Fly Fusion Forums

Poachers At Policemans Flats

You can't go upstream of the bridge. Take down the registration number off the bow of the boat, take a photo if possible with background in view, and call the city police (not RAPP). The guy in the jet will have a nice visit from the cops. Be good to keep them on their toes.

Lots of water for jets below carseland with virtually no one, not sure why they need to be on police to Mac every day, with the drifters and Pontoons.

• 2 weeks later...
You can't go upstream of the bridge. Take down the registration number off the bow of the boat, take a photo if possible with background in view, and call the city police (not RAPP). The guy in the jet will have a nice visit from the cops. Be good to keep them on their toes.

Lots of water for jets below carseland with virtually no one, not sure why they need to be on police to Mac every day, with the drifters and Pontoons.

The same reason you are there buddy! What gives a driftboat or a pontooon boat the exclusive right to a section of river?

• 2 months later...

Absolutely. The number is on my speed dial. I actually enjoy getting these douchebags caught and reading these posts. I let it go once. A guy had his family with him (little kids) and was from the area (red deer). They were all fishing with bait near the Glennifer Lake Dam. I told him out of earshot of his kids that I'd call him in if they didn't at least switch to lures. At least they were letting them go. I gave him a chance to man up. No young kid needs to see his Dad get in trouble with people with guns and badges.

I would like to see a sign posted at all the usual places that say "The Anglers fishing here will turn you in. Poaching is a Crime." It will inspire the Angers to unite against poaching and serve as a warning to the poachers. If someone is ignorant of the regulations they got when they bought their license (if they have one), it may make them check.

I also find that there is a fair bit of garbage left behind by those most likely to poach. That really gets me p*ssed off. I pick up every single bit of garbage that is fishing related, like packaging or discarded line, and coffee cups. I don't want people thinking negatively about anglers. Littering is a $500 or more fine. That would be a good one to tag onto fishing with bait, barbed hooks, poaching, and no license.

More COs for sure! How do we help it happen?

Absolutely. The number is on my speed dial. I actually enjoy getting these douchebags caught and reading these posts. I let it go once. A guy had his family with him (little kids) and was from the area (red deer). They were all fishing with bait near the Glennifer Lake Dam. I told him out of earshot of his kids that I'd call him in if they didn't at least switch to lures. At least they were letting them go. I gave him a chance to man up. No young kid needs to see his Dad get in trouble with people with guns and badges.

I would like to see a sign posted at all the usual places that say "The Anglers fishing here will turn you in. Poaching is a Crime." It will inspire the Angers to unite against poaching and serve as a warning to the poachers. If someone is ignorant of the regulations they got when they bought their license (if they have one), it may make them check.

I also find that there is a fair bit of garbage left behind by those most likely to poach. That really gets me p*ssed off. I pick up every single bit of garbage that is fishing related, like packaging or discarded line, and coffee cups. I don't want people thinking negatively about anglers. Littering is a $500 or more fine. That would be a good one to tag onto fishing with bait, barbed hooks, poaching, and no license.

More COs for sure! How do we help it happen?

Signs are a waste of money, you get free regs when you purchase your license. the ones breaking the rules or the law dont read the regs or the signs posted. The only way to stop it is to see it happening and call it in! This is a problem that wont go away or be fixed just have to keep calling em in thats the only way. If money is going to be spent just spend it on enforcment officers, signs are a waste of money. Its like the gun registrey, doesnt work because the bad guys dont register, This is not rocket science.

I like it, maybe with regs listed below. Lets them know more than just the fish cops are watching

James

Guest bobjones
Signs are a waste of money, you get free regs when you purchase your license. the ones breaking the rules or the law dont read the regs or the signs posted. The only way to stop it is to see it happening and call it in! This is a problem that wont go away or be fixed just have to keep calling em in thats the only way. If money is going to be spent just spend it on enforcment officers, signs are a waste of money. Its like the gun registrey, doesnt work because the bad guys dont register, This is not rocket science.

The speed limit in the city is 50km/hr unless posted differently, but how many 50Km/hr signs do you see? Signs would help as many people breaking the regs are ignorant of the rules. Put a noticable sign up at Upper K Boat launch and I think you'd lose 80% or more of the poachers.

You may not understand this, but if you ask most people on the street they think fishing by definition is with bait (And why on earth would you bother trying to catch a fish if you are just going to release it?).

Called the city bylaw office last night and you can take a moterized boat up to city limits which is 194th Ave not the deerfoot extender.

Also about poachers, I was out a coupleof weeks ago and was taking a walk through fish creek park and started chatting with a guy and found out that he uses bait all the time on the river and does not care what the regulations are since he is a tax payer (What a stupid idoit) anyways he then told me if I wanna find out where all the big fish are to come here (FFC) make a acoount and read the reports. I played dumb and when I was away from him called Rap and made a report, even though they could do nothing at the time, the call was recorded which is very important, as they use these reports for funding and to knopw where the hot spots are.

So I do warn people, share your experinces on the river but be careful about naming locations cause who knows who is reading the report.

Called the city bylaw office last night and you can take a moterized boat up to city limits which is 194th Ave not the deerfoot extender.

Also about poachers, I was out a coupleof weeks ago and was taking a walk through fish creek park and started chatting with a guy and found out that he uses bait all the time on the river and does not care what the regulations are since he is a tax payer (What a stupid idoit) anyways he then told me if I wanna find out where all the big fish are to come here (FFC) make a acoount and read the reports. I played dumb and when I was away from him called Rap and made a report, even though they could do nothing at the time, the call was recorded which is very important, as they use these reports for funding and to knopw where the hot spots are.

So I do warn people, share your experinces on the river but be careful about naming locations cause who knows who is reading the report.

Indeed. Once the poachers/quadders/human toxic waste have finished destroying your current favorite spots, they'll come here to find your new ones and move on to them. It's sad, but given the current near total lack of enforcement, we can't be too secretive.

Indeed. Once the poachers/quadders/human toxic waste have finished destroying your current favorite spots, they'll come here to find your new ones and move on to them. It's sad, but given the current near total lack of enforcement, we can't be too secretive.

I wouldn't say so much as a lack of enforcement as it is people just don't give a *hit.

• 2 weeks later...

I do not agree with your statement.

I believe that with the lack of CO's for enforcement anything we can do will help.

A sign at the main access areas with the RAPP symbol on it with the ph # clearly visible will help people who do not have the # handy. Doubtfull many poachers will give it much heed but perhaps let them know they are being watched.

I had a fellow in the shop this morning completly disgusted with the rubber gloves with blood & scales on them, empty worm bags etc.. left in & around Police in just the last week.

I did not know that for our whole south region there is only one CO. A hireing freeze is on.

I will talk to my sign guy and see if we can sponser some signs for this purpose.

Dave

Dave,

Remember your audience - keep words to single syllables if possible. But I'm thinking that signs are really not effective. There are 4 signs @ Beaver Lake telling you what you can or can't do. About 50% of all angling effort was illegal several weeks ago. And it's blatant. Watched 3 your guys bait fish for hours along the south shore. No one cared. I didn't phone - cell won't work.

Frankly, society likes illegal activity otherwise they'd fix it or to put it another way - Is Morton still in the running?

IMGP0590w.jpg