Fly Fusion Forums

Breaking: List Of Closures

I'm betting that the 17-18C surface water temps I saw on the Crow last Saturday will be noticeably higher than that now. 37C in Lethbridge right now (but with the wind it only feels like 36!), and the Crowsnest Pass currently is 29C. 2-4mm rain forecast for CNP on both Friday and Saturday, and daytime highs moving down to the mid to high teens there for several days starting Saturday. Maybe the change in weather will even things out by early to middle of next week. Here's hopin' (and not just for the sake of fishing, but for the fish themselves).

So is the bow not closed anymore, along with Sheep and others? The email I just got from albertarelm does not include the bow, sheep etc. But does have new closures including Dogpound and Little Red.

mywildalberta.com/fishing/closures.aspx

The following areas were closed on Friday to all fishing until further notice:

Threepoint Creek and tributaries;

Jumpingpound Creek from headwaters to the Bow River;

Little Red Deer River and tributaries from headwaters downstream to Red Deer River, including Dogpound Creek and tributaries;

Waterton River and all tributaries upstream of Waterton Reservoir, including Drywood Creek;

Waterton River downstream of Waterton Reservoir, river only;

Castle River and tributaries downstream of SH 507 to Highway 3, including Screwdriver Creek, Beaver Mines Creek and Mill Creek;

Pincher Creek and tributaries;

Oldman River from Highway 22 downstream to Secondary Road 510, river only; and

Willow Creek, main stem and tributaries from Chain Lakes downstream to Pine Coulee Reservoir Diversion Head pond.

Please note that additional streams are now closed to angling as a result of low flows and increased temperatures.

Streams that were temporarily closed last week, that remain closed to angling:

• Sheep River from the headwaters to the Highwood River (including Gorge Creek and tributaries)
• Threepoint Creek and tributaries
• Highwood River from the headwaters to the Bow River
• St. Mary River downstream of the St. Mary Reservoir & tributaries
• Belly River downstream of Sec. Rd. 800- River only
• Bow River from Bearspaw Reservoir to the Western Headworks Diversion (W.H.D. Weir)
• Bow River from W.H.D Weir to the Carseland Weir
• Bow River from the Carseland Weir to Hwy 24 Bridge(downstream side)
• Bow River from Hwy 24 bridge downstream to Bassano Dam
• Elbow River from Glenmore Reservoir to the Bow River confluence

New angling closures that are in effect as of today (August 14, 2015):

• Dogpound Creek and Tributaries
• Jumpingpound Creek from headwaters to the Bow River
• Little Red Deer River from headwaters downstream to Twp. Rd. 352 (Cottonwood Road) & tributaries except Dogpound Creek
• Little Red Deer River from Twp. Rd. 352 (Cottonwood Road) downstream to Red Deer River
• Waterton River, Upstream of Waterton Reservoir and all tributaries upstream of Waterton Reservoir including Drywood Creek
• Waterton River, Downstream of Waterton Reservoir - River only
• Castle River, Downstream of SH 507 to Highway 3 – main stem and tributaries, including Screwdriver Creek, Beaver Mines Creek, and Mill Creek
• Pincher Creek and tributaries
• Oldman River, from Hwy 22 downstream to Secondary Road 510 – River only
• Willow Creek, main stem and tributaries from Chain Lakes downstream to Pine Coulee Reservoir Diversion Head pond

I do not know what is going on with the dam at Glenmore. The Elbow river upstream of the reservoir is flowing at 3 times the volume as it is below the Dam. There is stagnant water, exposed river bed, and High e.coli bacteria levels in the river below the dam, which is dangerous to human health. And yet, the reservoir remains high. All thee problems could be reduced with an increase of flow, but it is not happening. I don't get it?

• Like 3

I have spent a lot of days fishing the Oldman and tribs this year and it has been one for the ages. The small snowcap and the mild spring led to minimal run off and water levels were about 6 weeks ahead come opening day. Low water levels and warm temperatures have put us fly fishermen in an unpleasant position.

Many think the recent closures will make the Oldman/Livingston area even busier than it already is. I am hoping that fly fishermen that usually fish the closed rivers may just take some time off instead of rushing to the "Gap" for their fly fishing fix.

The forecast is favourable as rain and lower temperatures are expected for the next few days. I'm thinking...If you really love fly fishing and the resource which is beautiful healthy trout. take the next few days off. Things will be better soon. The fish will be happier and the fishing will be better if we leave them alone for a few days.

my .02 centavos

• Like 6

So how long do we need these lower temps and rain until we see the rivers start to cool down?

Its not just the temps we could use a lot more rain to get volumes up so they have to open the gates but typically by Sept the nights cool off which makes a huge difference

"And yet, the reservoir remains high. All thee problems could be reduced with an increase of flow, but it is not happening. I don't get it?"

The city is likely looking to ensure they do not run out of water for the residence, the city is fine with limited flow downstream and frankly they are not looking to benefit fisheries. That is obvious in all the rubble that they are pumping into rivers to "protect" people from the next flood...remember the flood? Rivers are crazy. Fear floods... fear drought... What is next?

• Like 1

So are the Highwood tribs closed? I was at Cataract this weekend and advised two fly fisherman to stop fishing because all the tribs were included in the closure. Based on the map it says the entire watershed, but based on the listing it looks like the river only.

Saw a couple interesting things both times I went over glen more today.the first thing I saw was a person in waders hand throwing something in the water possibly a thermometer or I have no idea lol did not call rap cause we had no idea what he was doing but it looked like something you see on a survival show.when we came back we seen a truck parked on the bar and two guys practice casting in the middle on the rocks not in the water.Maybe the rock cod were biting I'm not sure.But very interesting both times I'm not sure why people have to do weird things when I'm in a hurry.Im very curious now lol.

So are the Highwood tribs closed? I was at Cataract this weekend and advised two fly fisherman to stop fishing because all the tribs were included in the closure. Based on the map it says the entire watershed, but based on the listing it looks like the river only.

I'd like to know this as well. The map does seem to show different from the listing.

Saw two anglers fishing downstream of Ivor Strong bridge this afternoon. Called RAP immediately.

Good for you Boy Scout!!

The river is higher and colder then it's been since mid-June,no doubt you saved dozens of trout from an agonizing death of lactic acidosis and suffocation. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Good for you Boy Scout!!

The river is higher and colder then it's been since mid-June,no doubt you saved dozens of trout from an agonizing death of lactic acidosis and suffocation. :rolleyes:

A closure is a closure. Just because some people may disagree with it, doesn't change the fact that the river is closed.