Fly Fusion Forums

How A Hardy Reel Is Made

The finisher's name is Geordie... how cliché. I bet he commutes from Tyneside. :) Many years ago I did some touring around that area, but that was long before I was interested in fly fishing. Perhaps if I go back, a factory tour might be in order. Thanks for sharing Lornce.

So are only the high end Hardy reels made in Alnwick?

Yes, but I believe they brought some of the production back from Korea eg: Bougles. To be honest, functionally I can't tell the difference- a CNC machine is the same whether in the UK or Korea..

Mike

Yes, but I believe they brought some of the production back from Korea eg: Bougles. To be honest, functionally I can't tell the difference- a CNC machine is the same whether in the UK or Korea..

Mike

I have a Korean-made Bougle and two UK-made ones. Can't tell the difference unless you look for the "Made in Alnwick" stamped on them.

• Like 3

They didn't show how they put in that obnoxious sound though :glare:

Doggone it Monger,

There are only three sounds that should never change:

1) belching on a Harley

2) the growl of a MGB

3) the sweet sound of a Hardy.

Don't be a peasant,

Don

• Like 2

My fishing buddy uses a multiplier on his XP. I hear it often enough. Especially when sharing a 12ft Lund.

All my reels are pretty much silent. I'll take the quiet peasant route every time.

Just teasing all you folks with the need for volume. Good thing there is lots of choice in the toys we can buy.

Love my Hardy Angels, have collected the whole series over the last dozen years. Hard tracking down the UK built ones.

Have a pretty quiet drag,visual difference between UK & Korean ones is the chain mail wrapped handles on originals. Finish isn't as nice on the new ones.

Ringtone on my iPhone is a Perfect screeching out its drag. It is loud !

• Like 2

Love my Hardy Angels, have collected the whole series over the last dozen years. Hard tracking down the UK built ones. Have a pretty quiet drag,visual difference between UK & Korean ones is the chain mail wrapped handles on originals. Finish isn't as nice on the new ones. Ringtone on my iPhone is a Perfect screeching out its drag. It is loud !

Haha, I have the same ringtone..

Mike