Fly Fusion Forums

Happy Birthday Toolman

Thanks guys...Weedy dug deep for that "deer in the headlights" photo...That is the meanest SOB Broonie I have ever encountered and I could not believe that I had finally landed him (at 2:00am)...

Max and I, and a few other buddies, had been chasing that big Brown for months...We had all gotten a hook into him a time or two, but we just could not land him and that was the only time I ever did...

Today, I headed out mid-afternoon, to catch my birthday fish. I had spotted a big Rainbow leap out of the water, about a week ago, on the other side of the river and I decided to head over there to try and catch him. Well, it took an hour, but I managed to hook into him and we had a nice dance for a few minutes. Then, he bolted from the shoreline as I am digging for my camera and snapped off, leaving me photoless...The tippet had chaffed on the rocks during the fight and had broken...

So, I decide to have a seat on the shoreline to tie on another B.H. Peacock Waterboatman and let him sit a spell and see if I could get my fly back...

Then, suddenly this dog bolts down the bank and runs right too me and over my gear...

I look up on the high bank behind me and see an oldtimer standing there...

- "This is not an off leash dog area, sir", I say to him politely...

- "It's not my dog", he replies...

I then see a middle aged lady standing nearby and I repeat to her ...

- "This is not an off leash dog area..."

- "F@ck you", she quickly replies, as she gives me the finger...then calls her dog, turns and walks away...

- "Have a nice day" I reply... Her dog then dashes back too the bank, trampling over my $2,000 spey rods/reels, knocking them both to the ground, gets tangled in the line and spooks...I grab my rod as it starts to trail after the fleeing dog and the line suddenly goes tight....The dog starts yelping and scrambles up over the bank... out of sight...

The lady comes back, yelling at me...

-"Did you hit my dog?...Did you hit my dog?"

- "No", I replied, "He took off when you called him and he knocked over my rods and got caught up in my line..."

- "I think he might have a hook stuck in him" the oldtimer tells her, as she walks away...

I look at the old guy and say, " I think you may be right"...10 seconds later, the lady runs back and says to me...

- "Do you have any pliers..my dog has a hook stuck in him...can you help me get it out?"....

- "I'll consider it if you say PLEASE", I reply with a big grin....

- "Pleeeeease"...she whines/begs...

I smile..."Certainly", and I grab my hemos....

I walk up too the top of the bank and the lady is holding her dog. She points to the fly...I grin...I got him in the ASS! LOL...

#8 Wire Wrapped SJW...right cheek...and It's buried deep...LOL!

Now, there's no way that I could touch that hook, as the dog started growling/snapping at me whenever I tried to reach in with the hemo's...At this point, he has probably sensed my suppressed laughter and is not impressed...poor pup...

I tell her how to get the hook out when she gets the dog home and settled down a bit..."he'll be fine"...I assure her,

and off she goes with her dog... that now has a big red worm in his butt...or as Dryfly would say...BAW...

Ahhh...Urban angling...never a dull moment...LOL.

And that's my birthday fishing story for this year...

Greg