Fly Fusion Forums

"cutty Hut".....2014

A lot of you are familiar with the "Cutty Hut". It is a trailer that I have had situated at Racehorse Creek Provincial Recreation Area seasonally for the last 4 years. Many of the forum members have stayed there and many have dropped in. In the last three years Alberta Parks have attempted to enforce the 16 day maximum stay and up until last year they turned a blind eye and let me stay there for the season. Last season Alberta Parks enforced the maximum stay and I had to move out for 24 hours every 16 days. I wrote a letter to Alberta Parks and explained my personal situation and I got a quick reply. The Alberta Parks representative sent me an awesome letter and we also discussed the situation amicably on the phone. Alberta Parks is competing directly with random campers. There is also a maximum stay of 14 days for random campers but they are under the jurisdiction of Sustainable Resources (Forestry) and they don't have the manpower to enforce this regulation so they set up seasonally...for free!

This year Alberta Parks have set aside 15 campsites at Dutch Creek Provincial Recreation Area for "Seasonal" camping. I appreciate the fact that they have agreed to do this and it has opened the door for seasonal camping in Provincial Recreation areas. They will have regulations for seasonal campers , such as no permanent structures and proper disposal of grey water etc. and if all goes well they will open up seasonal campsites at other PRA's ie. Racehorse Creek in the future. The "Cutty Hut" will now be moving up the road to Dutch Creek for the upcoming season. I have an open invitation to you all to stop by. Last year I met a bunch of you and it was awesome. You are welcome at my fire....anytime!!

You are all welcome to join my Facebook group "Friends of the Cutty Hut"

Al Hunter

• Like 3

Ya...I'm glad Alberta Parks found a solution to the problem, instead of sticking to the Parks Act and limiting stays to 16 days.. At least it's a step in the right direction. Hopefully the seasonal campers will comply with the regulations and there are no problems or complaints. Moving the trailer every few weeks was a huge pain. I'm looking forward to seeing everybody.

Please forgive me, I appreciate the comments big time but it is difficult for me to know who you all are from your "avatar" name (except for Taco!) I am not sure if we have met before or not. If you could PM me with your real name and if and where we have met I could put a face to you all. If we haven't met I look forward to it, You know where I will be!!

• 3 weeks later...

Seem's kinda pricey!! If the frame is sound and you are at all DIY inclined you could have fun with that.

The "Cutty Hut" is essentially a tent with walls, Never use the stove, sink. bathroom or fridge...I've never plugged it in or filled it with water. I only use the furnace when it's really effin cold. My battery for lights lasts 4 months as I rarely have them on....like I've said before....It's all about who is there, a warm campfire and a stocked cooler!!!

Guest bigdirty

Seem's kinda pricey!! If the frame is sound and you are at all DIY inclined you could have fun with that.

The "Cutty Hut" is essentially a tent with walls, Never use the stove, sink. bathroom or fridge...I've never plugged it in or filled it with water. I only use the furnace when it's really effin cold. My battery for lights lasts 4 months as I rarely have them on....like I've said before....It's all about who is there, a warm campfire and a stocked cooler!!!

I have no intentions myself haha :) When i was driving by and saw the signs i shouted, out loud, "FREE" and instantly thought of what you do with the cutty hut. It was a good moment.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...