Fly Fusion Forums

Booting Random Campers

wow, the nerve of some people huh. just go ahead and move on in, good grief! Everyone should have to pay to camp, its the only thing that will keep you honest to a point. we still see paying camp grounds get left in a aweful shape.

• Like 1

I love random camping. I go for a few days. Pack up all my crap, clean up the fire ring, and leave.

These guys and the 'people' along all the south streams Liv, OM, Race etc are not random camping. They are squatting. Selfish bastards think they own the place.

Rules: A seasonal random camping permit at a reasonable cost. 14 day limit. No unoccupied site - you leave take your stuff. Just maybe someone else might like the site for a few days. No permit your unit gets pulled and left, out of the way of other users. It gets damaged. Tough *hit.

I've contemplated briefly parking my trailer beside an absent squatter's rig such that they can't open the door. If I weren't worried about the potential violence of the reaction I'd maybe try. See how they feel about not being able to use 'their' site for a bit.

Anybody want to join a vigilante group? :);)

• Like 2

There have to be big changes in the regulations for random camping and maybe even have some areas declared off limits to that use. At least until as the article states the vegetation has a chance to recover. There are many areas down along the Oldman and in the Castle that are packed dirt with not even a blade of grass growing anymore.

• Like 1

Its about time, they really need to be out there doing this in the summer though. Many units get pulled in before May long so people can get "their spot" and dont leave untill well after september long. The max 14 day stay really needs to be enforced.

• Like 6

I love random camping. I go for a few days. Pack up all my crap, clean up the fire ring, and leave.

These guys and the 'people' along all the south streams Liv, OM, Race etc are not random camping. They are squatting. Selfish bastards think they own the place.

Rules: A seasonal random camping permit at a reasonable cost. 14 day limit. No unoccupied site - you leave take your stuff. Just maybe someone else might like the site for a few days. No permit your unit gets pulled and left, out of the way of other users. It gets damaged. Tough *hit.

I've contemplated briefly parking my trailer beside an absent squatter's rig such that they can't open the door. If I weren't worried about the potential violence of the reaction I'd maybe try. See how they feel about not being able to use 'their' site for a bit.

Anybody want to join a vigilante group? :);)

I like the idea of a paid permit system. We could hire more CO's as well as give them a reason to enter campsites to check permits and enforce violations. I also think it would keep a lot of people from random camping in the first place if they had to pay for either a daily, weekly or seasonal permits. Mainly I like the idea because we need more CO's in Alberta and this would be a good way to pay for them.

• Like 2

Love where your thoughts are going with this... increase revenue and subsequently up the number of Conservation Officers out there.

From the GOA website:

*** The Government of Alberta is currently in a hiring restraint. As a result, we will be suspending or cancelling recruitment to many of our positions. Available opportunities will continue to be posted on our website.
Thank you for your interest in employment with the Government of Alberta. ***

There appears to be one CO recruitment posting up right now, but with the above caveat, the likelihood of an expanding Natural Resources workforce is pretty guarded. Even if this increased revenue were proposed to offset the cost, I think it would be a tough sell to convince the powers that be that we need more officers right now rather than fewer.