Fly Fusion Forums

Official Oilers 2008/2048 Season Thread

I've seen Eberle's goal about a bizzilion times since he scored it on all kinds of highlights. Ever since I watched those world juniors I have been a huge fan of his. He sure looks good in blue + orange. I'm one of those weird kinda fans that like a few teams... the Oilers and Flames are like my #1 and 2... the 'nucks about my #3. I hope they can all make the big show this year.

Well, I guess we should stop planning our Cup parade route, hehe. Minny's PP killed us... stupid Mikko.

Why would y'all be planning a Cup parade???

I mean, it's very obvious that the Tronna Make-believes are gonna win the Cup this year!!! :angel:smail:

Quite obvious if you listen to all the wackos on TSN........

haha no kidding I was watching the end of the toronto - pittsburgh game and they were like " oh yeah the difference this year is that toronto would have choked that lead last year, this is a whole new team this time around, blah blah blah..."

Meanwhile Pittsburgh DOMINATED the last 15 minutes of play and did everything but get ANY luck around toronto's net. LUCK saved the leafs, not a "whole different team".

TSN

The Sports Numbskulls.

• 1 month later...

It's been awfully quiet in here lately. I figured it was about time to rub things in a bit:

Northwest GP W L OT PTS GF GA HOME AWAY S/O L10

Edmonton 26 10 12 4 24 70 93 4-6-1 6-6-3 0-3 6-3-1

Calgary... 26 11 13 2 24 71 78 6-6-0 5-7-2 2-1 4-4-2

What's to rub in. This is the way I see it.

Oilers -- a young fast team that's fun to watch and are improving as the season goes on.

Flames -- an old team that's boring to watch and are getting worse as the season goes on.

That tidy little three game road trip sweep through Eastern Canada sure was entertaining! That game against MTL was a beaut! Sure, there could have been a penalty called against Gagner on the short handed game tying goal, but regardless of the out come, it was fun and exciting to watch two young, fast, teams play it wide open going for the win. Great stuff.

That tidy little three game road trip sweep through Eastern Canada sure was entertaining! That game against MTL was a beaut! Sure, there could have been a penalty called against Gagner on the short handed game tying goal, but regardless of the out come, it was fun and exciting to watch two young, fast, teams play it wide open going for the win. Great stuff.

coilers schmoilers

• 2 months later...

Might as well dig up this thread from 3 pages in... ;)

Edmonton trading Penner to LA was the biggest trade of the day! Pretty inactive trade deadline this year.

So we get Colton Teubert, a 1st round pick this year, and a conditional pick next year. I'm a BIT concerned that TSN is saying Teubert has the potential to be a "4 or 5th" D-man.. I'm pretty sure that's what I heard. And then the 1st rounder will probably be down around the ~20th pick.. not so sure this trade is THAT good for the rebuild myself.

Fellow Oilers fans, what say ye?

I remember Teubert from the Juniors a couple years back, he was a solid D man in the tournament and received a lot of praise for his work and leadership on the back end. He's a big kid too at 6'4" and pushing 200lbs. Could be a good pick up if he fills out a bit more. With prospects its always a wait and see to figure out how the trade works out.

Considering everyone was saying they could get a first rounder for Hemsky, that we got a first rounder, a solid prospect and a conditional pick, I'd say they did GREAT in getting all that for Penner.

I like it. I would have rather seen him stay, but considering the return, I like it.

• 3 weeks later...

To just add 2 cents to the old topic of the Penner trade:

Its screamingly obvious that this is a "wait-and-see" trade for the Oilers. Only way this pans out in the Oilers favor is if Tuebert and the draft pick work out. I mean c'mon, you trade away a 25 goal scorer and get zero in terms of immediate return for your lineup (for right now in the present I'm talking about). So unquestionably, LA wins this trade for the short term.

The rest of this is short and sweet; very frustrating to see the team wracked with injuries, but, on the other hand, it supports my original thesis that the best thing that could happen is that we finish dead last again. We could use that defenceman or the big forward. Plus, having - now - 3 first rounders gives us incredible trading leverage.

So I am all good with the position the Oilers are in right now with 2 caveats: (1) the last 16 games are a near complete write-off (I suppose we see some farmhands we usually wouldn't) (2) getting concerned that Hemsky has officially earned the label "chronically injured".

Smitty

• 7 months later...

I was at the game. It wasn't a game that either team should have been proud of.

I am glad that I went and was able to watch my team play live for a change, and I did love that aspect of it, but at the end of the day, I would have much rather seen some up-tempo run and gun style of hockey and just didn't get it.

End result aside, it was a snoozer.

• 2 weeks later...