Fly Fusion Forums

Mosquito Repellant

Recently went camping with my brother and he had one of these things. I was pretty skeptical at first, but I have to say it worked amazingly. Before it was on the mosquito's were pretty awful. Five minutes with the thermacell on and they were gone for the rest of the evening. Maybe it was coincidence, have only seen one being used once. Not sure how they work in the wind. I bought one the next day although havent had a chance to use it yet. You can buy a belt attachment for it also.

http://www.basspro.com/Clip-On-Holster-for-ThermaCELL-Mosquito-Repellent-Unit/product/10225751/?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT

I lather my hat pretty heavily with deep woods 8 hr spray and it seems to do the trick. Then I wear long sleeves and a buff. If they are really bad I wear fingerless stripping gloves sprayed.

X2

Try to avoid poisoning our skin as much as possible.

X2

Try to avoid poisoning our skin as much as possible.

Deet on skin is still preferable to a west nile bout, watched it, ain't pretty and 4 yrs later the guy can still barely walk to end of the block.

• Like 1

My spouse is a botanist who spends her summers tromping around the northern muskeg. She swears by Ben's. You can get it at Camper's Village and MEC. To me, it seems to work the best, but to be honest, it does seem a lot like Muskol. It does not matter really. The stupid mosquitos seem to bite me regardless of the repellent that I use. It is my curse---I am delicious.

The bananas one is a myth just like the Avon skin so soft was. In fact, I had read that eating bananas attracted them. I eat a banana every day at breakfast and no discernible difference at all. What works is deet, the active ingredient in the repellents that work. The topic has largely been studied to death by various organizations including US military.

My brother was in the Armed Forces, used to get me "bug dope", stuff would eat through plastic but boy did it ever keep the bugs away. I always try to find the highest amount of Deet, I think Muskol is it at the moment.

Colin

• Like 1

I still have most of a small pump bottle Deep Woods 100% Deet tucked in my pack. Couple short pumps will keep a 30' circle skeeter free seems like. Works on horseflies, deerflies, blackflies and no-see-ums too

I tried a "Deer fly patch" the other day. It's a adhesive patch you stick to the back of your cap and has a sticky top side for flies to stick too as they circle your head. Unfortunately by the time I put it on to try the temp had dropped as did the number of flies. So I haven't done a true field test but I will in a few days.

I have also used lotion and spray made from essential oils which works well.

One of the oils in its ingredients is "catnip oil" so I would avoid wearing it in cougar country!!!! Haha!!

• 4 weeks later...

Here is an odd one...I use Vaseline cocoa butter cream daily on my hands, arms and face (which, incidentally, is fantastic for your skin, and leaves you smelling vaguely of rich chocolate) , and have discovered that mosquitoes will land on me, but only 1/500 will consider biting...it may be just me, but they will go after my exposed legs, which get almost no cream.

Thermacell works well if you are stationary,although I must admit I haven't really tried mine in the wind or walk/wading.

.....but I can say it is very effective against black flies in a spring black bear tree stand,and keeps skeeters out of my truck cab w/open windows at night in the sleeper.

I generally use either Muskol or DW Off for fishing.....30% DEET,and avoid getting it on the palms/fly line.

Screen mesh Bug jackets are great,only downside I've found is it reduces effectiveness of polarized glasses if you are sight fishing.....that and it's a wee bit difficult to smoke and drink thru a screen,haha.

• Like 1