Fly Fusion Forums

Why Are Tfo Rods Shunned?

RedBeard

The year before last a guide I know who owns a fly shop here in BC and attends trade shows in Canada and the USA told me the TFO rods that are available in the states are better quality than the rods available in Canada. Can't remember the reason why. US reputation is much better than the Canadian one. All that said TFO has outstanding warranty service.

The year before last a guide I know who owns a fly shop here in BC and attends trade shows in Canada and the USA told me the TFO rods that are available in the states are better quality than the rods available in Canada. Can't remember the reason why. US reputation is much better than the Canadian one. All that said TFO has outstanding warranty service.

I have a hard time believing that, think of it on economic terms, TFO is going to fork out the cost to tool up to manufature a completly different rod line up for the Canadian market..... which is close to only 10% of the US market, it doesn't make cents.

They have a better rep in the US because the vast majority of yanks are making peanuts. So spending money on the newest Sage verses a TFO and rent, easy decision.

I have a hard time believing that, think of it on economic terms, TFO is going to fork out the cost to tool up to manufature a completly different rod line up for the Canadian market..... which is close to only 10% of the US market, it doesn't make cents.

They have a better rep in the US because the vast majority of yanks are making peanuts. So spending money on the newest Sage verses a TFO and rent, easy decision.

Still could be that they're all made by the same machine, yet after a QC process we get the shittier ones??? Just a thought.

I have a 4wt. TFO finesse that I think casts dries great, it's definately a more traditional action than the newer stuff, but I can't complain. Can anyone here honestly say they have cast a bunch of rods blindfolded and can pick out Sage versus TFO of the same model (ie. One versus BVK). I'd like to see that done with about 50 anglers of all levels and see what shakes out.

It reminds me of a blind taste test they did for Grey Goose Vodka, an overwhelming majority of the people preferred the cheapy brand.

Also, pick TFO hands down if you have a buddy that is prone to stepping on your rods....right Sven???

Can anyone here honestly say they have cast a bunch of rods blindfolded and can pick out Sage versus TFO of the same model (ie. One versus BVK). I'd like to see that done with about 50 anglers of all levels and see what shakes out.

Me

I don't think this is a hard challenge. The differences between my 6 wgt bvk and my Sage method are extremely obvious, not subtle. If you can't tell the difference, definitely stay with TFO.

• Like 4

If you can't tell the difference, definitely stay with TFO.

LOL....well said.

For that matter,I test fired a Sage One at the expo last year,and it felt miles ahead of my FLi,which feels better than my BVK.

One vs BVK?? ....no contest.

After the expo I coveted and drooled over an 8wt One for the rest of the winter and spring,until my bud turned me onto/talked me into the Zenith....no regrets there wutsoever!

That said,I still wouldn't mind trying the One vs. Zenith head to head one of these days on a river,the 60' casting pond at expo isn't long enough to really get a feel for what those cannons are capable of,even after backing off the platform an extra 20'.

Very interesting group of opinions guys!

I'm sure I fall into the "couldn't tell the difference" category as I've been fly feeshing for a little over a year. I mostly nymph and streamer fish because I just can't ever seem to get the dry fly correct when there are snouts. As most of you say, the 9ft 6w BVK is a good rod for those who aren't proficient with casting, and chose to nymph or streamer. Perhaps one day I will make the step to the next level, but for now my setup sounds to be the best for me! Thanks for the input guys, ended up being a great discussion!!

Also, pick TFO hands down if you have a buddy that is prone to stepping on your rods....right Sven???

Yes, I still prefer to step on your TFO rod.. The sage warranty was too much of a hassle. :)

LOL....well said.

For that matter,I test fired a Sage One at the expo last year,and it felt miles ahead of my FLi,which feels better than my BVK.

After the expo I coveted and drooled over an 8wt One for the rest of the winter and spring,until my bud turned me onto/talked me into the Zenith....no regrets there wutsoever!

That said,I still wouldn't mind trying the One vs. Zenith head to head one of these days on a river,the 60' casting pond at expo isn't long enough to really get a feel for what those cannons are capable of,even after backing off the platform an extra 20'.

now your just bragging :)

LOL....well said.

You're comparing a One to an FLi....totally different action, of course there's going to be a difference. I own a 690 FLi and have cast the BVK and of course there's a huge difference, if someone handed me those two rods blindfolded, and told me one is a FLi and one is a BVK I'd be able to tell in a heartbeat. That's like saying I cast a 4wt bamboo rod and a 10wt spey and there was a big difference.

A BVK and One are supposedly similar action, and so is the Zenith, of course everyone is going to say 'if you can't tell the difference, you're an amateur', but I'm just saying that I'd like to actually see them put their money where their mouth is. I'm sure some will be able to pick them out, but I'd be willing to bet that a lot of 'chest puffers' would get it wrong. I guess my ultimate point is that is that there is a certain brand recognition factor/pavlovian response when someone picks up a Sage....they think it is better just because it says Sage because that's what they've heard.

now your just bragging :)

DOH....was hoping it didn't come out that way. :(

Jest sayn tho,was very impressed with the One when I tried it,ear to ear grin instantly,lol,but the expo pond is really just to small to stretch it out like I'd have liked to.That thing was a cannon,and just what I thought I was looking for in a SH 8wt.effortless to shoot for distance and the Konnetic blank is just stupid accurate for hitting bullseyes.

You're comparing a One to an FLi....totally different action, of course there's going to be a difference. I own a 690 FLi and have cast the BVK and of course there's a huge difference, if someone handed me those two rods blindfolded, and told me one is a FLi and one is a BVK I'd be able to tell in a heartbeat. That's like saying I cast a 4wt bamboo rod and a 10wt spey and there was a big difference.

A BVK and One are supposedly similar action, and so is the Zenith, of course everyone is going to say 'if you can't tell the difference, you're an amateur', but I'm just saying that I'd like to actually see them put their money where their mouth is. I'm sure some will be able to pick them out, but I'd be willing to bet that a lot of 'chest puffers' would get it wrong. I guess my ultimate point is that is that there is a certain brand recognition factor/pavlovian response when someone picks up a Sage....they think it is better just because it says Sage because that's what they've heard.

I'm not trying to compare apples to oranges,I'm saying I liked my FLi 5wt far better than BVK 5wt,and loved the One 8wt hands down over my FLi 8wt.....sometimes in life you really do get what you pay for.

The TFO BVK is a great rod for the price ($250 - $300).

I did a Bahamas bonefish trip and I bought an 8wt BVK.

The best thing about it was that before the trip, I went to the warehouse here in Calgary and bought

2 spare sections (top and 2nd for $25 each)

It was a good thing i did, because the 2nd section broke whilst playing a fish, and I had the replacement on hand.

Its not going to compare to a top of the line Sage or Loomis, but it's a decent rod for the price, and

excellent for travel.

You know I don't think people really shun TFO, its more like people graduate towards different brands and grow into new directions. Some have a rod or two that they use for everything, others employ specialty rods for dry fly, nymphs and streamers. Just depends what and how you enjoy the sport. Its all good.

• Like 1

My 2 cents in the never ending debate. I personally will hit 40 years with a flyrod in hand shortly. I've also started quite a few people in the great FF game. I have used extensively (10 plus days per rod) TFO, Sage, Loomis, Fenwick, Golden West ( on the J. Kennedy Fisher blank) and Hardy. TFO, Fenwick, Loomis and Golden West all have in excess of 150 days each, some of them nearly 600 days ( and I only use one rod a day, never taking a second one). Try the damn rod and see if it fits your casting stroke and budget. Don't worry about brand. One of my favorite rods is the TFO Series 1 in a 5 wt. My favorite salt rod is a Loomis Cross Current GLX. Opposite ends of the spectrum price wise and action wise, but for what I use them for, both excellent rods. I took my kids out to buy their first rods after a couple of in the park casting lessons. My daughter picked an Amundsen, my son a Redington. Even raw beginners like different rods. My daughter didn't even prefer the more expensive Amundsen rod. There are great rods for YOU in all budget ranges. Remember that the guys at Nile Creek and other good BC fly shops don't sell TFOs, so they certainly aren't going to boost them. I am convinced, having spent almost every fall for the last 8 years on Vancouver Island chasing coho, that most BC anglers have not even tried TFO rods. If you haven't cast it, you can't tell whether or not it's a good rod, and that means on the stream or lake, not just in a casting pond.

DOH....was hoping it didn't come out that way. :(

Jest sayn tho,was very impressed with the One when I tried it,ear to ear grin instantly,lol,but the expo pond is really just to small to stretch it out like I'd have liked to.That thing was a cannon,and just what I thought I was looking for in a SH 8wt.effortless to shoot for distance and the Konnetic blank is just stupid accurate for hitting bullseyes.

I know man, just jokes :)

I had a TFO once, 7-10 yrs ago, whatever their upper end was, 6 wt, seemed like decent rod for the money, good thing about the warranty because I broke it 3 times fishing and up till then I never broke rods that way. Sold it and I haven't broke a rod fishing since.

Maybe they've updated their scrim technology nowadays.

No, they carried TFO and Sage, don't think a shop exists that would carry all three.

I'm guessing if you looked into it,there's quite a few that carry all 3....a cpl right here in CGY if I'm not mistaken?

Kinda peculiar that a flyshop employee would endorse Hardys that he doesn't sell along with a less $$ TFO over a flagship model Sage??Personal opinion I guess?I'd say if nothing else this thread has demonstrated how personal and subjective rod preference,action/feel etc can be,ie; a slow action bamboo enthusiast might very well prefer a Walmart special over a One?

rods are like hockey sticks, golf clubs, mt bikes etc. seems like all companies have a low, mid and high range of products and for the most part all the stuff is good these days its just a matter of what you want. Callaway's or Pings? I don't believe ones better than the other, they're both good which one do YOU want, same goes for rods. You can spend as much or as little as you want, when you find the one that suits you, you'll love it regardless of the name. I'll be honest, I think im going to take a rod building course, catching a fish on your fly is one thing, the thought of catching a fish on a rod that i built myself excites me. I fish Sage GLoomis and TFO rods, I never consider one being better than the other.

I'm guessing if you looked into it,there's quite a few that carry all 3....a cpl right here in CGY if I'm not mistaken?

Kinda peculiar that a flyshop employee would endorse Hardys that he doesn't sell along with a less $$ TFO over a flagship model Sage??Personal opinion I guess?I'd say if nothing else this thread has demonstrated how personal and subjective rod preference,action/feel etc can be,ie; a slow action bamboo enthusiast might very well prefer a Walmart special over a One?

I'm highly skeptical that a shop employee ranked a rod that they did not carry above two they did.

My opinion is, that yes they have a good warranty. But you are definitely going to be using it. the number of rod breakages they have is insane.