Fly Fusion Forums

Good Bottle Of Scotch? Whiskey?

Hi all:

Contrary to my partial Irish heritage (and trust me, given my family tree, the stereotype fits! :)), I am not too knowledgeable about fine spirits.

I wish to reward a patient JV partner with a fine bottle of scotch or whiskey or something really good.

Looking to spend $40 to $100.

Recommendations are appreciated! Certainly someone out there is more knowledeable than me...

Thanks in Advance!

Mike Smith "Smitty"

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imbibing Scotch Whisky depends on what type of whisky that you prefer. The tastes vary from the very smooth Glenkinchie to the almost acrid smokey peat tasting Laphroaig.

This link will dispel the mysteries and give you an insight into Uisge Beatha, The Water of Life.

Why do the Scots drink?

With regards to the $40 - $100, it can be done but if you really want to impress, how about £3,000 for a 60 year old single malt from Islay? :)

Imbibing Scotch Whisky depends on what type of whisky that you prefer. The tastes vary from the very smooth Glenkinchie to the almost acrid smokey peat tasting Laphroaig.

This link will dispel the mysteries and give you an insight into Uisge Beatha, The Water of Life.

Why do the Scots drink?

With regards to the $40 - $100, it can be done but if you really want to impress, how about £3,000 for a 60 year old single malt from Islay? :)

Well:

Ummm....yeah...hmmm. I do appreciate my JV partner, but I think perhaps, just maybe, that last recommend is a little pricey. :lol:

Thanks Everyone! Keep them coming if you can think of a "you must consider..."

Smitty

X2 on the Lagavulin. You can get a sweet deal on them at superstore! Islay scotches are the my favorite. Not a fan of Glenfiddich. I was taught by an old scotsman to always put a small amount of water in your scotch to activate the flavours.

Ahh, I could debate about scotch for hours, preferably over a bottle of Caol Ila.

Highland Park (12 year) for about 60 bucks, McClelland's (Highland or Lowland and don't buy the 16 year old...it costs waaaay too much and is no better than an 8 year old) for about 40 bucks. Bear in mind that these are not smoky whiskies, I can't stand a smoky whiskey so I don't buy them.

James

I am very partial to Oban or Macallan - you can't go wrong with either of those. Like others above, I don't like the Glenfiddich. Generally, highlands are smoother and lowlands are peaty (which I think is more of a personal taste - personally I think they taste like feet).

There are a few Single Malt Scotch's that I like

Glenfidditch Solera Reserve is a nice smooth scotch with good flavour (15 year)

Balvennie- Double Cask (Oak and then Sherry) 12 year

Just picked up a bottle of "The Fat Trout" Lowland Single Malt- it is a pleasant tasting scotch that is fairly smooth. Check it out @ www.thefattrout.com

I also Glenmorangie, Oban, Glenfidditch 12 year old and (excuse the spelling) Bunnadabun (pronounced Bunavun)

Cheers

Chris

That's a tough one...there's so many different types. I've introduced people to Scotch on all types, but I find that most either like the more subtle ones (ie. Speyside scotches) or those with more bite to them (ie. smokey/peaty Islays).

You're best bet may be a Glenmorangie (I think this is what Don is also suggesting). It's not the most expensive, but don't let that fool ya.

If you're looking for something a little more expensive go with a Cragganmore, or Talisker if you want a little more kick.

a nice one is 17 or 18 yr glenfarclas (sp?)

for a 12 year, the Balvennie and Highland park are both very nice

i'm kind of partial the speyside single malts. gelnfiddich 18 ancient 65 -85 $ depending on where you shop is good as well.

lmao:D...to quote american pie "single malt, aged 18 years...the way i like it"...does that mean you're a MILF LS?... :lol::lol: jks

Hi Mike,

Have a look at this site, its a store five minutes from the River Spey and my house, that way you can get a bottle of Whisky that is not available in Canada or the US, i might be able to carry it over to Calgary for you, but i have three nice bottles for the Fly fishing show that are not available in Canada to take already.

www.weespeydram.co.uk/

Gordon.

I am very partial to Oban or Macallan - you can't go wrong with either of those. Like others above, I don't like the Glenfiddich. Generally, highlands are smoother and lowlands are peaty (which I think is more of a personal taste - personally I think they taste like feet).

Good call. Macallan is as good as they get. How about that Lagavulin you were talking about when we were ice fishing?

Walker, what did you get? I got some nice additions to the stash, and a flask to carry them in ;)

Smitty, is the person new to scotch, or an experienced drinker?

You know Bloom, I just don't know. I just thought Scotch would be something thoughtful. Perhaps this might not be a good idea, if they aren't experienced or have sophisticated taste? But he's from my dad's generation, so it's hard to to imagine that after of 65 yrs on this planet, he hasn't developed a taste for scotch. I don't know... ;)

Hi Mike,

Have a look at this site, its a store five minutes from the River Spey and my house, that way you can get a bottle of Whisky that is not available in Canada or the US, i might be able to carry it over to Calgary for you, but i have three nice bottles for the Fly fishing show that are not available in Canada to take already.

www.weespeydram.co.uk/

Gordon.

Thanks Gordon, realize I am in Edmonton actually, but I appreciate your reply.

And thanks to everyone who replied; clearly this is quite a personal issue in terms of developing a taste that suits you. I wonder if there is something that is just considered a "mainstream" "classic" and is not too terribly obscure that someone will likely favor? Or is probably a case of its just a unique thing suited to an individual's taste? Or, put it another way, if you were setting up a bar for a social occasion, what would you offer your guests (other than beer! :)), if you knew nothing else?

This is has been a fun topic - glad I thought to post it here.

Smitty

Hey Bloom

The 2 new bottles are:

Glenfiddich 15 year

Glenlivit 15 year

The first bottle I personally bought was a year ago and it is 12 year Glenlivit and I can'y say I aquired a taste for this STUFF yet. Perhaps, a few of the occasions I poured one I had a few too many of the wobbly pops prior to savor and enjoy.

Out of the 2 new bottles, which one do you all recommend I crack first being an amatuer at this game?