Fly Fusion Forums

Train Cars Possibly Sinking Into Bow River

Watching this on global news. Nothing has spilled as yet but the potential is huge, these are massive diesel cars.

-----------

CALGARY – Calgary Police, EMS and fire crews are investigating the structural failure of the Bonnybrook train bridge over the Bow River.

Officials say the bridge in Ogden is compromised and failing, and warn it is in danger of collapsing.

There are five train cars on the bridge, and there are fears that the structural damage could cause it to fall into the water – or that its cargo could leak.

-----------------

If this spill happens they could not contain it by booms, water is too high.

didnt see this post.. posted similar in another area. not sure if I'm going to cry passout or puke! would take a flood any year over this. only positive I can see is the high flows possibly helping if the doom happens. I hope cp and the city actually have a plan for this. not sure if bumping dragging or hoisting is the plan. in hitching might cause the tail end to rock back and collapse forsure? this is totally insane!!!

If the rail cars are not secured and go into the Bow River this would be an environmental disaster to the river’s ecosystem!!! My rough estimation is that 6 rail cars full of diesel or jet fuel carry more than 30,000 gallons each for a total of almost 200,000 gallons or 750,000 litres. It will be interesting to see who was the bridge inspector used by CP Rail.

They must move quickly to get those cars away from the river!

Also Bonnybrook Sewage Plant is continuing to release raw sewage into the Bow River until they can get things back to normal.

i hope the engineer who inspected this bridge and gave it the A-OK is sweating bullets right now. This guy will most likely get fined and lose his license. Wonder where he got his credentials from. mickey mouse university.

u would think common sense would tell you that water makes wood mushy I'm pretty sure railway ties are used in lots of those bridges and why woul they not try non hazardous material? I get having it in the end of the train just seems so odd this city can catch a break! could be the beginning of the end for some of our career and people's lives... the damage will e unreal so many homes below...

How was this bridge protected during the peak? Often when flooding is expected, railways place loaded cars of non toxic material to maintain weight on the bridge making it more stable to the water pressure. Then after the water goes down testing with empty rail cars move across the bridge while inspections are taking place. There are a lot of questions to be asked.

Retired CPR employee

How was this bridge protected during the peak? Often when flooding is expected, railways place loaded cars of non toxic material to maintain weight on the bridge making it more stable to the water pressure. Then after the water goes down testing with empty rail cars move across the bridge while inspections are taking place. There are a lot of questions to be asked.

Retired CPR employee

I remember seeing pictures of a train on this bridge (or at least i think it was this bridge) during the flood.

I saw what I think may be the same picture (two engines and some cars behind them) and to me it looked like the tracks coming south from Edmonton that cross the Bow by where Nose Creek comes in. I did not see this particular bridge myself in any of the flooding coverage.

"According to Uzeloc, there are six cars on the bridge - one is an empty crude oil tank, and five others are a flammable liquid similar to diesel."

I think they're trying to mitigate fear a bit, but that sure sounds like Jet Fuel to me

The globe and mail reports "Five of those six are carrying petroleum distillate, a type of diluent used to water down oil sands bitumen for shipment. It’s also used as a solvent in metal polishes, paint thinner, oil-based stains and paint, the rail company said." I feel sick.