Fly Fusion Forums

Proposed Regulation Changes For The Upper And Lower Kananaskis Lakes

beedhead

Hi Fellow Fishers...To make things easier, And to help out, I made up a online petition, As Jake only has dial up internet where he lives, tucked back in the awesome Hills....A Thanx to Harps, from the board for sending me the link to the online petition site...

Below, From Jake Gotta...(dekkard)..

From dekkard- "Hello All. I attended the Prairies and Southern Rockies Area Joint Roundtable this past Wednesday. Some good topics were discussed and good presentations made by members of ASRD. The Bow River was mentioned along with the dwindling population of the Westslope Cutthroat Trout. 'This species has been identified as Threatened by the Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada (COSEWIC). It is currently being considered for listing under the federal Species At Risk Act (SARA).' But that should be mentioned under another thread. It is bothersome though. I love cuttys. The proposed regulation changes that I brought up here on FFC was brought up in the meeting and that is what I would like to discuss in this topic. Some of you have helped me with my previous petition for making a regulation change and I am asking for your help again if you wish. The current regulations for the Upper and Lower Kananaskis lakes are: 'Open all year-Trout (except bull trout) limit 3; Cutthroat and Rainbow Trout over 30 cm; Bait Ban.' We feel that these lakes have the potential to provide quality fisheries. To that end, we are proposing that the following regulations be implemented, so as to permit quality fisheries to develop: "Open all year-Trout (except bull trout) limit 1; Cutthroat and Rainbow Trout over 50 cm; Bait Ban." Some of the issues we are faced with are that: Catchable-sized (20-30 cm) Cutthroat Trout are being stocked in both Kananaskis Lakes. Many stocked fish are being harvested shortly after stocking. Current size limit provides no protection for spawners. Cutthroat and Rainbow Trout can grow to a very large size and provide a quality fishery, if allowed to live long enough. I know there are a lot of opinions on what should be done, but we think this is a good route. If you have any other ideas or suggestions please let me know here or send me a pm. Again, I have petitions at several locations in Calgary. I have petitions at Southbow, Wholesale Sports, and Fish Tales. If you have a group of people interested in this I can send you a petition via email. Just pm me the details and I will get one to you and then you can mail it back to me. Thanks again to people like Mike at Southbow...Dave, Terry, and Nancy at Fish Tales...and of course Tyler down at Wholesale. I appreciate all your help. Beedhead may also try and paste an attachment to show you guys what is going on in a little more depth. Oh yeah, thanks to the folks down at SRD and Trout Unlimited."

The Proposed Petition/new regs. below...Click on the link at the bottom, if you would would like to sign the petition... :) ...

Cheers... Jake & Jeff..

To: Alberta Sustainable Resource Development

The current regulations for the Upper and Lower Kananaskis lakes are: "Open all year-Trout (except bull trout) limit 3; Cutthroat and Rainbow Trout over 30 cm; Bait Ban." We feel that these lakes have the potential to provide QUALITY FISHERIES, provided that the fish are allowed to live long enough. To that end, we are proposing that the following regulations be implemented, so as to permit QUALITY FISHERIES to develop: "Open all year-Trout (except bull trout) limit 1; Cutthroat and Rainbow Trout over 50 cm; Bait Ban."

Some of the issues we are faced with are that: Catchable-sized (20-30 cm) Cutthroat Trout are being stocked in both Kananaskis Lakes. Many stocked fish are being harvested shortly after stocking. Current size limit provides no protection for spawners. Cutthroat and Rainbow Trout can grow to a very large size (> 70 cm) and live to up to 11 years in the Kananaskis Lakes. For these reasons, we feel that Upper and Lower Kananaskis Lakes provide the best opportunity for creation of readily accessible QUALITY FISHERIES in the area west of Calgary. This initiative would support SRD's commitment to develop more quality stocked trout fisheries in Alberta, following a survey which showed strong angler support for the development of more quality stocked trout fisheries in Alberta.

Thank you so much for your time.

Link to Petition.

http://www.petitiononline.com/dekkbeed/petition.html

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw this on facebook and without commenting at all I'd like to encourage whomever is spearheading the petition to make sure that you run this past a couple of fisheries techs in gov that are aware/involved of the issues on those water bodies, who might be in favor of this. He/she will help with wording and required background so there are no obvious holes, from a gov perspective, forcing you to go backwards or, worse, back to the drawing board with no recognition of any validity. Also, there absolutely has to be a way for gov to be able to spot check contacts on the petition - if those signing it can't be contacted to ensure they did take part, those names are ignored. Just trying to be helpful to ensure this is set up properly from the get go, as the background work will go a long way in determining its success. Please take no offense, the way this has been set up is suspect in some regards - I'm simply trying to be encouraging. My intentions are good, just short and to the point as I'm still out of country.

Cheers

I saw this on facebook and without commenting at all I'd like to encourage whomever is spearheading the petition to make sure that you run this past a couple of fisheries techs in gov that are aware/involved of the issues on those water bodies, who might be in favor of this. He/she will help with wording and required background so there are no obvious holes, from a gov perspective, forcing you to go backwards or, worse, back to the drawing board with no recognition of any validity. Also, there absolutely has to be a way for gov to be able to spot check contacts on the petition - if those signing it can't be contacted to ensure they did take part, those names are ignored. Just trying to be helpful to ensure this is set up properly from the get go, as the background work will go a long way in determining its success. Please take no offense, the way this has been set up is suspect in some regards - I'm simply trying to be encouraging. My intentions are good, just short and to the point as I'm still out of country.

Cheers

Hi Dave, Thank-you for your concern, no offence taken at all....It Brings up a good point...Just to let everyone know, ASRD is aware of the petition, and we have had total support from them, along with their revision of the petition...

Thank-you all for you support and concerns for this fishery....Jeff & Jake...

New Proposed Regulations Poster

KanLakesposter900pixels.jpg

Does this mean they are stocking rainbow trout into the upper lake again?

Hi fish4trout...There will be No more stocking of Rainbows in the upper or lower Lakes...As to trying to get the lakes back to the native species, Cutts and Bulls....However, I don't think the Lower lake will get be back to native, due to the successfulness of the The self sustaining Rainbows that reproduce in the Lower Lake...

The last time the Upper lake was stocked with Bows was in 2000... 26,700 were stocked at 23cm.

The last time the Lower Lake was stocked with Bows was 1988...In July 194 Bows were stocked at 62.5cm.. and in Aug 1988 there was 20,000 stocked at 16cm.

Cheers...Jeff..

Maybe. The first petition we did was taken seriously enough to be mentioned by SRD regarding a proposed regulation change during the roundtable meeting at Bass Pro on DEC 15th. We can make a difference. And I am sure it will get mentioned at the next one too. You can only make reg change every 2 years. We just need to get involvement and show that we want something done.

Hopefully this petition gathers support from all who fish these two lakes. I believe the proposed changes will lead to one more quality fishery in the province. I firmly believe that there are too few bodies of water where you stand a reasonable chance to catch a 20" trout.

Murray

Hi fish4trout...There will be No more stocking of Rainbows in the upper or lower Lakes...As to trying to get the lakes back to the native species, Cutts and Bulls....However, I don't think the Lower lake will get be back to native, due to the successfulness of the The self sustaining Rainbows that reproduce in the Lower Lake...

The last time the Upper lake was stocked with Bows was in 2000... 26,700 were stocked at 23cm.

The last time the Lower Lake was stocked with Bows was 1988...In July 194 Bows were stocked at 62.5cm.. and in Aug 1988 there was 20,000 stocked at 16cm.

Cheers...Jeff..

Hi All, I fricked up, on the above info on the Upper K Lake... :rolleyes: Sorry...

**Edit**...The last time the Upper lake was stocked with Bows was in 2002... 25,100 were stocked at 23cm.

Cheers...Jeff..

Some more info below...

This summer, a creel survey was conducted on Upper Kananaskis Lake. The key findings were:

the catch rate was 1.0 fish/hour, which is over 7 times higher than it was in 1983 when only rainbow trout were being stocked

cutthroat trout comprised 95% of the catch

most (94%) of the harvested cutthroat trout had a clipped adipose fin, which means that they were from the batch of 13,900 large (30 cm) cutthroat trout stocked this June.

UKL20Poster_2008.jpg

UKL20and20LKL20recent20stocking20summary201985-2010.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sundancefisher

I have had a number of PM's that state they love the new reg idea but since they don't fish there they don't feel they should vote.

To all of you I say...VOTE! If this fishery improves as much as Bullshead...then I doubt you will be able to stay away. You will fish it and you will get great value for your time in fishing in a beautiful location with a significantly higher chance of catching fish.

So by all means...don't delay!

Sign...sign...sign! :wave_smile:

Cheers

Sun

Guest Sundancefisher

we are up to 169 votes. Strange it almost seems like Alberta Outdoorsman Forum has way more people voting in favor than our fly fish forum?

I firmly believe that even if you have not fished there before. It is fair to vote in favor if:

1) You feel the regulations are a positive step

2) It will encourage you to fish there

3) It will encourage others and therefore take some pressure off natural populations

4) It is an extension of the benefits seen at Bullshead and Police Outpost.

The more votes the better and we can obviously show that as a fishing fraternity that we can unite from time to time!

Vote and get your friends to vote!