Fly Fusion Forums

Thinking Of Buying A Drift Boat To Rent Out.

Would that include shuttle costs? Would you do the shuttling?

I don't have a vehicle that can tow a boat, which is one of the many reasons why I do not have one. (Cost, time and not knowing a damn thing about rowing being the others lol) But I would be open to looking into it as it would be a great day to spend with the kids on the river.

Any business can be developed and service sold if you market it right and put some effort into sales. I think it would be a slow start and then it would pick up with some regular business over a few years. I think what stops a lot of people is they feel uncomfortable navigating a boat down the river.

Forgot to add yes I would rent it. I do have a jet boat but It would be nice to hit the city every once in a bit to drift and to take it to the Waterton also.

heaps of places rent them out in Montana with the liability insurance, but i guess they're full time outfitters.

(and maybe the missouri is an easier river to row)

Still it would be great if there was at least one place that did it in Calgary.

You'd have the corner on this market.

i'd rent it out.

(plus if its a business you could tax deduct all your own fishing gear and expenses right!)

Earlier this year a drift boat was caught on some rocks and capsized due to inexperience. No one got hurt and the boat was recovered. I only mention it to show what can happen. Renting out a boat will expose lots of inexperienced people.

• Like 1

I rent mine out once in a while. If I'm not using it that day I consider it easy beer money. He picks it up in the morning and drops it off in the PM. The bow is remarkably easy to navigate. BUT my boat is not in pristine condition, its got some bumps and bruises and I'm not terribly concerned about cosmetics. Of course its a bit of a risk in that it could get sunk or cracked or even in an accident on the road.

Nothing ventured nothing gained

(to be honest I would consider selling mine if I could rent one for reasonable price, I could use the extra parking spot)

I rent mine out once in a while. If I'm not using it that day I consider it easy beer money. He picks it up in the morning and drops it off in the PM. The bow is remarkably easy to navigate. BUT my boat is not in pristine condition, its got some bumps and bruises and I'm not terribly concerned about cosmetics. Of course its a bit of a risk in that it could get sunk or cracked or even in an accident on the road.

Nothing ventured nothing gained

(to be honest I would consider selling mine if I could rent one for reasonable price, I could use the extra parking spot)

you can store it at my house lol
  • Like 1

I tried it , made a lil money , I had 3 boats at one time , 2 drift boats and a power drifter for myself

I only rented to guys who at least had rowed a boat , and I'd let the guys who guided for me rent it for a deal if they didn't own a boat $100

Are you going to get rich , NO , can *hit go wrong , YES , you should be able to get $200 for a nice Hyde , split it 3 ways and the guys happy, you might get it rent out 15 times a year , over 5 years it's paid for itself ,

Just be picky who you rent it to ,make sure the guy on the oars kinda knows what he's doing , and still *hit can happen fast , I remember pulling the odd guide from a well known fly shop up river into policemans after they missed the takeout ,

You float long enough , things will happen to ya

• Like 1

For rentals would a higher quality raft like Maravia, NRS, Aires, Riken not be a better water craft to rent out. Possibly end up renting to many drift boat owners who would like to try some skinnier water closer to the mountains? Lots of faster BC stuff like the Bull upstream of the dam? Drifters are the best on bigger and wider but you are really limited with what you can navigate. A higher quality raft can be bounced off lots without the scars a drift would incur. Much better chance of commercial success for the owner too....