Fly Fusion Forums

Good Bottle Of Scotch? Whiskey?

Hey Bloom

The 2 new bottles are:

Glenfiddich 15 year

Glenlivit 15 year

The first bottle I personally bought was a year ago and it is 12 year Glenlivit and I can'y say I aquired a taste for this STUFF yet. Perhaps, a few of the occasions I poured one I had a few too many of the wobbly pops prior to savor and enjoy.

Out of the 2 new bottles, which one do you all recommend I crack first being an amatuer at this game?

I've only had the Glenlivit and Glenfiddich in the earlier ages (ie. 12 year old) and found them to be similar (both are speysides). I like them both, but would lean towards the glenfiddich as I feel it has a little more substance/character to it. I've heard some good things though about a glenfiddich 15 (there are differnt types of 15 year olds).

Note: I did some research and if you have the Glenfiddich Solera Reserve 15, you apparently have one of the best Glenfiddich's around...and a great whiskey.

Smitty, if he's up there in age, he may be old fashioned in his whiskey drinking and stick to the old stand bye's (ie. Glenlivit and Glenfiddich). If this is the case, maybe go with something he's familiar with, but in an order age that he wouldn't usually buy, and would then recognize as a special gift. I did a search in Edmonton for the Glenfiddich 15 Solera Reserve, and it's in many liquor stores...go to superstore for the best price.

I usually don't drink Glenfiddich, but may have to pick this one up. Just another idea for you Smitty to confuse you even more :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lmao:D...to quote american pie "single malt, aged 18 years...the way i like it"...does that mean you're a MILF LS?... :lol::lol: jks

bad, bad boy. LMAO! don't I have to a Mom, in order to a MILF.... maybe I'm just an ILF ;) I dunno

i tend not to drink anything younger than 18 year if i can help it. went to a scotch tasting for my birthday. my favourites were the glenfarclas 18yr (i think) and there was a 21 yr which was great, unfortunately i cant remember the name. it was a coastal/island scotch and oh about 150$

Speyghillie - if you are set on parting with one of those bottles, you can find me tying on both saturday and sunday afternoons at the expo. not sure which table yet - hook and hackle or northern lights or a combined table. ;)

Ladystrange i will have a few bottles of Speyside at my stand, so if you get fed up tying Kate Mclaren's , come over for a dram with a drop of the burn or on ice, i think there is alot of blended whisky being exported :wacko:

I will have a bottle or two from Tomatin, its five minutes up the road and my daughter works there and gets a free bottle of 12yr old every month so the hoose is filling up with the stuff.

Ladystrange, i will bring over a couple of bottles you ain't never seen ,do the fly tying before coming over for a drink . :D

Gordon.

P.S whisky in the Highlands is sometimes better known as " wreck the hoose juice" as sometimes thats the effect it has on some people, i might if i have time tell a funny story or two about whisky drinkers in the Highlands and how they get there whisky free after dark.

I am surprised at all the knowledgable Scotch drinkers on this site. All giving good advice. My favourite is Glenffidich. I like the 12 year cause of its sharpness but the 15 year is very good probably as smooth as Dalwhinnie or Highland Park. Glenmorangie is also one of my favourites. My youngest son always gets me a bottle for special occasions. Irish single malts are also good, Red Breast being my favourite. Red Breast would make a great gift.

Well now you all have chosen well, but Like LS says the older the better, anything younger than 16 years old I don't buy. My stock goes from a previous buy (when I was young and dumb) 12 years to a 25 that run me $400, glenfidich , oh nice and sweet. When I travel to the scotch land I also pick up some cask specials, they are what the distillers leave in the cask after they bottle the rest, lots of alcohol content and strong, but oh so nice,,, If your looking for a good bottle look in the $100 - 200 range, you will pick up a excellent one for that range but find out first if you like the peaty taste (like being stuck in a peat bog) are the woody flavour,, Thats all I can say other than enjoy it all,,,,

Ah come on Harry, you and I both know Capers know nothing about booze!!!!!!! Typed as I sip on a cold Keith's.

:lol: Keith's for breakfast eh Rob? A true Islander. I remember when I was only 13-14 and Keith's was a luxury, could only afford Rich back then.

Christ people! :huh: I thought we lived in Canada...how about some Canadian whisky...Canadian Club Limited Reserve 20 year or Forty Creek Barrel Select..... good stuff, never could find a scotch that didn't taste like a blend of iodine and turpentine...now rum.....nummmmmm rummmm :P

Truth there the proper order should be Scotch and a glass, no Ice takes up liquor room. that is the first few but eventually you can go without the glass, depending if there is ladies present. then the glass just gets bigger.

Teck

Truth there the proper order should be Scotch and a glass, no Ice takes up liquor room. that is the first few but eventually you can go without the glass, depending if there is ladies present. then the glass just gets bigger.

Teck

'Och' a true Scot, well said my man, y'll no be cauld in y're neck'o'tha woods heh mate,"hic" :blink:

Hello, 1st post and I know nothing about fly fishing, but I do know abit about Single Malt.

I was in southern California a few months ago and I bought 2 bottles of The Glenlivet Nadurra 16 yr Cast Strength. It is a fantastic single malt. It is not available in Canada (go figure) and I am wondering if anybody would be interested in buying my 2nd bottle? They go for around $120. Any thoughts?

Besides that, Aberlour 10yr and Macallan 10yr sherry oak are my favs to date. I had some Bowmore 12?yr the other day, really smokie, it was nice!

Scott.

You want a scotch ask a Scot, either Jura if you can get it, or Macallan, and no water, a Scot takes it straight, I once asked for a little water in a scotch for my good lady, in an inn on the borders, I was told "if you want a coctail go to a wine bar"

Water is alright in tay, for fish and things that swim in rivers

• 2 weeks later...