perfectly legal. Doesn't seem fair if they were to suddenly be eliminated from the river they were bought for.

Now if everyone would follow Dave's rules, all would be great. But not everyone will. Whatever the case, don't let it ruin your day!

Well said.

And I am to assume your stating jet boats are responsible for the destruction and erossion of river banks isn't stupid I believe you said by a foot each time a boat passes is that statement intelligent? Come on, you know there is no truth to that statement and as already pointed out who cares a river is an actively moving environment that will move on its on course back and forth across its own valley eroding its banks as it does it.

My point on pollution, Banff, Canmore, Cochrane and Calgary which is well over 1,000,000 people and their associated garbage live along the Bow River. Anyone who fishes the river along these streches and south of Calgary is fully aware of the pollution that these 4 cities are introducing into the river every day. We all see it wade over it boat by it and even occasionally snag it while fishing. Removing jet boats from the river will do nothing towards cleaning up this problem. It is an unrealistic expectation to force upon one group of people using a resource. So you get my jet boat banned from the river. I drive down to policeman's and walk and wade thru all of the garbage the following year wondering how having banned my jet boat from the river made the situation any better since it didn't turn off any of the garbage that is coming into the river from the cities every day.

I guess on a plus note I can look forward to walking two or three miles to have a guide in a drift boat pull in to the bank I'm currently fishing to be low holed by a guide who informs me with "I'm a guide these people are paying to fish here find someplace else to fish its no big deal". I agree there are lots of people who want to share the same resource but how is a guide in a drift boat low holing a wade and walk fisherman out of a spot they walked two or three miles to get to any different then a jet boat harrassing a drift boat.

Should we ban drift boats for the walk and wade fisherman next, where does this end? There are lots of people trying to use the same resource because there are lots of people here, I would think that a little common courtesy would be the better solution and all groups continue to enjoy the river as best they can without interfering with the other users day. The only inconvience I deal with if it even is one is waiting for the drift boats to put in, after that once I'm in the water I don't have a issue for the rest of the day. I don't need to race drift boats to slots and I don't take holes or try and share holes with a guy that has walked a couple of miles and I still catch my fish. I get on a hot bank I can drive to the top and drift down fishing using the oars and if the fish are still going I can drive back up and drift it again.

My only issue with this entire thread is why ban me? I don't interfer with anyone else's day I don't need to to have a great day on the river so why ban my boat from the river? What does it accomplish? I have ever right to fish the Bow as any other Calgarian if I don't intrude or interfer with your day why should you be able to impact my day. And for the record don't dump on trolling a rapala behind a jet boat until you've tried it you can get some nice fish doing it, just saying.

You still quoting me and arguing with yourself, you remind me of a politician. Man you really go off on your own little tangents, pretty sure all of us know how mother nature works. Also pretty sure all of know it takes more than one jet going by to cave in a bank.

For the most part lots of sections on the Red Deer can take the wave action, but theres a lot that cant take it too. Now I don't know if it takes a week of 10 boats a day going by 3 times each or if it takes a month. Big difference losing land to mother nature and losing a few extra feet a year to jet boats too. If it was my land I would be fighting for it.

Really I could careless about jet boats and driftboats and guides. I go fishing I deal with whatever I find out there and I still catch enough fish to be happy.

After all that has been said and done about drift boats, low holing, jet boats, and inconsiderate fisherpeople, I have decided to forego my jet, sell the drift, and am purchasing this for the river this year

!

See you on the water!!! :drinked:

Cgyguy

Guest JBear

After only being on the river once so far this year, i saw 1 other drift boat, 5 jets. It was frustrating because not a single one of the jets showed any respect for the guys on the bank, or us. I don't know if a ban should be put in place, but almost something sort of like a limit? Where the river only allows X many number of jets on the river, or maybe a permit where it costs you X number of dollars per month or something? Although if you're going to limit one type of boat, then you likely have to limit others so the same can be said for drift boats.

I'm not completely sure on where i stand on this matter but i am leaning more towards the anti jet side. But if there isn't going to be a ban, or a limit put in place, i'd just like to see some etiquette. Because i know that having a jet rip down through the water in July does put the dry fly fishing down, for a solid length of time, long enough that you lose that entire bank on your float through. Same with when they run up a run while you're upstream floating, you know that run is shot, while maybe not for the whole day, but for the 10 seconds you get to fish it on your float through it.

On the back of our drift boat, we have a long shaft motor, that gets up the runs, while it doesn't do it quickly like a jet, it does the job and causes little wake if any, that being said during low water conditions right now, using the motor makes no sense, and just causes problems for people in the river and the other drift boats.

Bottom line, everyone has to respect everyone. But there will always still be some complainers.

After only being on the river once so far this year, i saw 1 other drift boat, 5 jets. It was frustrating because not a single one of the jets showed any respect for the guys on the bank, or us. I don't know if a ban should be put in place, but almost something sort of like a limit? Where the river only allows X many number of jets on the river, or maybe a permit where it costs you X number of dollars per month or something? Although if you're going to limit one type of boat, then you likely have to limit others so the same can be said for drift boats.

I'm not completely sure on where i stand on this matter but i am leaning more towards the anti jet side. But if there isn't going to be a ban, or a limit put in place, i'd just like to see some etiquette. Because i know that having a jet rip down through the wOdater in July does put the dry fly fishing down, for a solid length of time, long enough that you lose that entire bank on your float through. Same with when they run up a run while you're upstream floating, you know that run is shot, while maybe not for the whole day, but for the 10 seconds you get to fish it on your float through it.

On the back of our drift boat, we have a long shaft motor, that gets up the runs, while it doesn't do it quickly like a jet, it does the job and causes little wake if any, that being said during low water conditions right now, using the motor makes no sense, and just causes problems for people in the river and the other drift boats.

Bottom line, everyone has to respect everyone. But there will always still be some complainers.

Question for ya, how did I show you no respect when you floated past my kids and I. I'm quite curious as to what you expect from people. Was the boat anchored at the bottom of the run and everyone in the boat Saying hello as you floated past, not enough for you?

Guest JBear

Sorry, I over generalized. My apologies. You guys defenitely weren't the issue. Just had the 4 other groups run right by us a few times. Again my apologies.

And this is speaking from other times too, not just the one trip. 2 years ago I almost got run over by a jet in my pontoon by another forum member. Wasn't too happy about that.

I'm not completely sure on where i stand on this matter but i am leaning more towards the anti jet side. But if there isn't going to be a ban, or a limit put in place, i'd just like to see some etiquette. Because i know that having a jet rip down through the water in July does put the dry fly fishing down, for a solid length of time, long enough that you lose that entire bank on your float through. Same with when they run up a run while you're upstream floating, you know that run is shot, while maybe not for the whole day, but for the 10 seconds you get to fish it on your float through it.

1. Can you explain how and why you assume a jet puts rising fish down after you only drift by ONCE at current speed and continue to move downriver past the feeding fish/or pod of fish??

2. Lets not regulate jet boats lets have a rod day system for the guides. They are the ones that need regulation not jets.

Guest JBear

Well its simple really, watch for rising fish, jet goes by, rising comes to an end. If you read my post thoroughly, im saying the exact same thing can be said for drifts boats. Im just throwing in my 2 cents, i have also had some other tools in drift boats show poor etiquette too. Rod day system is definitely a possibility. Im not strongly for the "ban", or strongly against.

This thread is awesome, we live in a city of 1,000,000 and we all have the right to use the water. If you can't fish successfully behind a jet, drifter, pontoon or walker go after cutthroat. This thread stinks of jealousy, i get low holed by each type of user almost every time i'm on the water... But i understand i'm lucky to be on the water.