Fly Fusion Forums

Put A Power Boat Ban On The Bow

Yes I realise that... My point was a reference to the ongoing reputation of this site by some... It was meant to be tonge and cheek!! Maybe I should have used a :P LoL My mistake!!

P

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wading east of Police several weeks ago. There were more jet boats then I’ve ever seen on the Bow. They were actually jockeying for position at the launch. This was one of the crappiest days on the Bow I’ve had, the constant jet boat traffic was just demoralizing. After one instance of far-too-close (at least in my opinion) it got the point of having to ask “Why the hell am I here? This is just miserable”, I packed up and left. It really is sad to see this fantastic river go this way. The Bow is too small for these boats, it’s just a matter of time till they hit someone. From what I’m seeing I have little confidence in many of these driver’s ability to follow right-of-way rules on a river this size.

The point is really from what I saw that day and it's not even summer yet just blew my mind with the traffic and abuse of these motorized boats.

And yeah if this keeps up it may have that impact of people not wanting to come and fish this premier trout fishery. Thus having an impact on

guiding, fly shops etc. and great places to go fishing without feeling like your going to be swamped or run over.

I love how everyone loves to throw the BAN word around when they disagree with something the person next to them is doing . The percentage of jet boats to drift boats on the bow is small. I have had drift boats, jet boats and pntoon boats go through my runs while wading the bow so does that mean we should BAN all boats on the bow?

My big question is why do we care so much about those who guide on the Bow? Everyone has complained about how busy the river is getting and what effect these jet boats will have on guides, fly shops and tourists coming to fish our waters. Well if we limit the guides using the Bow for personal gains would it not relieve the stress of overcrowding and in return lessen the problems we all run into on this busy river system?

And for those who would like to see motorized boats banned like on the Elk, should we follow in BC's footsteps and charge extra fees for every non-resident on the Bow?

At the end of the day it all comes down to respecting your fellow angler and the river itself, and if everyone where to do so the river system would be a much more pleasent place to fish. Unfortunately you will always have a few rednecks who like to show off there jet boat and are asses just like you will always have guides who will paddle infront of other drift boats and take there water so that their client(s) will hopefully get their $550 worth.

Guest NamasteMushroom
I love how everyone loves to throw the BAN word around when they disagree with something the person next to them is doing

Indeed, like all of the fly fisherman who lobbied for C & R only streams (banning retention), and bait bans.

I guess it's ok to push banning something when it suits your agenda, and it's ok to use your argument when you see nothing wrong with it?

Sorry dude, but to argue the philosophy of 'banning' something or not in this community doesn't hold a jet's engine worth of water; aka hypocrisy.

Personally, if I was spending $500.00 to enjoy nature, I would be bothered more by the thousands of golf balls, dirty syringes and tampon applicators floating through the runs. Nothing says the great outdoors like catching a used condom!

And for those who would like to see motorized boats banned like on the Elk, should we follow in BC's footsteps and charge extra fees for every non-resident on the Bow?

Definitely, but thats a whole other can of worms.

No real opinion on Jets, lots of opinions on some guys who run them though.

They do have their place on the river, just like the Lambo's and Ferrari's on Deerfoot. :whistle:

Colin

I have been seeing this thread become just one thing. OPIONATED! and that is whta fly fisherman are, we are the most opinonated people you will ever meet! With everyone having different viewpoints no matter what happens someone is always going to be pissed off at the end of the day. My question to all of you is why are you fighting a "fight you can't win" (due to different perspectives, a agreement will be hard to make) why are we not concentrating our efforts as fly fisher man and anlgers on maybe even more important issues that need to be addressed like a zero kill on the bow and river and streams around southern alberta, putting more bait bans in place, banning treble hooks becuase we know how much damage those hooks can do to trout! These issues at least a solid group (fly fisherman) can agree on and be able to acheive with a goal of really having a big impact on the out fisheries, because at the end of the day no one will want to float/jet or w&w the bow when our fishery has been destroyed not by jet boats but everything from the tubers littering, poaching, and the amount of fish that are kept out of the river each year. The reality is that i personally think there are much more important issues to be addressed.

As for the jet boat issue, i believe everyone has the right to fish this river. It is not the jet boats themselves it is only a handful a operators that do not use them properly and very honestly piss me off. I do not think that they should be banned and ruin it for all of the other jet boat owners that respectfully use their boats ubt rather punish those idiot repeat offenders. I do agree that i feel that the river is my get away place where i want to go when i need a little more quiet, but honestly FELLOW FLY FISHERMAN that low hole you piss me off alot more than a jet.

And the reality is yes, when i am looking for snouts and jet goes by yes it turns them off, but for only 5 minutes then they are back into their rythem.....so really i think some people are jealous but hey thats just my thought.

i have encountered jet skiers on the river i think that those ****ing things should be banned, they are rude with the use of them and they could just as easily taken those things on a lake where i wasnt hunting snouts.

just my 2 cents

Kyle Snarr

Guest NamasteMushroom
I have been seeing this thread become just one thing. OPIONATED! and that is whta fly fisherman are, we are the most opinonated people you will ever meet! With everyone having different viewpoints no matter what happens someone is always going to be pissed off at the end of the day. My question to all of you is why are you fighting a "fight you can't win" (due to different perspectives, a agreement will be hard to make) why are we not concentrating our efforts as fly fisher man and anlgers on maybe even more important issues that need to be addressed like a zero kill on the bow and river and streams around southern alberta, putting more bait bans in place, banning treble hooks becuase we know how much damage those hooks can do to trout! These issues at least a solid group (fly fisherman) can agree on and be able to acheive with a goal of really having a big impact on the out fisheries, because at the end of the day no one will want to float/jet or w&w the bow when our fishery has been destroyed not by jet boats but everything from the tubers littering, poaching, and the amount of fish that are kept out of the river each year. The reality is that i personally think there are much more important issues to be addressed.

As for the jet boat issue, i believe everyone has the right to fish this river. It is not the jet boats themselves it is only a handful a operators that do not use them properly and very honestly piss me off. I do not think that they should be banned and ruin it for all of the other jet boat owners that respectfully use their boats ubt rather punish those idiot repeat offenders. I do agree that i feel that the river is my get away place where i want to go when i need a little more quiet, but honestly FELLOW FLY FISHERMAN that low hole you piss me off alot more than a jet.

And the reality is yes, when i am looking for snouts and jet goes by yes it turns them off, but for only 5 minutes then they are back into their rythem.....so really i think some people are jealous but hey thats just my thought.

i have encountered jet skiers on the river i think that those ****ing things should be banned, they are rude with the use of them and they could just as easily taken those things on a lake where i wasnt hunting snouts.

just my 2 cents

Kyle Snarr

I'm not sure if you can see the irony........

I'm a Fly Fisherman, and I don't believe all streams should be catch and release. In fact, I believe there should be serious limits on C & R. Many streams in Southern Alberta would benefit from limited C & R coupled with optional retention.

I really have a huge problem with excessive catch and release fishing; and there is evidence that suggests it is detrimental to fisheries. If you look at the statistics (some are in McLennan's first edition of BRB) you'll note that in the 80s there was a significantly larger population of catchable fish/km in the Bow than recent statistics suggest....and a lot more anglers fishing the river now- go figure. And yes, the average size of the fish is larger; makes sense-more food-less competition.

If we get Environment Canada’s forecasted drought and above seasonal temperatures this summer, and the water temperature sky rockets....I wonder how many devote concerned Fly Fisherman will voluntarily stop fishing?

I’m rambling…..sorry. I do agree with some of your points though such as littering etc.

Good comments from both sides on this issue. I have recently moved from a driftboat to a Zodiac with a jet. The reason - i have bursitis and cannot row anymore and if i do, i end up with Popeye elbow. My boat is a little under 14 feet and I DO slow down for angers as I pass them. My overall take on this, is the same as everyones (it"s the attitude of the operator of any water craft) that makes a good boater or an Ass#$.

I also think that there should be some sort of a size limit as to the motor limits for the bow, as well as length restrictions. I have fished many times below the Carseland bridge, and was very amused a few years ago, when we came back to find an 18 foot Larson with a 75 horse propellor stuck in the river and buried below the prop. Don't know how he faired out,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Anyhoo, my 2 cents worth. I will always do my best to respect all fishers whether they are in a boat or wading from shore when I am in my Zodiac (which is NOT RED BTW <--poke--< )!

Have a safe outing!

Cgyguy

motorized boats should be banned, down to carseland weir - why? when i think of The Blue Ribbon Bow as a world renowned flyfishing destination - im sorry, motorized boats dont come to mind. i could only guess at the horror a guide must feel, taking 500$ plus from a couple guys who flew to calgary from afar, only to have a beautiful day interupted by a screaming boat...

motorized boats are for lakes, not rivers. just one guys opinion.

amen. I've had dozens over the years say they would not be back due to that very thing. they came for a peaceful fly fishing experience, not a gong show. hell I even had a couple folks last summer parked in a side channel fishing and a jet came and did a lap around us. another one did donuts around us just up from mackinnon's. this sort of stuff is a joke and puts off people from spending the tourism dollars in calgary buying food, fuel, fishing tackle, and a whole lot of other things that keep albertan's in business.

so yes I feel pretty strongly about having no motorized boats on the bow above carseland, but I also realize they are extremely handy and a great fishing tool if used properly. It's kind of like quads... the asshats ruin it for all the responsible folks.

Unfortunately there are way more asshats then responsible folk!!

I am reposting this for 2 reasons:

1. You are absolutely correct.

2. I realized that I do not use the word '***hat' nearly enough.

Was out on my pontoon boat floating and fishing with a couple of friends on Satruday from Policeman's Flat's to Mckinnon Flats and we

had at least five Jet type boat fly right by us without slowing down. They nearly swapped us with there waves. One of the times I even

used my hand to get them to slow down and with no respect they just kept the same speed. WOW is about all I can say. How disrepectful

can you be and man boat like that should totally be banned on the Bow River System.

Sorry but I just needed to rant about that. Other than that the fishing/float was amazing.

Okay these are some rules I try to follow to try my best at not bothering anyone or creating conflict.

#1 , DON'T put your jet in the river on the weekends during the day during busy season, to crowded with drift boats & pontoons and walk & waders. Usually okay later in the day as most of the boats are deep to Mackinnons or coming into Police.

#2 , For the most part keep to the middle of the river when running.

#3, Stay on plane when going by , slowing down creates a 6 foot wake and helps no one. The sooner you are by the better.

#4 Try to use the jet as transportation for the most part,get to your bank or run and get your fat ass out and walk, don't float a run over & over & over.

#4 If you come upon a pod of drift boats give them a wide berth going by, I usually kill the motor and row through.

Maybe 10% of the time you will get a nod of thanks but that doesn't matter you are doing the right thing.

#5, If you see drift boats coming from upstraem & you are parked, wait for then to float by then fire up and go by.

# 6 Don't use your jet to LOW HOLE anyone.

These are some personal rules I try to follow, you may not agree but have worked for the most part well for me since ,95. I WANT ZERO CONFLICT with anyone, this is my time out there for relaxing and having fun and keeping a low profile.

It usually isn't recieved well but I have made a few polite suggestions to new guy's out there trying to get them to understand how important it keep jets as low impact as possible, you may own a boat but not know the first thing about how to use it.

dave

amen. I've had dozens over the years say they would not be back due to that very thing. they came for a peaceful fly fishing experience, not a gong show. hell I even had a couple folks last summer parked in a side channel fishing and a jet came and did a lap around us. another one did donuts around us just up from mackinnon's. this sort of stuff is a joke and puts off people from spending the tourism dollars in calgary buying food, fuel, fishing tackle, and a whole lot of other things that keep albertan's in business.

so yes I feel pretty strongly about having no motorized boats on the bow above carseland, but I also realize they are extremely handy and a great fishing tool if used properly. It's kind of like quads... the asshats ruin it for all the responsible folks.

Besides a guide who really cares what an American thinks about our river. You fish I'm sure this isn't the only river you fish and you have probably fished in the US or at least the lower mainland in BC which is as heavily populated as most areas of the US. Any american who fishes that tells you he isn't coming back because he saw a jet boat is full of it. They will come back if they enjoyed their outing and that is on you not whether a boat went by.

Imagine that, a guide wants to BAN jet boats so americans can enjoy their day. The guy in the jet boat is an Albertan so how about you let him enjoy his day and the 99% of the guys fishing out them will be courteous as usual even sitting back to let the holier then thou guides launch their drift boat first so they can row off making their $500 pimping the river. All this talk is about one thing only ,"lets restrict the resource so I can benefit from it".

I have a tip for you new pontoon owners and driftboat pimps if you don't want to be run over by a jetboat then don't drop your anchor in the middle of the only water deep enough in a stretch for a jet boat to get thru safely. I have had a jet on the river for 12yrs and know how to reduce my wake to safely pass. I have not ever run anyone over or swamped a boat but have on to many occasions had to turn back up or down river because a driftboat had dropped anchor in the only water passable. In fact I rarely see another boat once I've left the launch I find the drift boats and pontoons have trouble rowing upstream from the launch to keep up. I pretty much spend the entire day to myself.

Good Luck with your quest to remove Albertans from enjoying their waters so you can pimp more money off the americans on your own private river. Be sure and send me a copy of your petition I'll sign it for sure.

I don't own a jet boat, and likely never will. I have fished in one, and it's owner was certainly not an ***hat (though he catches way too many damn fish). We fished very late in the afternoon into the evening below Police both times I've been on one Never even saw another drift boat.

There are a few things that always stick out to me in these sort of threads-the idea that some outside influence ruins your fishing. So much of it comes from our natural inclination to blame ANYTHING we can for the fishing sucking at any particular moment. If I'm catching fish every so often, a jet boat comes by (or a drift boat, or another fisherman gets too close, or whatever) and the fishing slows down, I have a ready made target to blame for the change. I wish I could come up with a reason for the 1000s of other times the fishing shut down without somebody coming in and screwing it up for me. Or had an explanation for the times the fishing sucked, one of the outside influences raised their ugly head, and the fishing picked up. I think we assign way, way too much blame on these distractions. We want to find reasons for things, but in many cases our reasons are absolute and total bs.

The other is this seeming need for "tranquility".If you are fishing the Bow expecting tranquility, in far too many cases you are setting yourself up for disappointment. I find it pretty hard to sympathize with someone who gets pissed about the ruckus on a river that runs through a city with a million people in it. Frankly, I'm just glad the damn thing has fish in it! If you are looking for tranquility when you fish, go to the mountains. If you are fortunate enough to find tranquility on a fishing day, relish it. But don't get all pissy when you can't find it or you are going to spend a lot of days all pissy. And that's no good for anyone.

It wouldn't break my heart if they eliminated Jet Boats from the Bow. But I can't in good conscience call for them to be banned. Lots of people have spent lots of money on these things, with them being perfectly legal. Doesn't seem fair if they were to suddenly be eliminated from the river they were bought for.

Now if everyone would follow Dave's rules, all would be great. But not everyone will. Whatever the case, don't let it ruin your day!

I don't own a jet boat, and likely never will. I have fished in one, and it's owner was certainly not an ***hat (though he catches way too many damn fish). We fished very late in the afternoon into the evening below Police both times I've been on one Never even saw another drift boat.

There are a few things that always stick out to me in these sort of threads-the idea that some outside influence ruins your fishing. So much of it comes from our natural inclination to blame ANYTHING we can for the fishing sucking at any particular moment. If I'm catching fish every so often, a jet boat comes by (or a drift boat, or another fisherman gets too close, or whatever) and the fishing slows down, I have a ready made target to blame for the change. I wish I could come up with a reason for the 1000s of other times the fishing shut down without somebody coming in and screwing it up for me. Or had an explanation for the times the fishing sucked, one of the outside influences raised their ugly head, and the fishing picked up. I think we assign way, way too much blame on these distractions. We want to find reasons for things, but in many cases our reasons are absolute and total bs.

The other is this seeming need for "tranquility".If you are fishing the Bow expecting tranquility, in far too many cases you are setting yourself up for disappointment. I find it pretty hard to sympathize with someone who gets pissed about the ruckus on a river that runs through a city with a million people in it. Frankly, I'm just glad the damn thing has fish in it! If you are looking for tranquility when you fish, go to the mountains. If you are fortunate enough to find tranquility on a fishing day, relish it. But don't get all pissy when you can't find it or you are going to spend a lot of days all pissy. And that's no good for anyone.

It wouldn't break my heart if they eliminated Jet Boats from the Bow. But I can't in good conscience call for them to be banned. Lots of people have spent lots of money on these things, with them being perfectly legal. Doesn't seem fair if they were to suddenly be eliminated from the river they were bought for.

Now if everyone would follow Dave's rules, all would be great. But not everyone will. Whatever the case, don't let it ruin your day!

Verbose Tex verbose but otherwise pretty much right on the money

I thought you did the majority of your communication with just one finger? :angel:smail:

Not quite true Rev...only to people prone to yap on about 454 casulls

Besides a guide who really cares what an American thinks about our river. You fish I'm sure this isn't the only river you fish and you have probably fished in the US or at least the lower mainland in BC which is as heavily populated as most areas of the US. Any american who fishes that tells you he isn't coming back because he saw a jet boat is full of it. They will come back if they enjoyed their outing and that is on you not whether a boat went by.

Imagine that, a guide wants to BAN jet boats so americans can enjoy their day. The guy in the jet boat is an Albertan so how about you let him enjoy his day and the 99% of the guys fishing out them will be courteous as usual even sitting back to let the holier then thou guides launch their drift boat first so they can row off making their $500 pimping the river. All this talk is about one thing only ,"lets restrict the resource so I can benefit from it".

I have a tip for you new pontoon owners and driftboat pimps if you don't want to be run over by a jetboat then don't drop your anchor in the middle of the only water deep enough in a stretch for a jet boat to get thru safely. I have had a jet on the river for 12yrs and know how to reduce my wake to safely pass. I have not ever run anyone over or swamped a boat but have on to many occasions had to turn back up or down river because a driftboat had dropped anchor in the only water passable. In fact I rarely see another boat once I've left the launch I find the drift boats and pontoons have trouble rowing upstream from the launch to keep up. I pretty much spend the entire day to myself.

Good Luck with your quest to remove Albertans from enjoying their waters so you can pimp more money off the americans on your own private river. Be sure and send me a copy of your petition I'll sign it for sure.

did you even read my post before you hid behind another handle and started tossing verbal diahrea? I never called for a ban nor did I say I guide americans all the time. Matter of fact most of the folks I take out are good old canadian farmboys from alberta, sask or manitoba who cant believe how ignorant people are on the bow. Fact. Now back to your concocted twisting of the truth to attempt to make guides look like the idiots. We are the ones trying to protect the very resource you feel so strongly about. Didnt see your name donating to streamwatch lately.

did you even read my post before you hid behind another handle and started tossing verbal diahrea? I never called for a ban nor did I say I guide americans all the time. Matter of fact most of the folks I take out are good old canadian farmboys from alberta, sask or manitoba who cant believe how ignorant people are on the bow. Fact. Now back to your concocted twisting of the truth to attempt to make guides look like the idiots. We are the ones trying to protect the very resource you feel so strongly about. Didnt see your name donating to streamwatch lately.

BOOM well said! It is true, it is what the guides make their livings off of, why would they not want to protect the fisheries and resources? In a year i will hopefully start guiding and make my living off of this resource and i will do everything in my power to not only see our resource not get an worse, but i want to see it improve!

who is the governing body for boaters on rivers and lakes, performing enforcement, handing out fines for any infractions, etc?

do they ever frequent the bow river system? if so, how often?

does that agency have the equipment, manpower, resources, etc to do any patrolling or enforcement?

do you honestly think some of the true asshats mentioned will come to the table for discussion? do you think they will practice and follw courtesy rules? do you think they give a flying frak what pretty words you write here? do you think that maybe some of them actually enjoy being an ***hat?

ps - there are total ***hat w&w guys who can ruin your day just as fast as a jet boat. and there are some complete ***hat drift boaters too.

wanna see some change? start documenting, lobbying, and get some regualr patrols & enforcement.

see what the cfd did in the last few years with rafters in the city - still an issue but way way way more people getting the message they are sending...due to publicity, enforcement, patrols.

Tend to agree.

During their "guiding season" , not many guides fish because they are to busy. Therefor it has nothing to do with their own fishing experience but only that of their clients. All about the all oh mighty dollar.

How many jets on the river?

How many guides on the river?

Mmmm?

So let's try ban the small recreational group for our own selfish reasons. Shame on you.

Seems kind of wrong to me.

Maybe it's time the real jetboat rednecks from red deer, and all jet boat forums need a link to this discussion.

Pretty big community that supports alot of businesses. Flyfishing isn't the only recreational sport that gives to the community.

I think the guides have had it pretty easy here in comparison to most places. Any Tom, Dick, and Harry can buy a boat and call themselves a guide. Irrelevant to me weather they are any good or not cause its just another guide boat on the river that thinks its his river. Wtf? Regulations?

Good luck, this issue has been going on for alot more years than many of you realize.

PK