Fly Fusion Forums

Official Flames 2008/2043 Seasons Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um. Knock Knock... who's there... THREE YEARS.

dude... you say they'll be srewed by aging vets in 3 years? theyre screwed NOW!

Iginla - old... cant get away from a check anymore

Langkow - same thing

Conroy - yup same thing.

this team needs a fresh start. I say we go the way of the oilers and trade all these guys away, suck miserably for five or six years get some draft picks and build over again. Obviously the window of opportunity this team HAD, is gone.

I know I know. They are old, but Iggy still has some fight in him, I like Langkow as a 3 line center, but we definitely need some more speed up front.

On a side note, I really like the way Bowmeester was playing last night, almost like there was a huge weight lifted off his shoulders...*cough* Phaneuf *cough*

I find it amusing that for someone WDGaF that you continually post on the all hockey threads. we know were you stand on the flames/pro hockey so its getting kind of redundant

Sorry yap, I funked outta sensitivity training, you'd think after 21 yrs you'd have slightly thicker skin.

Um. Knock Knock... who's there... THREE YEARS.

dude... you say they'll be srewed by aging vets in 3 years? theyre screwed NOW!

Iginla - old... cant get away from a check anymore

Langkow - same thing

Conroy - yup same thing.

this team needs a fresh start. I say we go the way of the oilers and trade all these guys away, suck miserably for five or six years get some draft picks and build over again. Obviously the window of opportunity this team HAD, is gone.

Lets not hit the panic button yet boys. lets wait for all the apples to fall out of the tree before throwing sutter under the bus. I still think something else is brewing as he has too many forwards in the lineup. Theres a ton of hype about this because Dion has been traded to the center of the hockey universe and except for the minor league team up north, the Laffs are the worst in the league so any news in ontario is good news. While i agree Conny and Langkow are slowing down, it seems a tad premature to give up on #12. The flames have a better D this year than last even without dion ( adding Jbo and having Gio step up), and added some good young forwards to the lineup. Again, i dont think sutters done dealing just yet.

Didn't there used to be a Maple Leafs thread on this site? My new favorite team.

Can't expect much from the first game after a trade: except JS 1st Star, Dion 2nd Star, Freddy 3rd star. The leafs have a long ways to go, but at least they are on the way up.

Watched the game on Sport-snot east and it was interesting that they actually pointed out the positives.

I think I'm more of a Flames fan now than you Reh.

Scary.

I don't think the Flames are that bad. Obviously, Flames fans aren't at used to being as hopelessly frustrated as Oiler fans. I think I was drunk the entire month of January...

Smitty

P.S. I pray that Reh didn't bust an ankle jumping off the Flames bandwagon though... ;)

P.S. I pray that Reh didn't bust an ankle jumping off the Flames bandwagon though... ;)

I climbed down slowly over the past 2 years. Began when we brought in Bertuzzi, started to move faster when Sutter claimed he couldn't afford to keep Cammalleri then went and got Jokinen and Bouwmeester, then hired his brother to coach.

The guy that is probably feeling best about the Flames this year is Keenan. I must admit I nver was a fan of him coming here, but I also didn't think he was the problem.

EDIT - BTW in 2002 Flames traded a 24 year old. He had 33 pts the previous season, was -18 +/-, and in the first 10 games of 2002 he had 3 points and was -3 then was traded. in 2005, after the lockout, the same player had 97 points and was +7. Since then 82 pts, 82 pts, 74 pts, and 82 pts. His point per game since the trade has been 1.1. No Flame since then has been close to that number. The number one complaint about that player from Flames 'fans' - "He was lazy". Most fans were happy to see him go - not me.

In return Calgary got a superstar named Ruslan Zainullin. Remember him?

FWIW - I think the second trade was much better than the first, and was probably enough to shae thing up. Overall - the Flames should be a better offensive team for the rest of this year. Doubt they'll make the playoffs though, and if they do, would be an etxreme longshot for them to beat any of the top seeded team. Future, IMO, was not bright for this team next year, but is even darker now.

EDIT - BTW in 2002 Flames traded a 24 year old. He had 33 pts the previous season, was -18 +/-, and in the first 10 games of 2002 he had 3 points and was -3 then was traded. in 2005, after the lockout, the same player had 97 points and was +7. Since then 82 pts, 82 pts, 74 pts, and 82 pts. His point per game since the trade has been 1.1. No Flame since then has been close to that number. The number one complaint about that player from Flames 'fans' - "He was lazy". Most fans were happy to see him go - not me.

I assume you are talking about marty st louis?? I was soooooooooooooooooo pissed off when they traded him. I could be wrong though, and if I am I just pointed out another GLARING screwup of a mammoth porportion.

Im interested to see where this goes... I'm a true fan and will continue to root for the team... I did not like phanuef or jokinen.. seemed like they just werent willing to put in that 110% on the ice every night... neither was the rest of the team though. Maybe the new blood will stir things up. My hope are not high. After the big trades last year (flames were top of the division) they tanked in the final series of games leading up to season's end becuase they couldn't gel in time. I don't have my hopes too high that the new look team will have time to gel and make it into the playoffs... I fear the rest of the year will look like the cgy vs. phi game... a sloppy 3-0 loss where a damn pass couldn't be completed by the flames.

check that, maybe your talking about marc savard, another deal that was butchered. Also as bad, was getting rid of drury. Imagine the team with

Drury

Savard

St Louis

hmm offence anyone? what's the current team missing... hmm... gee just cant figure this out.

went to the sports pub in lethbridge here to catch tonights game. I thought they played pretty well despite all the new faces. saw more energy out of the team tonight. They looked a bit out of place at times in the third, but hey... you'd be tired too if you had to beat the refs and the other team (yes smitty, NINE carolina powerplays as opposed to 4 for the flames, typical game.)

not a bad win tonight! we played pretty good.. looked puck hungry.. some good passing play and glenscross played great on the 4th line... really skated hard again....

not too worried about out past trades.. look way back.. we traded giguere... he turned out too win a cup ring with the ducks... or when i was just a kid we traded some hall of famers away and the upside was we won the cup.... im sure we have traded away alot more "talent" that worked out for another team... i would figure most teams have done that alteast once!! trades happen...... we had too do something.. the current team was playing like a bunch of jokers... i like who we have now... prust will be back.. he is a free agent and twice already he has comeback after being traded away by sutter..... its also hard too say if sutter is really done!

AWESOME HIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Click here if the movie does not play.

Geo's the New PHANEUF!

Gios accelerated learning curve ( along with signing JBO) are what made Dion expendable IMO. Without a doubt, Giordano has been our most consistent and overall our best Dman all year. He has all the offensive tools to run a PP, is a very smart player in his own end, and now he has added the "nasty" component to his game as well ( the game that really sticks out in my mind was the one against LA where he hammered Dustin Brown 4 times in one game). Again, I dont think the sky has fallen just yet. Our lineup looks pretty decent with the guys we picked up and i dont think having White back there instead of Dion is gonna hurt us(his offensive numbers are just as good and he isnt prone to the brain freezes that sometimes plague phaneuf). We have a much more offensive team now with a full 4 lines that can score ( as glencross on the 4th line accentuated last night). When all of our guys return to the lineup it should look something like this:

FORWARDS:

Hagman-Stajan-Iginla

Dawes-Langkow-Bourque

GlenX-Boyd-Moss

Nystrom-Baklund-Kotalik (pretty dam good 4th line IMO )

IMO, they need to keep Baklund in the lineup and sit conroy and lundmark. Mayers and Higgins are decent spare parts that give us depth up front and Mcgratton is there when we need some muscle . Flames also have approx 1.8 million in cap space which translates to a 5million dollar rental at the trade deadline ( ray whitney comes to mind).

DEFENSE:

Regher-White

Gio-Jbo

Sarrich-Pardy

Again, dont panic or toss the flames/sutter under the bus just yet.

Pretty all round good game, if nothing else Sutter is a survivor. Picks up a bunch of unstars for a prima donna and a dud, the unstars are looking good so far. Penalties were pretty even and I gotta say that Backlund should stick, he has that young gun mentality a forward version of Giordano, just brings it every shift. Oh and the Leafs lost and Kovalchuk did squat. Prima donnas are stars in their own eyes, Dion who?

I like what looks to be an increase in overall team speed...

I agree. Schenn is paying better too. Solid goaltending. Looks good - Edmonton should be happy - Overall a much better team after the trade and will only get better going forward..

Oh wait - were you talking about Calgary? Looked very similar to me tonight.

I agree. Schenn is paying better too. Solid goaltending. Looks good - Edmonton should be happy - Overall a much better team after the trade and will only get better going forward..

Oh wait - were you talking about Calgary? Looked very similar to me tonight.

what in the name of hockey does edmonton have to be happy about. Taylor hall wont sign for that mickey mouse club even if they do draft him so Lowes master plan of loosing the last 40 games of the season may back fire. Fortunately the majority of the oiler fan base are a little "challenged" so they continue to buy into the 15 year rebuilding process but eventually they will figure it out and get a little annoyed(especially the poor SOBs who got conned into season tickets this year).

ps.we were loosing 10 straight pre trade and had a PP that was 1- 1000. Since the deals we are 2-1-1 and have a PP that can score once in a while. still not convinced these trades wont work out. patience............

maybe I should take up that stance. It would be easier to have no rooting interest then the NHL's joke of officiating wouldn't bother me. ONE f*^&&*n powerplay for the flames tonight? They were hooked and coughed up the puck BECUASE they were hooked, on TWO ottawa goals. and the first one was a PP goal that was set up by a lame penalty. And what's with stajan getting brutally crosschecked to the ice trying to recieve a pass with about 3m left and no call? typical flames game. Bend over and take it.

maybe I should take up that stance. It would be easier to have no rooting interest then the NHL's joke of officiating wouldn't bother me. ONE f*^&&*n powerplay for the flames tonight? They were hooked and coughed up the puck BECUASE they were hooked, on TWO ottawa goals. and the first one was a PP goal that was set up by a lame penalty. And what's with stajan getting brutally crosschecked to the ice trying to recieve a pass with about 3m left and no call? typical flames game. Bend over and take it.

agree. IMO, Auger has it in for all the western canadian teams. The call on white that led to the PP was brutal. Then in the faceoff the ottawa forward hangs on to mayers stick while kovalev tees it up(he proceeds to miss the net by 10 feet buts caroms it in off a flames froward).The missed calls the rest of the game were bad enough but the topper was the cheapy on Jbo late in the game.

That being said, the additions looked fantastic last night and for the most part the flames dominated one of the hottest teams in the league. Hagman,iginla and stajan were on fire(the 2 goals were absolute beautys), and higgins/kotalik had at least 7 good chances last night. Overall the 4 forwards we added all had extremely good games and the flames deserved a lot better than what they got last night. Again, patience Brian, I think these guys may be able to make some noise when they have all their guys back (bourque,dawes,moss).

ps. god giordano looks good.he looks so confident with the puck and has really developed that nasty edge to his game as well. gonna cost Dutter some money when its comes to contract time for that guy. the other guy they MUST leave in the lineup is Baklund. Hes good defensively,isnt shy about the rough stuff, and you can see hes starting to gain confidence in the offenssive end. This kids gonna be really good and needs to stay with the big team.