Fly Fusion Forums

Looking For A Guide Thats Not Terry Johnson

BigFoamy

Im looking for recommendations. A buddy and I are planning a Bow float for early oct, Im finicky, in paying for a guide Ive only used Terry J out of FishTales and am reluctant to book without him. That said he's popular and its not looking like he's available on the days that I am. It costs a lot of money and I want a good guide, someone that does it for a living, not just some guy that has a boat. Its happened once before and it wasn't awesome, hence the reluctancy. Im sure there is a couple more really good guides out there, I just don't who they are. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Brent. Haven't needed a guide but good to know Kevin and Dee are skilled guys available for hire. Seems there are lots of "guides" that float down the middle of the river not offering much to their clients these days

Think it's pretty telling watching "guides" show up at a launch, pull out the client rods which are pre-rigged with bobbers from the day before, and not change a thing (why bother when you've got 2 worms on)... Same guys who you see when they throw in, and not once after as they're doing 8 hour worm runs. Sure they'll catch some fish, but certainly not showing what the Bow can do, or the really cool stuff.

Fished with Maxwell 3 days in July.......When I come back to Alberta I'm going to book with him again....Dont know the others but Max did an awesome job putting us on fish every day and got a few big ones as well.......I highly recommend him

Whoever you get , good luck and enjoy ....the Bow is a treasure....too bad I live so far away in NY......

Enjoy it !!!!!!

JK

Fished with Maxwell 3 days in July.......When I come back to Alberta I'm going to book with him again....Dont know the others but Max did an awesome job putting us on fish every day and got a few big ones as well.......I highly recommend him

Whoever you get , good luck and enjoy ....the Bow is a treasure....too bad I live so far away in NY......

Enjoy it !!!!!!

JK

Seeing a comment like this makes me appreciate where I live that much more.

Think it's pretty telling watching "guides" show up at a launch, pull out the client rods which are pre-rigged with bobbers from the day before, and not change a thing (why bother when you've got 2 worms on)... Same guys who you see when they throw in, and not once after as they're doing 8 hour worm runs. Sure they'll catch some fish, but certainly not showing what the Bow can do, or the really cool stuff.

never seen a double worm rig and never will.

Im torn at this point, I have a past here. Man I wish I could go back 10 years :) this decision would be much easier, I think. One guy I would like to use but am hesitant because of my past here, not really hesitant, I just wont do it. Good life lesson for myself and others to always try to be cool, you just never who ur gonna need or run into down the road.

BF