Fly Fusion Forums

Looking To Buy A New Rod/reel For Next Season

I am going to start saving for a new set up for next year. I fish exclusively on SW Alberta mountain streams. I currently use a 5wt/9' G Loomis Streamdance with a Ross Evolution reel but I would like to get a lighter set up for those rare non windy days. Any suggestions for length, weight, make, model of rod and a matching reel would be appreciated. Thanks all for your input.

Helios 2 4 weight, medium action...8 to 8'6" footer...

Lamson Litespeed (or similar) to match...

I have the helios 3 weight, and it is by far my favorite rod for cutty fishing on streams around your cutty hut. The 4 is a little nicer if you're fishing the Gap, and the ever present Nate shows his ugly head.

I just recently bought a used St. Croix Legend 4wt 7'6" rod. I got it pretty late in the season so didn't get the chance to use yet but I assembled it and I like the way it feels so far.

I have a Galvan torque reel on my 6wt and I imagine I will put a Galvan 4wt reel on this rod soon.

Either this: http://www.galvanflyreels.com/brookie_reels.html or http://www.galvanflyreels.com/torque_reels.html

Edited by Muffin

This winter I think that I am going to build up a Steffen 8' 3/4 glass rod:) I have never fished glass, however the rod has a cult following with fiberglass gurus. I will be pairing mine with a Islander LA IR3 (which I love), however I would probably pair with with a new hardy bougle which rumor has it will be made once again in England:)

I have to second the Helios 4 wt with a Lamson Lightspeed. I use a Helios 6 wt. the Lamson Lightspeed matches up with the rod perfectly. I seldom fish the smaller streams but I think a 4 wt. is just the ticket. You would be more than welcome to take my six weight out for the day.

I really enjoyed fishing the 9' 5wt Snowbee Geo nano rod this summer, matched with the Geo reel it was a really nice set up. Light in hand, plenty of power/backbone, and super accurate. Great for the Upper Oldman area. I grabbed this as a demo rod from the shop thinking I'd get more time on the Bow than I did, ended up fishing small streams all summer but still really enjoyed the combo. I know Courtney was fishing pinks off the beach with it matched up with a 300gr switch line so more than enough power for most situations we'd run into here.

I do have it here as a demo rod if anyone wants to give it a try.

999193_10151539879271816_1795368371_n.jp

Colin

I have a Winston Passport 4 weight rod (they come in 8, 81/2 or 9 foot). The Passport is an amazing rod that is is actually cheap and casts like the high end Winstons. The 4 weight is great for SW AB streams, which is where I like to fish. At about $225 this rod is the best bang for your buck and performs like much more expensiive flyrods, in my opinion. I love it and it has had great reviews.

I have the Passport coupled with a Hardy large arbor DD4000 reel. Lightweight and well balanced with the rod. Holds a fair bit of backing and coupled with a drag that can stop a submarine (but not on 5x tippet :), good for big fish or small .

• Like 2