Fly Fusion Forums

Wading Boots Question

I had cheap pair of white river wading boot for a year of fishing, it's done. The felt is coming apart, laces braking, inner fabric wearing through.

I have been searching a new pair for a month now. The only thing I looking for is that I don't want felt bottom, because they got frozen up pretty badly in the snow. I went to many local fishing stores, haven't really find any boots I like. Simms, guideline, etc...

Then couple days ago, was talking to a guy. He has been fishing for a long time, he mentioned he does not buy wading boot no more. He just go to walmart and buy pair of boot for cheap and use for 2 years then throw away get new one.

A pair of cheap wading boot costs $100, and they last 1 year (at least for me). However, I can buy a good pair of Columbia hiking boot for $60.

Question: Why wading boots? Are they even necessary? Any problem using hiking boots instead of wading boots?

I guess you could play tennis in bedroom slippers too!! <--poke--<<--poke--<

:P

Seriously, though... Are you planning to use these just for winter fishing?! Will you be putting stainless steel screws in the bottom for studs?! Probably would work, but might be a bit heavy and slow to drain water, plus if you use them within the shoulder season, I would think the rubber on hiking boots would be fairly stiff and not all that grippy on wet rocks & weeds, etc.!?! Also, most hiking boots have some sort of foam used in the upper so that might soak up a lot of water and cause them to be even heavier?!

P

A pair of cheap wading boot costs $100, and they last 1 year (at least for me). However, I can buy a good pair of Columbia hiking boot for $60.

Question: Why wading boots? Are they even necessary? Any problem using hiking boots instead of wading boots?

It's kind of like using pliers vs. a wrench, or using a screw driver instead of a chisel; both will work, but the purpose built tool will do a better job and last longer. The soles on your $60.00 hiking boots were designed for a casual hike, not gripping greased bowling ball river rock and repeated soaking/drying cycles...and like Uberfly says, use the studs

I believe Bow River Troutfitters and Country Pleasures are clearing out some Simms boots...might be worth taking a look.

They use a specific kind of rubber - similar to the rubber used in climbing shoes!! It's much softer and grippier then the rubber used for hiking shoes/boots!

Oh I should add that the "sticky rubber" type of boots that SIMMS and others currently offer have their pros & cons (lots of reviews on those on here and other sites).

P

P.S. I paid a little more then what you paid for your cheapies on a pair of Patagonia Riverwalkers ($160 on sale) and got 3+ seasons (of hard use) out of them before they started to break down... I sent them back to patagonia and got full warrantee on them (unfortunately they didn't have my size in Canada so they gave me the cash equivalent)! You get what you pay for IMHO!

Simms already stop making felt boots tho. They are all rubber...

http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/cleanstream.html

Simms already stop making felt boots tho. They are all rubber...

http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/cleanstream.html

I've owned some cheapies in the past and was lucky to get a full year out of them. My last pair of Simms L2s lasted twos seasons until the Aquastealth sole had finally worn away and the seams were starting to come undone. I went to Troutfitters a couple weeks ago and picked up a new pair of Simms Riversheds with studded Aquastealth for 25% off. I think they still have a bunch of boots there.

I like the Aquastealth rubber but feel it is almost necessary to have studs to break through the slime so the rubber can stick. I know Simms switched to Vibram soles fairly recently. This could have been because some people complained about slipping on slimy rocks and stuff. These are not on clearance and I didn't pay the extra cash for the new Vibram sole, so I went with the old Aquastealth. Maybe somebody could vouch for the new rubber Simms uses compared to the old? All I've heard is the vibram is a bit better and cutting through the algae and its a bit harder of a rubber than the Aquastealth.

Bought a pair of Simms guide boots w/Vibram soles this summer. Can't vouch for how sticky the soles are because I loaded them up w/cleats but I'm impressed with the build quality and how comfortable they are after a long day. If they're half the boot my old Simms Freestones were then the new boots should last me 5-6 yrs.

I have Simms with "Aquastealth" soles or whatever you want to call it---it is made by Vibram---and the rubber doesn't last if you do any amount of walking on anything but grass. It hasn't changed in the last 2 yrs and I'm on my 3rd set of soles already in two summers. (Discussed on another thread) As Uberfly said, any vibram hiking boots use a much harder rubber that will last longer but won't grip wet rocks, especially in cool temps. Studding those Aquastealth soles isn't like studding felts either, because the sole is all lumpy with small lugs. When they wear out you'd be better off getting them resoled in Calgary with felt and then stud them up. But hiking boots are no substitute for wading boots.

What about this---buy a pair of cheap runners, grind the soles smooth yourself with a belt sander and glue on felt soles ? You can find more detail online about resoling wading boots, buy the soles at Wholesale Sports or wherever. Same resole process should work for runners. Rent a belt sander from Home depot--- I've thought of trying it myself.

I had a crappy pair of those White River Boots given to me. They lasted a half a season.... so I took them back. (1yr warranty) The next pair again lasted less then a season then I took them back. I am now on my third pair of boots and this pair only lasted two months. I think I will take them back again. You might as well make them pay for making such a terrible, crappy, cheap product.

I have Simms with "Aquastealth" soles or whatever you want to call it---it is made by Vibram---and the rubber doesn't last if you do any amount of walking on anything but grass. It hasn't changed in the last 2 yrs and I'm on my 3rd set of soles already in two summers. (Discussed on another thread) As Uberfly said, any vibram hiking boots use a much harder rubber that will last longer but won't grip wet rocks, especially in cool temps. Studding those Aquastealth soles isn't like studding felts either, because the sole is all lumpy with small lugs. When they wear out you'd be better off getting them resoled in Calgary with felt and then stud them up. But hiking boots are no substitute for wading boots.

What about this---buy a pair of cheap runners, grind the soles smooth yourself with a belt sander and glue on felt soles ? You can find more detail online about resoling wading boots, buy the soles at Wholesale Sports or wherever. Same resole process should work for runners. Rent a belt sander from Home depot--- I've thought of trying it myself.

I'm pretty sure that Vibram StreamTread is not the same as the old Aquastealth. There is a difference between the 2 and 3 year old rubber soles and new ones offered by Simms. Maybe I'm missing something and am totally wrong. I agree that Aquastealth wears away quick, which is why I think two seasons at most are possible with these soles. The new Vibram rubber is supposed to last longer than aquastealth and also grip wet and algae covered rocks better. I can't keep my boots from disintegrating (even Simms) so I don't care if my soles wear out... I need a new pair anyway.

I'm pretty sure that Vibram StreamTread is not the same as the old Aquastealth. There is a difference between the 2 and 3 year old rubber soles and new ones offered by Simms. Maybe I'm missing something and am totally wrong.

You're right. Streamtread is the new stuff. Replaced Aquastealth 2.. maybe 3 years ago now.

ericlin0122,

I've bought and used cheapy boots for a number of years. The boots are c/w grip rubber soles and are used in mud bottom creeks and the like where felt soles are not only slippery but dangerous.

For rock work, I use felts.

But felt is not the only sole material. Indoor/Outdoor carpeting works just fine. Get it by the yard. Glue is Regular Lepages Contact Cement.

catch ya'

Don

I have heard no mention of Korkers. There is a reason a lot of the guides on the bow use them. There are by far the best wading boots I have ever used. You can change the sole to whatever condition you want to fish. You can buy a pair of Streamborns for under $200 and they will last for several years.

I have heard no mention of Korkers. There is a reason a lot of the guides on the bow use them. There are by far the best wading boots I have ever used. You can change the sole to whatever condition you want to fish. You can buy a pair of Streamborns for under $200 and they will last for several years.

Probably because they are junk, I have never got more then 8 months out of a pair of Korkers, I actually went through 2 pairs of the Streamborns from august 09 unitl july 10. I don't have enough fingers to count my friends that will never use them again. We were hiking out of a big trip this summer and 2 seperate pairs of Korkers fell apart. One friend was right in front of me with a pair of korkers that were 10 days old and the complete lower came off hiking out, you could see his waders. At one time Korkers were good but the quality of their product has gone to junk. I think my complaints may with bigger footed boots as my buddies with girl feet have had better success with Korkers. On top of that once you change up the soles they WILL NOT stay in ever again. Which is no biggy if you are a bow angler but if you need to cross logs, climb rock faces or hike out of the canyons having an unstable sole is worse then no shoes. I've never been so disappointed with a "guide quality" fishing product as I have been by the Korkers.

Probably because they are junk, I have never got more then 8 months out of a pair of Korkers, I actually went through 2 pairs of the Streamborns from august 09 unitl july 10. I don't have enough fingers to count my friends that will never use them again. We were hiking out of a big trip this summer and 2 seperate pairs of Korkers fell apart. One friend was right in front of me with a pair of korkers that were 10 days old and the complete lower came off hiking out, you could see his waders. At one time Korkers were good but the quality of their product has gone to junk. I think my complaints may with bigger footed boots as my buddies with girl feet have had better success with Korkers. On top of that once you change up the soles they WILL NOT stay in ever again. Which is no biggy if you are a bow angler but if you need to cross logs, climb rock faces or hike out of the canyons having an unstable sole is worse then no shoes. I've never been so disappointed with a "guide quality" fishing product as I have been by the Korkers.

Ditto, never again will I buy Korkers. A few months of use and my foot was hanging out the side of them. Once I changed the soles, they never stayed in place again. The concept of interchangeable soles is the only thing going for them. Most over rated boot out there IMO.

• 2 weeks later...
x3.

Although, I've never had the Streamborns, just the Cross Currents.

I am a fan of Korkers for the reasons changeable souls and there lacing system is great.

I wet wade all summer and use Korker's wading shoe there great.

My suggestion is to stay away from felt as they will carry disease from one river to another, as well as felt is going to come off the market due to the reason given.

My suggestion is to stay away from felt as they will carry disease from one river to another, as well as felt is going to come off the market due to the reason given.

So does the boot's material, laces, neoprene booty, gravel guards, and waders...... marketing by boot companies to get you to buy another pair of boots is working. When all the biologists that work on our watersheds stop buying felt so will I