Fly Fusion Forums

Official Flames 2008/2043 Seasons Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never been a fan of trade deadline moves - I think hog nailed it when he said that Lombardi was a huge portion of the reason our PK has been so good this year. With the number of penalties the zebras call you need at least 3 sets of good penalty killers. I (and many others I think) always thought Lombardi would be a superstar - but on the small ice, he just can shine like he does on the Olympic ice. He may not be a superstar, but he is very good. Olli - we'll see, but he hasn't been the superstar that he gets creds for being. He has 42 points, about the same as Conroy, Bourge, Bert and a few others. If I'm not mistaken though, he has another year on his contract, right? How can the Flames afford that?

One of the flames trades that made me the happiest was when they shipped Leopold off a few years back. All i can remember is how often he coughed it up in our end. He's been healthy this year but...

15-Apr-08 Missed 7 games (hip injury).

28-Mar-08 Hip injury, day-to-day.

22-Mar-08 Missed 5 games (head injury).

11-Mar-08 Head injury, day-to-day.

22-Jan-08 Missed 2 games (illness).

18-Jan-08 Illness, day-to-day.

29-Dec-07 Missed 4 games (leg injury).

19-Dec-07 Leg injury, day-to-day.

13-Dec-07 Missed 21 games (wrist surgery).

26-Oct-07 Wrist injury, mid-December.

16-Oct-07 Missed 2 games (hip injury).

12-Oct-07 Hip injury, day-to-day.

22-May-07 Re-signed by the Colorado Avalanche to a two-year contract.

09-Apr-07 Missed the last 25 games of the regular season (wrist injury).

17-Feb-07 Wrist injury, sidelined indefinitely.

26-Jan-07 Missed 17 games (groin).

13-Dec-06 Groin, sidelined indefinitely.

02-Dec-06 Missed 25 games (hernia surgery).

14-Sep-06 Hernia surgery, sidelined indefinitely.

17-Apr-06 Missed 5 games (groin).

07-Apr-06 Groin, day-to-day.

05-Apr-06 Missed 3 games (groin).

31-Mar-06 Groin, day-to-day.

I see Bert is out for a month - must remember to call my florist.

The only question is whether you believe the Flames have a better chance of competing with San Jose/Detroit with Olli/leopold or Lombo/Proust. And if the difference is big enough to justify the loss of draft picks. But I agree that most (but certainly not all) trade deadline deals fail, in every sport.

Oh, and it was nice meeting you at the florist rehsifylf. I'm sure Bert will love the roses I changed my mind and decided to send him a nice fruit arrangement.

Can anyone forgive Leopold for not burying that near open net chance in game 7 with less than 5m to play? I can't. I was pretty dissapointed to see him coming back. Olli, I'll wait and see what kind of heart he plays with here before I make my judgement.

I think Iggy will whip Olli into shape, If Olli becomes a Cancer in the room Regher, Iggy and Phaneuf will straighten him out. Leopold is an OK addition, but i don't think hes the "puck moving defensemen" Calgary thinks he is.

As I was saying, I'm a HUGE fan of trade dealine deals - way to go Darryl. :wave_smile:

rickr - was that you? I didn't recognize you without out the Lanny Macdonald 'stashe. I saw an interview with Bert and he said his knee had been bothering him for some time and made it difficult for him to skate fast, expecially when coming back. They asked how long and he said "ever since Pee Wee". Hope the surgery helps.