Fly Fusion Forums

Things You've Learned This Year

bloom

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steelhead are amazing....

Getting to know a small steelhead run and the holding water in it, is worth the time...

Grown men can holler and whoop like little kids, EVEN when they are by themselves!

Catching steelhead on your own flies is way better than getting them on store bought flies..

Steelhead are amazing...

i also learned that when a buddy hollers at you in the morning when ur passed out wanting too take u out for a days steelheading but u already got plans too go slam some new epic spots in alberta is a freakin toss up and would be and still was a blast wichever place u went... i hate u brian..... jj

Hehe, if it makes you feel any better we headed out into the South Sask. a few years ago for sturgeon, a good jaunt across the prairie then a 20 or so mile river jaunt to the spot, caught decent fish all day, got some good pics (with film also).. Got home, took the pics into the local "Photo Development" establishment, returned a few hours later to a completely vacuous woman (same one I dropped said film off to) that proceeded to tell me that she "couldn't find" my pics. It was all I could do to not bounce her head off the counter a couple times to jar her memory. Never did get them back.. or did I ever find out what happened to them. Looking forward to seein' some steel man..

I have learned not to take my film to Cardston to be developed and I also learned that when your nephew wants to take you fishing and he only lives 2 minutes from the best flyfishing water in the world then you should take the time to go dammit!

I have now learned that getting pictures developed in Cardston takes a frigging WEEK!!! ARRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Also... I have learned that waiting for pictures to be developed, really sucks.

What's this "developing" you speak of? I thought you just plugged the camera into your computer to transfer the pictures then printed them with your ink jet printer. Am I missing something here? <--poke--<

• 1 month later...

What ive learned is that 2 "frends" of my here making fun of me all the time. :numbchuck: ,so im gonna look more often here.

Sleeping in a tent and drinkin whisky go very well together,my "frends"just have to remind me that i should take out my contacts so that i dont look like :wacko: the next morning.

Drinkin whisky and playing with fire go very well together,just my "frends"need to tell me when my fleecejacket catches fire (btw garbagebags are the best replacement for wood when its wet outside to make a nice campfire,and when its dark no one sees the smoke,and its also good for the envoirment cuz we dont leave any garbage behind,and at last it keep bears away from the camp.....Rob did you see any bears that night???).

That walking behind a person that drank a botlle whisky the night before dont give you the right to complain about the smell of whisky in the morning(Rob) cuz hes still walking faster up hill than you.

That i have two great fishingbuddies.

Autumn 2010 isnt so far away,i posted this later then Rob and Noud :catch:

Klaas

What ive learned is that 2 "frends" of my here making fun of me all the time. :numbchuck: ,so im gonna look more often here.

Sleeping in a tent and drinkin whisky go very well together,my "frends"just have to remind me that i should take out my contacts so that i dont look like :wacko: the next morning.

Drinkin whisky and playing with fire go very well together,just my "frends"need to tell me when my fleecejacket catches fire (btw garbagebags are the best replacement for wood when its wet outside to make a nice campfire,and when its dark no one sees the smoke,and its also good for the envoirment cuz we dont leave any garbage behind,and at last it keep bears away from the camp.....Rob did you see any bears that night???).

That walking behind a person that drank a botlle whisky the night before dont give you the right to complain about the smell of whisky in the morning(Rob) cuz hes still walking faster up hill than you.

That i have two great fishingbuddies.

Autumn 2010 isnt so far away,i posted this later then Rob and Noud :catch:

Klaas

And the final thing I learned this yr, we have 3 Hollanders who like to drink whiskey in a tent and play with fire headed for Western Canada to fish in '10

Happy New Year Everyone!

Never let go of your rod when fishing with a boatman (can be expensive)

Fish know when you are between strips while boatman fishing

Bass love caddis flies

Fish selectively eating emerging chironomids will take a different type of dry fly

I need to take more scenery pictures

40 year old Iranian men smile like little kids when they catch their first fish

You can't land a 43lb Chinook in the ocean in under 2 minutes

Mosquitoes by a mountain lake will invade a tent trailer and try to suck you dry during the night

German short haired pointers are very jealous of fly rods (but useful for collecting pheasant tails)

I learned a bunch of really huge lessons this year, in retrospect. But the single, biggest thing I learned is that life without fishing and camping is not life at all and it's not the way I want to spend another fishing season.

Oh ya....and there's too many good red wines in this world to choose from.

I learned a bunch of really huge lessons this year, in retrospect. But the single, biggest thing I learned is that life without fishing and camping is not life at all and it's not the way I want to spend another fishing season.

so you 2 gonna rectify that next summer? if so we're going fissin.

so you 2 gonna rectify that next summer? if so we're going fissin.

Trust me there Cowboy....we're gonna be makin' up for lost time this year. And you're invited....in fact you're the tour guide. I wanna hit "that little hole" where you caught "that big bully" that you talked about last time. I don't care if I'm bear breakfast....we'll do a coupla shots of rum and hike the *hit outta those hills.

Gary, that is a great comment. The only thing that prevents you from learning new things is your attitude. You're never too old to learn. We have some really good fly fishers on this board with a ton of experience, some of them close to 30 years younger than me. The amount of time they spend on the water in one year will equal 3 or 4 years of fishing for me.

One other thing I relearned this year, the fish can be very close to the shore. Do not ignore the water 1 or 2 feet from the banks. I've known this for a long time but simply forgot. I float the Bow frequently on my pontoon and constantly try to fish the current seams 30 ft. from shore. I do have limited success doing this but this past year, I tried to get as close as possible to the shore. the results were several fish over 20 inches that were hanging in that shallow water a foot off the banks.

Happy New Year everyone

Murray