Fly Fusion Forums

Felt Alternative??

Guest Grinr

Guest Grinr

I'm in the market for some new feet and looking for opinions on what works well for wading the slippery,slimy,ankle twisters that seem to make up a fair percentage of the Bow's riverbed?I made the choice to avoid wearing felt for the last 6-7 years(?) now because I like stream hopping from one river to another,often times several different streams in a single day,and I'm self admittedly too much of a slacker to clean my boots properly between streams or even outings from one day to the next.I've been able to get by quite comfortably without felt for the last several years on my home waters back east,but since moving here last summer I've found much of the Bow to be amongst the slipperiest,most treacherous wading I've ever experienced.

I like the Korkers concept of interchangeable soles,but despite the generally positive reviews here on ffc as of late,in the past I've read a fair bit in regards to durability issues with them?How bout Simms Streamtread soles?Who uses them and how do you like them?Are they adequate as is,or do you recommend adding studs or star cleats?Speaking of which,I've never worn studs/cleats myself.....any pros/cons to them?I can't help but think they might be kinda noisy underwater on small,intimate streams,grinding on rocks and such?I dunno....just guessing??

I've used the streamtreads since they've been out, and love them. Have fished them both studded and unstudded. Never felt like I've needed the studs except for on winter ice shelves. Plus, no way I'm having studs in the boat while guiding. The simms are also notoriously long lasting..

If you find the Bow hard wading, and aren't worried about a boat (or if you're going in a friends, bring your own car mat), then get the studs. You won't notice a difference in how the fishing is, the noise of your boots won't give you away before your shadow or errant casting. You'll also notice that studding will extend the life of your soles significantly. The aluminums will stick better, but will wear down quicker...I'd do star cleats over the studs, the increase in price is worth it

My experience with my Simms is limited to 4 trips now. I have the Vibram Riversheds (I think, if I'm wrong bcube will correct me!). There is no comparison with the Vibram from Simms and the vibram substitute I had on my Korkers and on a pair of Guideline boots. The vibram substitute was like wading with ice skates on, no matter what the condition was. So far, the Simms have been like glue. I'm interested to see what they will be like when the moss comes back, but so far I'm really impressed.

Not a big fan of Korkers, owned a pair for just over a year, and ended up blowing out the heel on a canyon wall. I did put them through quite a bit of pain, but I think if your going to pay $200 for a boot then they should last a bit longer. I went with Simms for my second pair, and they seem absolutely bomb proof to me - I have just under two years into these with around 150-160 trips on all sorts of terrain without any major damage. I will be buying Simms again.

And I agree with pkk on the whole Studs & Boat thing.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i have no problem with studs and boats as they come out in about 30 seconds with a drill and from what i have seen Korkers suck hard kore! soles dont stey in, boas freeze and fabricas tear out. i only buy boots make of leather!

Simm's guide boot gets my vote. By far the best support and durability. These boots travel on and off the beaten trail and hold up. I have one pair with studs for the trail/ice shelves/bow river marbles, and one pair without studs for the boat and other elements.

If you decide to go with studs, try to avoid stepping on your line. Obviously not to good for it vs. the good old soft felt.

I have owned and destroyed korkers, chota, and orvis boots. Though these companies offer great innovations/ideas such as boa lacing, interchange souls, quick lace,...they just don't seem to handle the wear. Hopefully they can catch up.

These boots really intrigue me. I tried a variety of boots out last year, and had fit issues with the Simms and korkers. The Simms fit really wide and the korkers had pressure points. Fit is subjective however, I ended up with river walkers because the rock grips were on back order. My river walkers have held up really well, and they are really easy to get into and out of. I would image other Patagonia boots would be the same ( and if not they have an excellent warranty)

I've had the previous Patagonia Riverwalkers (felt) and they were awesome. After a few years I sent them back on a (minor) warrantee issue and they couldn't replace them with my size so refunded me the entire cost. After my Korkers eventually go, I'll be looking into another pair of Patagonias (though the replacable sole of the Korkers is VERY convenient as is the boa system, and I've NEVER had any issues with either in a year and a half - old version of the Guides - stitching is starting to come out on the right toe so I'll have to take them to a shoe maker to get them restitched)... I'd love to go with Simms but they are WAY too wide for my foot (even with a neo foot)...

P

These boots really intrigue me. I tried a variety of boots out last year, and had fit issues with the Simms and korkers. The Simms fit really wide and the korkers had pressure points. Fit is subjective however, I ended up with river walkers because the rock grips were on back order. My river walkers have held up really well, and they are really easy to get into and out of. I would image other Patagonia boots would be the same ( and if not they have an excellent warranty)

• 1 year later...

Anyone tried the Patagonia aluminum 'crampons'?

Ditto - I'm bumping this back up to the top, because I have the same question. Dad and I leave in 9 days for our BC fishing trip and I'm really wondering about the Patagonia crampons. Found a "sale" for $160, which is still alot of moula, but better than $199...

Any comments about the Patagonia crampons?

For reference, here is the link:

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/patagonia-river-crampons?p=79195-0-775

Cheers,

Smitty

P.S. Do any of the local Calgary fly shops carry the crampons? Was wondering...

I have a pair of the Patagonia Alumabars. I wore them on the Thompson last fall, and they are a godsend for that river (which, until you've fished it, cannot be described for wading difficulty....I can rant about it, but to put it simply, that river is insane).

Saw a few guys wearing the crampons that were equally as happy.

Simms vibram soles without studs are outright dangerous on slick and slimy rocks, no where's near the traction of felt. Tried em brought back and went with felt. The Patagonia boot above looks interesting and if what bcube says is true it might be a good alternative to felt. Vibram alone isn't.

• 1 year later...