Fly Fusion Forums

Tying Experience

Flytyer

I was going back through some old posts and came across the flyfishing experience thread so I thought why not find out how much tying experience we have at the board here.

I started when I was 9 and been tying for longer than alot of members here have been in this world. A long time for sure LOL

After seeing Writer's response and thinking back to the year I have to say where did time go? I started in 1964. Dryfly what happened your brother move away or something? Can't blame for sponging......why tie when you can mooch :lol:

Well I tied my first fly in about 1976 or so. Got the starter kit and tied up a 52 Buick which never caught any fish. Then I did up some black wooly buggers and caught some pothole rainbows at Black Nugget Reservoir, I mastered the scud next and caught more pothole trout. Then I moved to Calgary and spent twelve years working in the field and stopped tying. So about ten years ago I took the City of Calgary course and have been serious about it ever since. So a rather convoluted response and so I say thirteen years tying.

Guest Rocknbugs

I have been messing around with it for a couple of years now but really have no clue of techniques or anything really. Been tying Hares Ears for the lake and well of course many versions of the worm (which I dont consider tying its more like wrapping) I do enjoy it and have started a fly tying course at FishTales actually I have my 3rd class tonight each week we learn 2 or 3 flies and I have probably tied 60 of each iin between just trying to get better at it, I am finding to that repitition is key to figuring it out.

Rock.

About 48 years for me. Started at 8 years old and learned from my dad and and a Scottish friend of his who tied the most incredible Atlantic's. I remember my Dad saying, I'm not paying no 15 cents for flies. Here's your new vice.

Still trying to get it right and having fun tying. Teach tying classes now and again. I find myself tying a lot more of the classics that I haven't done for many years.