Fly Fusion Forums

Why Are Tfo Rods Shunned?

RedBeard

Ironically,I've used that golf analogy myself when a newb asks my opinion on high end rods.A high end rod is not going to instantly turn an inexperienced caster into Lee Wulff any more then a high end custom set of golf clubs is going to make an amateur golfer into Tiger Woods.

I'm highly skeptical that a shop employee ranked a rod that they did not carry above two they did.

My opinion is, that yes they have a good warranty. But you are definitely going to be using it. the number of rod breakages they have is insane.

Yes, you're right, I'm lying.... This guy was not the owner of the shop and I was not in the market at the time, we were just talking rods, and he said he had cast all three and that's actually how he ranked them. If he was a true salesman, I guess he would have done a bunch of arm-waving and told me that the Sage One is the best rod ever made, no other rod can even touch it, but if I was on a budget, the BVK would do....which takes me back to my point that a lot of Sage rods get sold by this tactic/brand recognition (same with Hardy).

Ironically,I've used that golf analogy myself when a newb asks my opinion on high end rods.A high end rod is not going to instantly turn an inexperienced caster into Lee Wulff any more then a high end custom set of golf clubs is going to make an amateur golfer into Tiger Woods.

lol, its always the clubs the fault... Theres so many things to consider, fast, med, slow not everyones cut out to cast one or the other as in a stiff or regular shaft in golf, hockey stick, whatever. The bottom line is that its the guy working the tool that makes the magic happen :)

I used to have a bunch of TFO stuff, now it seems I have a bunch of Hardy stuff. When I fished the TFO I didn't know I was supposed to think they were cheap rods, they seemed fine to me and I caught a lot of fish and had a ton of fun. Now I have the Hardy, they certainly feel and cast better, and I catch (sometimes) a lot of fish and have a lot of fun.

Maybe because I don't really care all that much about the "art" of casting I tend not to care too much about the rod. Casting is a means to an end. If I'm catching fish with the rod, I'm pretty happy. To continue the golf analogy, for the standard shot the weapon of choice doesn't matter so much. High end, low end, if you hit it in the middle, it'll all be good. Same with a generic trout rising in a generic run without a lot of *hit in the way (anyone notice what I did there?) how "good" the rod is probably doesn't matter much. But for those shots where I need to hit a low screaming hook around a tree (or cast to a sneaky trout across a creek in a swirling pool) the quality of the club can become much more important. Since I don't have the skill to make that cast (but I can hit a low screaming hook, sometimes even on demand) then whether or not I have a high end rod likely does not matter. I'll spend weeks researching what golf clubs to buy. For rods, it's more like "hey that feels pretty good..."

I can play the golf analogy...

If guys spent half the time that they do trying to perfect their swing on learning on how to cast better...I guarantee you'd see less TFOs being used. The average casting ability on the Bow is pretty low, due to the nature of what is needed to catch fish. Hucking a triple nymph rig works just fine, it's not pretty. Throw those anglers on a spring creek with spooky rising fish every day, and you'd see a big change in the approach to the sport.

not that i'm complaining...leave the rising fish alone

• Like 5

Pertaining to golf....kind of along the lines of what Rick is saying, there's also lot of guys that play blades, just to say they play blades, eventhough they should probably be using some big pocket-cavity/hybrid Adams set. I've seen it tons of times...guys talk the talk, buy Titelist blades, XXXXX-Stiff driver shaft and shank the iron, or duck-hook the driver...then blame it on the club.

There's guys that are good enough to know how to use and have a need for those clubs/rods, and there's guys that think they're good enough to know how to use and have a need for those clubs/rods. That's why I'd like to see the results of a 'blindfolded casting experiment' I was talking about earlier.

Guest bigdirty

That's why I'd like to see the results of a 'blindfolded casting experiment' I was talking about earlier.

I used to read hifi audio forums. most threads devolved into subjective/perception arguments that only a double blind test, that would never happen, could solve. boring.

Last time I checked, the fish don't give a rat's rear end what type of rod you're using. If it works for you don't let others influence you using it. As others have mentioned, as you get more experienced and progress in this sport, you'll have more rods than you know what to do with.

My $0.02 worth.

My opinion is, that yes they have a good warranty. But you are definitely going to be using it. the number of rod breakages they have is insane.

I have had five different TFO rods since I started fly fishing. I can count on one hand how many times they have broken. Once. And that was the very tip on the first rod set up I purchased, while it was still in the tube, before it even saw water. Never had any of my TFO's break since then. *knock on wood*.

My Orivs rod broke twice. In the same season. From fishing. Two different sections on two different rods as the first time they replaced it with a brand new rod. My Sage launch also broke while fishing.

Could just be me, but it seems to me that my TFO's have held up just was well, if not better, than some of the other rods that I have had. Wouldn't qualify that as "insane"

Getting back to bcubes's point on hucking triple nymph rigs 30' upstream under a bobber....if that is ones idea of "flyfishing" as seems to be the case with 80-90% of Bow anglers that I encounter,then there's likely not too many (any?)appropriately sized rods that won't do that adequately.On that note,I'm really surprised given the popularity of nymphing on Bow that I can only recall ever seeing ONE centerpinner vs.maybe a couple thousand indi-nymphers using fly line over the course of 3 years and maybe 200 days on Bow?Whats up with that?Why not use the best tool for the job??

Anyhow,I guess I like the casting aspect of flyfishing as much or more as the catching?For me it's more about the "how" then the "how many" fish I catch.I generally only resort to nymphing when I'm going thru a severe slump with streamers and just really need to feel a tug.

• Like 2

I have several TFO rods and love them. I have a whole string of rods up to 12wt, Loomis, Sage etc, and still use them regularly. Seems to me alot of significance is placed on the $'s on the tag in the flyfishing game, for a good majority of the rods I've ever cast I can't say the subtle differences aren't generally readily apparent. Then again, I'm pretty new to the game. The price point is nice, and they make great backup or main rods. Love my 8'6 4wt BVK, 9' 8wt BVK, and 9' 10wt BVK. Also have a few TiCr's that are pretty solid also. Quick fix if you break one, as opposed to some painful screwing around I've experienced with some "higher end" models. Solid all around in my opinion...

• Like 1

That one you bought Kyle, is the one I kept breakin'. To this day I don't know what I was doin' wrong that rod didn't like, probably just a run of poor luck, bad planning.

• 4 months later...

I have a 5 wt. TFO BVK, and am quite happy with it. They also do fairly well, on the shootout tests.

I have the 8'6" 5wt. BVK and couldn't be happier with it. I LOVE how it casts. I've chucked dries, nypmh rigs and small streamers with it very easily. Great rod.

I have a 8wt BVK, Really like it., bought it for Bone fishin, To me, It casts like a 8wt. But plays a fish like a 6wt. nice feel for the price... Its my now go to lake rod when its windy or need a long cast.... Also tag it along on rivers and streams for castin Big stuff to the Bullies....

Cheers... Jeff..

• 7 months later...

Getting back to bcubes's point on hucking triple nymph rigs 30' upstream under a bobber....if that is ones idea of "flyfishing" as seems to be the case with 80-90% of Bow anglers that I encounter,then there's likely not too many (any?)appropriately sized rods that won't do that adequately.On that note,I'm really surprised given the popularity of nymphing on Bow that I can only recall ever seeing ONE centerpinner vs.maybe a couple thousand indi-nymphers using fly line over the course of 3 years and maybe 200 days on Bow?Whats up with that?Why not use the best tool for the job??

Anyhow,I guess I like the casting aspect of flyfishing as much or more as the catching?For me it's more about the "how" then the "how many" fish I catch.I generally only resort to nymphing when I'm going thru a severe slump with streamers and just really need to feel a tug.

It sounds like you feel casting streamers is more sophisticated than nymphing
where in this white-collar world then do you put your hardhat for hucking, chucking, and ducking half an ounce of lead flying roughshot through the air?
let's be honest the only really pretty casting comes with dry flies, even when the experts do it.
I am just giving you a hard time, and trying to keep you honest, while having a laugh.
I think all in all, we need to keep in mind that the sport is about just having fun by whatever means you choose to have fun with
I nymph because it works, but love dryfly and streamer fishing as well, and usually do all 3 with a hardhat and facemask on
  • Like 2

TFO rods are just fine and have different price ranges for the starting to more accomplished fisher. You should drop into Springbrook & talk to Ken about rods & what type of fishing you're going to do. Also ask at some of the fly shops for an honest opinion. Courtney is somewhat opinionated & isn't a TFO dealer.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 9ft 6wt BVK that I bought specifically for streamer and heavy nymph fishing on rivers and for trolling lakes. Its a decent rod for the price and warranty. I'm finding out pretty fast you don't need an expensive streamer or trolling rod. Anything that will huck a heavy fly out will do. As for dry fly, different story, its not very accurate and its tiring for me to cast. In heavy water its ok, but anything where you need to be a ninja I won't catch anything with it. I have a 4wt 8ft Hardy Zenith that is pretty dam good for my ninja needs.

It sounds like you feel casting streamers is more sophisticated than nymphing

where in this white-collar world then do you put your hardhat for hucking, chucking, and ducking half an ounce of lead flying roughshot through the air?

let's be honest the only really pretty casting comes with dry flies, even when the experts do it.

I am just giving you a hard time, and trying to keep you honest, while having a laugh.

I think all in all, we need to keep in mind that the sport is about just having fun by whatever means you choose to have fun with

I nymph because it works, but love dryfly and streamer fishing as well, and usually do all 3 with a hardhat and facemask on

Haha....I'm hardly what you'd call "sophisticated"....and actually do wear a hardhat daily in my blue collar oil patch world.....but never while fishing.

Never been a fan of weighted streamers,at least not casting them with SH rods,and much prefer sink tips in that regard.Ive only relatively recently accepted moderately weighted flies into my arsenal since being bit by the Spey bug,as the 2H'ers do indeed launch them safely and efficiently.....but I decided well over 2 decades ago that attempting to double haul a dumbbell streamer to swing thru a lie 80' away was just a bad idea all around.Most of my streamer/wet fly swingn' is done with sink tips,Spey,or both these days,the SH rods are reserved for tiny creeks and/or dry fly duty......no hardhats required,although on occasion I've seriously considered getting one of those sports novelty/double beer holder hardhats specifically for fishing. ;)