Fly Fusion Forums

Tiger Trout Update

The Tigers are coming this fall if all goes well.....

Muir , Beaver , Ironside , Hennigers , Black Nugget , Dilberry , Kerbe's , East Twin, Lower Chain , maybe Tyrell....

There are other waters on the list for next year if numbers allow.

• Like 1

It was a dumping grounds during the IPN Virus out break.It's infested with pike,& cow s it.The affluent brings the PH way up high,so it supports shrimp,suckers etc..Doesn't surprise me that the ESRD selection.I thought they would have learned from stocking Bull Trout in Chain lks.That people don't no how to identify the species,in the lake.I can see them stocking them in some of the QSF Lks.But some of those can't handle anymore fish stockings.I put forth Dipping Vat.There are no fish in there,was a fantastic fishery until some greedy buggers turned it into a hodge podge joke.They will put them where they want no matter what concerned fishers say.

Both Muir & Beaver meet some of there requirements for the trial.My thoughts Beaver is C & R,therefore the reg's should cover the Tigers.Both places are aerated,no inlet or outlets.Tigers get along with most ,other trout.They are highly predatory,so they may help the ESRD.Get some decent feed back on perhaps,lowering perch numbers in trout infested lakes ie.Phyliss,Tay,Twin,with there aggressive nature.They still need to jump a few barriers,stockings probably won't be until sept 15,or 2016.You could send your concerns to dave.park@gov.ab.ca

There is no question that big fish eat little fish. At one time I watched big rainbows eat little rainbows in Struble. Now I see big Browns eat rainbows in Mitchell.

Maybe, if I'm lucky, I just might see big Tigers eat rainbows in Beaver.

That sure will reduce the over-stocking occurring now.

Don

• Like 1

Sweating my fat -ss off .So I thought I would look see where all these,proposed spots are.Esrd definitely is spreading them around.To be fair I'm using the AB.Fishing guide 2015.So Hasse lk.Was stocked with walleye?Lower Chain lk.has pike & perch in it.East twin lk. is up by Manning ab.[Travel Ab] destination for sure.Tyrell lk.as mentioned feedlot run-off definite issue.What a waste.But I guess that's what they call sharing the resource.It's like the guy at the hatchery said.We'er like farmers we raise what,the public wants.Keeps them in the business of raising fish.

Funny thing, this spring almost all the bigger trout I caught, dozen or so, were in popular put and take fisheries. None were old brooders, 2 to 3 lb brookies and 4 to 5 lb rainbows

• Like 2

Here is some info.

Heard today that the Tiger Trout Task Team has now identified selected water bodies for stocking tiger trout.

Selection criteria for these waters include:

• Must be able to overwinter fish either naturally or through aeration; and

• Must be isolated with no outlet or inlet; and

• Must be able to monitor through trail cameras and/or volunteer participation and/or dedicated area/hatchery participation; and

o For mono-culture fisheries, waters with known or perceived low catch rates will be priority, stocking of existing trout species will be replaced with Tiger Trout, performance can be compared to existing lake information or provincial averages.

o Mixed fisheries with existing information on trout growth, condition and survival are desirable.

• Must be physically and socially capable of accepting an increase or decrease in angling pressure; and

o On successful fisheries angler pressure could exceed 400 angler hours per hectare;

o If unsuccessful areas could see a decrease in angler pressure and an increase in angler complaints.

o There should be other angling opportunities nearby.

o Existing Quality Stocked Fishery objective desirable; if not present will need to consult.

• Should have an adequate prey species forage base that does not include species at risk in Alberta; and

• Water should be scattered throughout the province. Total surface area (200 – 400 hectares) should be large enough to accommodate an annual stocking of 15-20 thousand Tiger trout at a stocking rate of 50-100 fish per hectare.

Next steps are to:

• Confirm environmental suitability and social acceptance over summer, 2015

• Final selection of water bodies September 2015

• Stocking of TGTR September – October 2015, Spring 2016

• Assessment throughout 2016 and 2017

• Reassessment of TGTR stocking program end of 2017

The stocking locations with proposed stocking numbers have been prioritized as follows pending further study and consultation this summer:

1 Muir Lake 1,500

2 Beaver Lake 1,000

3 Ironside Lake 200

4 Heninger’s Reservoir 2,000

5 Black Nugget Mine Pit 2,100

6 Tyrrell Lake 0 See Note 2

7 Dillberrry Lake 8,700

8 Kerbe’s Pond 200

9 East Twin Lake 1,000

10 Lower Chain Lake 4,300

The above will account for all tiger trout available for stocking in 2015. Next in order of priority are:

11 Running Lake 1,500

12 Captain Eyre Lake 1,000

13 Keenex Coulee Reservoir 2,000

14 Ole’s Pond 1,000 26,500

15 Dolberg Lake 1,700

16 Foremost Reservoir 600

17 Hasse Lake 9,000

18 Peanut Lake 700

19 Blood Indian Reservoir 5,000

1 – Stocking rate based on Ontario rate for BNTR yearlings. 50-100 per ha.

2 – Need to assess survival before stocking, can receive up to 40,000 fish.

Peter

• Like 1