Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Fishing Expo

I will be attending only the one day. Sadly, I work both the Friday and the Saturday, so I will be in on the Sunday.

Will have to talk to the kids to see if they would rather be in church thinking about fishing, or at the fishing expo thinking about God ;-)

As Norman Maclean said, sometimes there's "no clear line between religion and fly fishing." Me and my son will be attending Expo on the Sunday as well. Not sure I can convince my daughter though, even if it means skipping church.

• Like 1

Good Saturday at the Expo. Very busy, thanks everyone who dropped by the booth, we had a dedicated area this year to teach kids how to tie a fly, lots of fun, very happy little ones and appreciative parents who simply glowed when their pride and joy finished a fly. Kudos to all our sponsors.

We're working the booth again tomorrow so stop by and say hi.

• Like 1

A huge thanks to Murray for showing my son how to tie his very first fly today. I think my boy did an excellent job, and is now officially ahead of me by 1 in the tying count. Also appreciate Murray's efforts to teach me how to whip finish... my boy is better student than I.

Was nice to get to meet a couple of the forum members face to face. I whispered to my son as we approached the booth, "there's the SilverDoctor; he's famous." Lornce overheard, and said, "not famous but maybe infamous" :bow: Great job to all the volunteers... there were many happy kids as a result of your effort, time and skills. (Edit to add a pic!)

IMG_5399.jpg

• Like 4

Jason,

Can your son tie me up some of those please!! Nice work!

P

A huge thanks to Murray for showing my son how to tie his very first fly today. I think my boy did an excellent job, and is now officially ahead of me by 1 in the tying count. Also appreciate Murray's efforts to teach me how to whip finish... my boy is better student than I.

Was nice to get to meet a couple of the forum members face to face. I whispered to my son as we approached the booth, "there's the SilverDoctor; he's famous." Lornce overheard, and said, "not famous but maybe infamous" :bow: Great job to all the volunteers... there were many happy kids as a result of your effort, time and skills. (Edit to add a pic!)

IMG_5399.jpg

I was quite impressed with Brett's attention to detail. He did a real good job on the Wooly Bugger.

It was great to see all the kids at the show. Lornce and I estimate at least 200 kids came by and tied up a fly. Andy and Tom(Pokerfish) helped out a lot. Really appreciate all of your efforts. Some of the kids were amazing.

Jason,

Can your son tie me up some of those please!! Nice work!

P

I'm sure he would be happy to Peter... once he fills the orders from his father and uncle first. Not sure why I would bother learning to tie, if I could just get him to do it for me ;)

• Like 1

Had an awesome time at the expo on the weekend. Thanks to Murray for organizing the volunteers and allowing me the experience. Was a pleasure meeting and working with you, Murray and Lornce. Also, it was nice to put a face to some of you here in the forum. Met some great people and their little ones, some of which are fly tying naturals! Until next time, tight lines! Andy

• Like 1

Hey Darren if you get to pick go with the 8'6 it has a softer feel than the 9 foots. But I guess it depends on what you like. They will let you cast it they have a bunch set up at their shop.

I found on my 9 foot I had to go up 1 line to get it to load nice at shorter distances. When trout fishing I rarely make long casts im sneaky like a ninja on red bull.

Hey Darren if you get to pick go with the 8'6 it has a softer feel than the 9 foots. But I guess it depends on what you like. They will let you cast it they have a bunch set up at their shop.

I found on my 9 foot I had to go up 1 line to get it to load nice at shorter distances. When trout fishing I rarely make long casts im sneaky like a ninja on red bull.

Jared,

I already have the 8'6" 5wt, and I love it!

Going with the 8'0" 3wt to replace my 7'6" 3wt. Then I will have that rod for my son to use when we go out together.

Something I have to say, we ran all those 200+ kids through tying a fly. Even though there was a mosaic of hand eye coordination and abilities, every single one concentrated and took instruction brilliantly finishing their fly. No complaining or difficulties. I think it says a lot about the generation of kids in sports orient families.

• Like 4

Have attended the Denver Fly Fishing shows and various other ones in the past. The show in Calgary during the weekend of the 23rd was the poorest one I ever attended. There seems to be a lack in attendance of fly fishing manufacturers. Retailers blowing-out old stock does not constitute a show.

• Like 1