Fly Fusion Forums

"dry" Camping In An Rv-Heat Questions

I am thinking about upgrading the "Cutty Hut". I have an option to buy a newer. bigger version. My only concern is heating it. The "Cutty Hut" has an old catalytic heater and it works great. It only needs propane to operate. The newer RV has a HydroFlame heater and it needs electricity for the blower fan. I don't use the furnace that often but it can get pretty chilly in May and September/October overnight.

Any suggestions besides a generator on how I can power the electric blower fan a few hours a night for a few nights, or any other suggestions for heating a 22' RV?

Thanks

Mr Bo:

Don't think solar will be a viable options where you will be, as if I recall that is mostly in the trees.Furnace sucks a LOT of power. We switch to all LED for interior lights to reserve as much as possible for fan. Get two big deep cycle batteries and a small quiet generator and you'll have all the juice you need except when there's frost on the pumpkin.

We also burn a propane lantern inside at night to save battery and provide a bit of heat - appropriate ventilation of course.

• Like 1

You shouldn't have a problem running it off one or two deep cycle batteries. And recharging with solar works well. I run my whole trailer off solar and batteries and have almost no need for the generator unless we are gone out for over a week with some bad weather. And we can run the furnace as well as tv radio and DVD player.

• Like 1

Al, I ran my solar when I was at Racehorse last summer. 2 deep cycle batteries, no problems. If I remember I was up to 100% charge by noon or so. Like Sean84, I've run my trailer off solar exclusively, I don't think it has ever been plugged in. Get the best solar you can afford would be my only caution.

2 group 27 deep cycles hooked together should last you 4 nights.My wife and I have done it many times,this includes 2 short showers and the wife is allways running water for dishes.We would run the furnace for about a half an hour before we went to bed.

I struggled with this decision. I tested out one of those portable solar kits from Costco last year. Can't remember the size, probably around 50w or so. Did not work well. Tested it in the backyard too and found in full sun I was only getting around 3 amps at most. You don't get that at Dutch that's for sure. I tried to chase the sun a bit but barely put on a charge. If I was going to go solar I would get one or two 100w panels installed on the roof and connected up to the system. As far as I found, product and installation was $1000+ at least for that.

Instead, I got a 2kw Yamaha gen at the RV show for the cost of a 1kw Honda. Hell of a deal. Al, I will make sure not to park by you at Dutch. Could be talked into giving you a charge if you need it :).

I am thinking about upgrading the "Cutty Hut". I have an option to buy a newer. bigger version. My only concern is heating it. The "Cutty Hut" has an old catalytic heater and it works great. It only needs propane to operate. The newer RV has a HydroFlame heater and it needs electricity for the blower fan. I don't use the furnace that often but it can get pretty chilly in May and September/October overnight.

Any suggestions besides a generator on how I can power the electric blower fan a few hours a night for a few nights, or any other suggestions for heating a 22' RV?

Thanks

http://www.powerspout.com/

or

https://www.engineeringforchange.org/static/content/Energy/S00070/5%20Gallon%20Bucket%20Build%20Manual.pdf

"Eco-Friendly Electricity in RVs"

Nice ... I can feel the planet cooling as we speak. We need more cooling. :devil::rolleyes:

No, wait ...

(Just being a dork on a snowy Saturday morn. Not that I need more practice.)

Tough to beat a true deep cycle like a Trojan group 31. I just bought one for my fifth wheel and expensive at 240 smackers but ..........

I think this would spin the fan a few nights for sure. 2 6 volt is series is the best.

I am a bit spoiled with a Honda 3000 inverter but we travel a lot and I like the idea of boondocking anywhere! Always good deals on kijji.

A honda 1000 would even chage your battery but I know you said you wanted to avoid the genny.

Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

I have camped 5 days so far and my battery has been used for the occasional light and listening to the game on my stereo. I have had the furnace on briefly to see if it works. I still have lots of juice left. One of my neighbours has two deep cycle batteries and takes one home every week and recharges it and rotates them through. I'm going to try this as I have 2 batteries. Trial and error until I come to a solution that works for me. My site has good sun exposure so a solar panel might be in the works. There is a well reviewed 100 W solar kit on Amazon for $250 that I might go to from Sean84's suggestion. Has anybody installed there own system? People mount the panel then put the wires thru the refrigerator vent and into the RV and then to the battery(ies). If anybody has done this please let me know,

Thanks for all your advice

Al