Fly Fusion Forums

Tigers Soon In Alberta Waters !

Approximately 10,000 Tiger Trout will be stocked in Alberta later this year.
Where they will be planted has yet to be determined but likely a couple of lakes up north , a couple near Edmonton and a couple down south.
There are still a few hurdles being worked as to exactly when this will happen and anglers will be encouraged to release all Tigers so that they can be caught by others and grow to a bigger size. Congrats to ESRD and the Fisheries Management for rearing this hybrid to further enhance fishing enjoyment for Albertans.
  • Like 7

Approximately 10,000 Tiger Trout will be stocked in Alberta later this year.

Where they will be planted has yet to be determined but likely a couple of lakes up north , a couple near Edmonton and a couple down south.

There are still a few hurdles being worked as to exactly when this will happen and anglers will be encouraged to release all Tigers so that they can be caught by others and grow to a bigger size. Congrats to ESRD and the Fisheries Management for rearing this hybrid to further enhance fishing enjoyment for Albertans.

Last I heard they will not be making it very far south but here's hoping the hatchery guys convinced certain regional managers otherwise. Encouraged catch and release never really works that well but maybe a few will escape.

Taco, quit deflating everyone's bubble..

Mike

To be honest Mike, at the time and after a quick glance I thought it was a hybrid bull/brookie but it wasn't until I posted the pic here a couple yrs back that it was pointed out it was likely a brown/brookie cross.

• Like 2

Jay

I would have to agree ,they are kinda nice looking ,

not as good as a big ol nasty brown from the bow , the bow Browns can't be beat for looks

These tigers have Some wicked markings and they do fight good , something to think about for the next 4 or 5 years till they get some size in Alberta

image.jpg2_zpso65gugg1.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsj2i94j21.jpg

• Like 8

It's not if it happens it is going to happen. Confirmed Stocking 11,000 20cm Tigers from north to south. Lakes not determined.

Right now Blood Indian confirmed to see how they do against the German Carp problem. Fisheries doesn't want them specifically for fish management more for diversity to our fishery and give the Alberta fisherman a bigger and better variety of fish to catch.

I can not wait they are such a pretty fish specially when they get into spawning colors of the Brookie.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S

Rainbows are eating little carp at Blood Indian already....Tigers will love them. Now how long will it take for them to get bonked? Lots of people driving from Calgary already to fill the stomach daily AND bring home their daily family limit.