Fly Fusion Forums

One Fly Or Two?

rehsifylf

103 members have voted

1. 1. Do you most often use one fly or two when fishing in Alberta

• One Fly
    • Two Flies
    • Three Flies

Well bcrules, we can warp the perspective any way we choose, but the majority of folks on this thread do not care how anyone fishes, they just won't listen to anyone dissin' others for their choices...plain and simple.

As for the other threads that are in the gutter, it's because the good folks on this site have had enough of the asshats who make crap and contribute nothing to this community. Good on them for finding their voice and taking a stand.

The sad part is, up until recently, the loudmouth disrespectfull punks stayed and the good folks who were making positive contributions were leaving because of it...As for myself, I won't be silenced....

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all of you who want to know. Tako had been banned for being disruptive to others 1 too many times. I've had several requests, gave him a chance, and still nothing good.

So good bye and good luck. If he registers with an alias we'll find him again and again.

A special note to all. Its very difficult to get banned from this site. He is the first one in 4 years.

Cdock:

Chocolate cake and scotch. Gawd, as they say in poker, I am all in...

And, now to more prosaic questions from the universe; with certain person banned, will Taeke change his name back? Will he spell it the same way? My upcoming weekend won't be complete until I know the answer to that one...

;)

Smitty

Cdock:

Chocolate cake and scotch. Gawd, as they say in poker, I am all in...

Smitty

SWEET! I've got the scotch, you bring the chocolate cake. I'll meet you on the river. Don't forget your life jacket - we may just stumble in after a few on the rocks.

page 6 is probably te dopest page in this whole thread... so waht will it be taeke or taco or will u brin gback the old aka wtf? kummmmaan! and were will we meet for the liq's and cake.. lets say banksdie? catch a 30inch bow too while were at it?

With a treble.. don't forget that part.

bcrules. I sent you a Private Message.

I have no issue with anything said on this forum. Miscreant reprobates exist everywhere and so we must continue to say what we think to be correct, regardless of the response it may generate. Civil responses would be nice, however, civility requires a level of maturity that not all people achieve.

In any event, though some have indicated that this is a useless discussion, I believe it is a very important thread, because it speaks to the very definition of the sport. To me fly fishing is very very different than fishing. Some of you even have in your tag line 'Its not about the fish". I wholly believe this. It is about the challenge, the anticipation, the satisfaction, and so much more - the closest I have seen to a perfect description of fly fishing is when Chris Sepio tried to describe it in his short video. It was not the words he used, but the emotion he showed and expression on his face that for me nailed what fly fishing is.

Using more than one fly would diminish greatly the joy I get from fly fishing. I stand by my statement that if you use more than one fly, you're not a real fly fisher. You're a meat fisher in different clothing, because now it is all about the fish.

I stand by my statement that you are full of crap (yourself)...and if you only know how to fish with one fly, it is you who is missing out on the complete experience of bieng a real flyfisherman...skilled in all tactics and methods...once again...

like me...and SilverDoctor, MTB, Max, Hawgstoppah...and hundreds of other members...real flyfisherman...

To think that other flyfishers don't feel the same challenge, anticipation, satisfaction from their fishing experience, as you do, really shows how clueless you are...

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/clueless

Again, Im gonna say it... someone develop some sort of software that decodes and fixes all of maxwells constant typos so we dont have to strain so hard and take so long to read each of his posts (which are always of course filled with so much great stuff). JUSS PLAYIN mang!

Using more than one fly would diminish greatly the joy I get from fly fishing.

then i say: just giv'r. more power to ya. fill your boots. ode to joy.

I stand by my statement that if you use more than one fly, you're not a real fly fisher. You're a meat fisher in different clothing, because now it is all about the fish.

thanks for clearing that up. i know what i yams now.

i guess the forum should be renamed "meat fisher in different clothing calgary"?

and this thread still needs more cake.

If it's not about the fish, then cut your fly off and enjoy...We do it all the time at our Spey gatherings...No fly, just for the pure joy of casting on the river, hanging out and shooting the breeze with other flyfishers...etc. That's what real flyfisherman do sometimes...other times we're out tossing triple nymph rigs to the other side of the river...just for the hell of it.

Call us bait fisherman if it makes you feel better (superior).

I do believe that I was the first reply to this whole thing, and I've been watching it grow and mutate over the last several days. And even though I don't know a lot of you, or really any for that matter, I only know one thing. I love to fly fish. Sure, I am just learing, hell, I have only caught four fish in total thus far, using different methods. First one was on a double nymph rig, the second on a single nymph rig on the swing, and the last two were both on dries.

I came on this board for one thing and one thing only, to learn more about this sport that I am really growing to love, and admittedly become obsessed with. I try to hit the water any chance that I get, and I try ever different method available to me that I am prepared to learn and attempt. Now, I do come from a spinning back ground, it's all that I knew and it's what I grew up doing. When I moved to Calgary I heard that the Bow was some of the best fishing in North America, if not the world, and was DYING to learn how to fly fish. I recently learned, and haven't stopped learning. All because of the members on this board.

The last thing that I need to see/hear is some uppity know it all elitist who thinks I am just a "meat fisher" because I am learning all of the different methods available to me via a fly rod.

Several members on here have taught me something new to this sport. Sometimes even without my asking them, which is a big part of why I come on here in the first place. Everyone is more than willing to TEACH. And teach everything. (Except how to get to thier "special hole" ;) )

This is a great board. Don't let the few ruin it for the many.

It's funny you should mention that toolman, I remember reading somewhere not sure where but it was an old feller and loooong time flyfisher talking about how fishing had evolved for him. Like a lot of the older fella's he had filled his freezer back in the day when you could barely keep trout of your hook but by the end of it he fished only dries but he actually clipped the hook right off the fly, so that he was literally drifting some fur and feathers just to watch the trout strike. It no longer was about actually catching fish but rather just fooling them and the wicked anticipation of watching one slam your fly with out ever having to put you hands on one.

Maybe orvisonly should take up this tactic because it seems about as pure as it can get.

Guys you are forgetting that orvis has "his" method. We have ours. There is no arguement really. If someone comes and judges you streamside ............ then i'm pretty sure there will be an arguement.

Birchy: "hey boy I DONT LIKE YOUR WADERS"

BigBowTrout: "Well hey stranger I LOVE WHATS IN YOURS"

Etc.

i think you nailed it dub d now lets talk for 100 more page about cake.. or keep up the argument.... we all fish for different reasons.. i see it all the time with every client, friend , dude i bump into on the river and whataver turns ur crank is what you should be doing.....

mvdaog.. how was that ^

I've been thinking about why this topic engendered so much emotion by so many people. I think it's because we all strong identify with fly fishing as a part of who we are. Therefore, we take any critisism such as "only real fly fisherman...." on a personel level. For my part I'm open to learning everything I can from others. If I don't like what's being offered I'll move on. Despite the occasional flare up this has been one of the more interesting dialoges....Cheers