Fly Fusion Forums

Put A Power Boat Ban On The Bow

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the walk and waders, drift boats, recreational floaters all want the jet boats banned

The walk and waders, jet boats and rec floaters want the drift boats banned

the jet boats and drift boats and walk and waders want the rec floaters banned

and all the private property owners and enviromentalist want everyone banned

so where does this leave us? Who wins in the end?

This whole thread smells of Jealousy and greed. Unless every type of user on the river starts to respect the other user groups and respects the environment ie. littter, etc

then we are all going to see the gov't move in and put restrictions on everyone of us which in my opinion is not a step in the right direction.

So lets all grow up be civil and respect one another or we will lose our PRIVALEGE to use the bow the way we enjoy!

So paul, are you saying that the Bow is not only for Fly Fishermen, and that we should be willing to share with peoples who's vision of how to enjoy a river is not necessarily the same as our own? That's a shocking opinion. Wish more people had it.

I just looked at the poll and 50% of the voters to date (albeit a very small sample size so far) are for banning jet boats. I find that almost depressing to tell you the truth. As if the river is our sole domain, and no one else can enter . Not jet boats, or partying rafters, or dogs, or kids splashing in the water, or spin fishermen, or whoever else we can think of. Unless of course they stay 100s of yards away from us in our single minded quest to have it all to ourselves, all the time.

A friend of mine in the industry once said to me "I love fly fishing, but I hate fly fishermen." Sometimes, I do too.

Very well said Paul/Rick. Its funny, a few of my favorite experiences on the Bow have been non-fishing experiences. One was a simple float with my wife and dog and another with the Mrs. and our good friends from out of town. A third was a certain fly-fisherman's bachelor party in which we floated from Banff to Canmore....absolute hilarity!

Sean, REMEMBER our pledge!! What happens on the river stays on the river!! ;) LoL

P

A third was a certain fly-fisherman's bachelor party in which we floated from Banff to Canmore....absolute hilarity!

Guest Wrecker
amen. I've had dozens over the years say they would not be back due to that very thing. they came for a peaceful fly fishing experience, not a gong show. hell I even had a couple folks last summer parked in a side channel fishing and a jet came and did a lap around us. another one did donuts around us just up from mackinnon's. this sort of stuff is a joke and puts off people from spending the tourism dollars in calgary buying food, fuel, fishing tackle, and a whole lot of other things that keep albertan's in business.

so yes I feel pretty strongly about having no motorized boats on the bow above carseland, but I also realize they are extremely handy and a great fishing tool if used properly. It's kind of like quads... the asshats ruin it for all the responsible folks.

don't you work with the dude in the red hyde jet?

Well its simple really, watch for rising fish, jet goes by, rising comes to an end. If you read my post thoroughly, im saying the exact same thing can be said for drifts boats. Im just throwing in my 2 cents, i have also had some other tools in drift boats show poor etiquette too. Rod day system is definitely a possibility. Im not strongly for the "ban", or strongly against.

Rising comes to end end? For what a minute?When I use my jet for dry fly fishing, very often my first fish is caught casting from the boat.

PK