Fly Fusion Forums

Pro Staff

Hello All,

Happy New Year to everyone.

Can someone please explain how a Pro Staffer is valuable/needed buy a company? I can see how a guide can push a product by having all their gear on his boat for the clients to use but I also notice a lot of "Pro Staff" that are not guides.

relationships and facebook are both responsible for making pro-staffers lately. If you have buddy that is the distributor for XYZ and he has budget, good chance you are getting the deals. If you have 3000 FB friends you have large exposure to typically the target market of said company.

Don't be advertising this info your friend can loose his pro deal! Also most companies track their pro deal gear ( with serial #'s), so if you ever send it in for warrantee work and you are not the pro staffer, there goes his gig!!

My friend is a pro staffer for a certain company. His hook up is being friends with the Distributor for the company. Rods are about 75% off retail, all depends on what company. I'm in the process of getting a new streamer rod off of him and a fancy new reel. Retail the setup would have cost me close to 1000$.

X2

I was on the House of Hardy Pro Staff and on the dark side of Rapala's Pro Staff for a while. I did guide for many years but I also had the technical knowledge of the equipment that I was prostaff for. I would have to commit to certain amount of trade shows to work with the Sales rep for the product and also had to represent the product at different shops when requested.

For my time, I would earn credit for merchandise and also receive a pro staff discount. This discount was for my personal purchases only unless I would ask permission to purchase a gift for family or friend. If it was ever found out that I was abusing my price privileges by supplying friends instead of sending them to the shops who are stocking the product I would lose my position as a pro staffer and my discounts.

So while you may find it amusing reading Uberfly's comments. If you had mentioned your friends name and product in your post. You are putting your friend at risk for losing his privileges. I know I had to sign an agreement stating my commitments and responsibilities. Even on the guide forms for product there is a disclaimer that the guide is not purchasing the product at their discounts for resale.

• Like 4

X2 I was on the House of Hardy Pro Staff and on the dark side of Rapala's Pro Staff for a while. I did guide for many years but I also had the technical knowledge of the equipment that I was prostaff for. I would have to commit to certain amount of trade shows to work with the Sales rep for the product and also had to represent the product at different shops when requested. For my time, I would earn credit for merchandise and also receive a pro staff discount. This discount was for my personal purchases only unless I would ask permission to purchase a gift for family or friend. If it was ever found out that I was abusing my price privileges by supplying friends instead of sending them to the shops who are stocking the product I would lose my position as a pro staffer and my discounts. So while you may find it amusing reading Uberfly's comments. If you had mentioned your friends name and product in your post. You are putting your friend at risk for losing his privileges. I know I had to sign an agreement stating my commitments and responsibilities. Even on the guide forms for product there is a disclaimer that the guide is not purchasing the product at their discounts for resale.

yep

Seems like some companys are pretty picky with who they have as Pro Staff. Hardy/Greys seems to like there pro staffers to be long time fly fishers and certified casters/instructors. Some other companys just seem to just hand em out to anyone.

I would much rather spend my money on the stuff in the hands of the hardcore folk and not the social media stars or friends of friends.

You're on the funny guy list as well bigbowtrout.

and you're in lala land.

Im Currently staffed under 2 companies. Social Media what i have to thank for these opportunities. Facebook, Instagram and Twitter now play a huge role in the fishing and fly fishing media, if you can produce media that followers/fans/friends like, you then have a huge advertising audience that companies can use you for.

One company im loyal too and try to follow every little one of their rules as best i can (some rules are silly). The other is a company thats technically part of a group of 3 companies. But i deal with the 2nd company for their lines (you can figure this one out very quickly if you know your brands). The 2nd one is a lot more lenient and they're just happy i use and promote their products/lines, and they love that. The nice thing about promoting for them, is that im technically part of the other 2 companies as well. Problem with all this, is that the first company will not allow me to post any media with any other rod/reel by other makers. But i have access to the deals for the rods and reels...I cant use the rods and reels because of my deal with the first company. BUT i have personally asked the second company about purchasing stuff for others on their discount and to my surprise, they are super laid back about it so long as i dont go crazy and do it for personal gain, they're still just stoked that i use their lines. From all this, i still highly recommend the other two brands for rods and reels to anyone looking into them. They're a great company and have nothing but good things to say about them.

All this being said, i love both companies i do business with, and have nothing but nice things to say about them.

Sneak

Hello All,

Happy New Year to everyone.

Can someone please explain how a Pro Staffer is valuable/needed buy a company? I can see how a guide can push a product by having all their gear on his boat for the clients to use but I also notice a lot of "Pro Staff" that are not guides.

I'm a Pro Staffer for Trojan Magnum. When it comes to properly testing the product for triple-threat performance – unmatched protection, unmatched durability, and unmatched comfort, I'm invaluable to the company due to my unique ability and size. Some people fit the bill and some don't.

• Like 7

I'm a Pro Staffer for Trojan Magnum. When it comes to properly testing the product for triple-threat performance – unmatched protection, unmatched durability, and unmatched comfort, I'm invaluable to the company due to my unique ability and size. Some people fit the bill and some don't.

Well, this one is the early running for post of the year so far.

lol :clapping:

I'm a Pro Staffer for Trojan Magnum. When it comes to properly testing the product for triple-threat performance – unmatched protection, unmatched durability, and unmatched comfort, I'm invaluable to the company due to my unique ability and size. Some people fit in Bill and some don't.

Fixed. :angel:smail:

• Like 2