Fly Fusion Forums

New Boat - Need Advice - Heckuva Dilemma

Hi guys:

Well, the inflatable Metzler dad and I use is reaching the end of its lifespan. He bought it in 1988 or so, I reckon the boat is about 25 years old. Good times, good memories.

But we're looking to replace it, and we're really faced with weighing a lot of pros and cons with different models and styles.

Dad is getting older and we'd like a slightly bigger boat than the 11' that we owned. Something a little more comfortable.

I suppose the bottom line that we're facing is that no one boat really suits all the fishing we like to do. I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too, complete with the icing and cherry on top.

To summarize:

1) We do a lot of lake fishing and so it seems natural to go to a 14' jon boat style or pram. Could be used to float some rivers, like class 1 and 2 water (yes?). But some of the rivers we are fishing don't have boat launches, it was nice to carry the smaller inflatable. I think we're prepared to let that issue go in terms of picking northern rivers without a formal boat launch.

2) The inflatable boat was nice, but you don't have (or please correct me if I am wrong) the option to add a lot of options like double anchoring, swivel seats, fish finder etc. Plus, inflatables are terrible for motoring long distances like on Maligne. But a canoe is out of the question, so I guess we'll rent for our trips to Maligne.

3) A drift boat (hyde or clackacraft) is nice, and I've seen guys use them on lakes too. Plus they're nice for rivers (that have decent boat launches). I know its usually one guy rowing and 2 guys fishing; can 3 guys fish out of the boat on stillwaters? Are they really well suited for stillwaters?

Random thoughts:

1) Dad and I are pretty much done assembling and dis-assembling an inflatable each time we fish; so either way, we're looking to trailer this boat, and we can just launch and go when we get to the lake.

2) A good stillwater boat is the priority over flowing waters.

3) And yet, Dad and I are looking to float more rivers, instead of pounding creeks: walking distances is slowly becoming an issue for him (he's in terrific shape, plays hockey 3x a week, but he did have a mild heart attack last year). I guess what I am saying is that if this boat could be used as double duty to float rivers, that would be great. But not a total deal breaker.

4) The boat needs to comfortable sitting and standing.

5) Would like the boat to feature rich with bells and whistles like the double anchoring, rod holders, fish finder, swivel seats, etc.

6) Boat does need to be row-able; my community lake has a total ban on motors.

I think I'm leaning towards the jon boat or the classic drift boat. I think the drift boat might win if you could mod it to be used - mostly - for stillwater fishing, and yet its ready to go to float the Bow, Red Deer, Oldman, etc. And to piggyback on that thought, if he and I are inclined to float any rivers without a boat launch, and we absolutely need to carry it, we do still have the old inflatable.

Anyways, wish I could think of a boat that could do everything, but AB has too much variety to pick the perfect all-round boat that covers everything. Its a good dilemma.

Thoughts?

Smitty

I run a scott boat pgs 16 with a 15 hp short leg . That might tick off a few of the boxes you're looking for.

P5210541.jpg
P5210538.jpg

http://www.scottboat.com

(it's sort of like a canadian made towee. http://toweemarine.com/rivermaster.html)

Pros:

- it's light, light enough to man handle (under 200 hundred pounds)

- extremely stable

- draws very little water (4 inches loaded)

- can carry a load (705kg)

- can be outfitted in many ways

- can be rowed or motored or poled

- fairly inexpensive

-ships from ontario, so shipping cost isn't massive (I had mine shipped to the nearest dealer which is in Jasper)

Cons:

- a little bit of chop and it's rougher than hell

- a lot of chop and you're on shore

- i haven't devised a rowing system that i am completely happy with yet. (the towee boats have an accessory rowing frame that is the cats ass and I am looking at getting something similar fabbed up. http://toweemarine.com/accessories.html)

might be something to look at.

• Like 1

Smitty,

First of all great post. As a boat owner I can share in your concerns and I would think most boat owners would agree in your assessments.

You hit the nail on the head when you stated there is no perfect boat, that being said one thing really stuck out to me.

Rivers.

I would take a drifter, nothing except a two man inflatable is going to be as comfortable to fish out, or maneuver. Get a high pedestal front seat and they are easy to cast from while seated.

On lakes the only draw back is the lack of speed. The way I view it a drifter can be very comfy on a lake, can be double anchored, three guys can fish, some can have a 9.9 long leg mounted to them.

Tough choice.

Drift boats are not only hateful on lakes, but get a good wind and they're downright stupid. Have had a friend sink one at Badger in a big squall that came out of no where. Luckily they were able to retrieve it later.

I've rowed my drifter on plenty of lakes, and it is truely not what theyre built for. And 3 guys fishing out of them in lake is going to be hell to row, as well as not fun to cast out of (fly casting anyway). If you're looking for a lake boat, look elsewhere. They're built for rivers.

I have a Hyde Pro High side. While I love the boat for the river, drift boats with their flat bottom and no keel aren't really meant for a lake especially if it gets windy....I think you would be disappointed it you do a lot of lake fishing.

Mike, although it doesn't meet all of your criteria( swivel seats) Zodiac does make a model of boat with a high pressure inflatable floor. It does not require assembly as you simply inflate it with the same pump you use for the boat. I have sat in one and it is dead simple to inflate and use. Another plus is that it is lighter than the same size boat with floor boards. As far as seating goes, there are several options. You can glue darn near any seat bracket and put bench style seats across. I would imagine a swivel seat could be attached to that. There are several options for such things as rod holders and fish finders etc. I have seen a few zodiacs on KIJIJI lately

The down side is going to be cost. Zodiacs don't come cheap but the quality is there. In my opinion, they are worth it. Send me a PM if your interested in how much mine cost.

Murray

Get 2 boats,done.

Or Have a look at a Rapid Robert,good for rivers and lakes.But as you said, not perfect.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=rapid+robert+drift+boat&rlz=1T4ACAW_enCA358CA360&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=cnO-Uf-xA4iNyAGUw4CwBQ&ved=0CC8QsAQ&biw=911&bih=351

Or if you don't want to build then this would be a good choice.

http://www.princecraft.com/aluminum-boat/products/Fishing-Boats/2013/Utilities.aspx

Since no boat does all get one that's good at Stillwater,river floating still works and light enough you can drag around.

I use my hyde all the time in lakes and love it. Fish in the wind all the time same as any other boat really. Myself I usually find a spot to anchor and cast. Sure if your trolling get something else.

• Like 1

Have spent many many hours in a scott on Maligne (home of all things freighter), it's a great boat but when it came to replacing my 16' catraft (horrible on lakes) with something that would do it all I purchased a Hyde low pro. It now on it third season on Maligne and I have to say it as good as a scott, borrowed a buddies Minkotta 101 to see how it would compare to the 18' scott rigged with the same motor. Was at 5 mile a good 10 minute faster than the scott. Checked our battries for power used and both were about the same. I have to admit it kind of slappy in any form of chop but but not much worse than a jon boat. Like GrnDrake I do not troll while fishing and the stabilty and able to stand up and cast is the biggest advange over any freighter. Good luck finding your perfect boat.

Ray

Hi guys,

Does anyone fish out of an Aire Super puma or PAC 1400 etc?

I'm thinking that it would suit me as I dont have a 4wd to launch a drift boat.
I'd probably keep it inflated on a flat bed trailer and carry it down to the water when.

I can't get the car close enough.

Would like to get some opinions on their fishability, especially with the rowing frame, and where in Calgary I could get a look at one.

post-4197-0-44036200-1371673357_thumb.jpg

cheers
Sean

There's quite a number of folks who do not use a 4wd for a drift boat. Lots of Ford Caravans, etc towing them.

I've even seen the odd Honda Civic and VW Golf towing them...

That raft weighs about the same as a clacka 15LP (according to both sites specs unloaded, dry, etc).. Easier to throw in wherever theres not a boat launch if you have a few guys with you, but really you're going to be towing around the same amount of weight

• Like 1

A raft with a rowing frame is not as easy to row as a drift boat (doesn't track as easily and takes more effort to manouver), not as easy to stand up and cast (even with a casting platform) and will get tossed around easily in the wind (not sure there is a big difference compared to a high side driftboat). Stores easier as you can just deflate & roll and break down the frame. Obviously a raft is better in class III rapids and greater (with an experienced operator) as that's a raft's primary purpose. Drift Boat is specific to fishing, raft is not, but does the job "OK". That being said, if I was given one or found one at a decent price I would probaly get it! Best to consider a quality manufacture (Aire) as opposed to a cheapo (Saturn). Materials and care will influence longevity. A good quality raft used specifically for fishing that is well taken care of can last up to 15 years (A raft used for White Water rafting, not as long - Commercial operators rotate their rafts every few years - after numerous repairs).

A fishing buddy has access to one and we take it out quite often, I have also been a WW rafting guide in Idaho. Consider something at least 12'.

P

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi guys

Because of the high waves caused by the winds you want nothing smaller than a 14 footer that takes a long shaft motor for the lakes. Nothing will scare the hell out of you more than takeing a wave over the sturn in a wind storm. Boats that take a short shaft motor are a no no. Jon boats are nice for the river but I find too shallow for the bigger lakes in a wind storm. I like my lake boats to have a depth of at least 30 inches so as to take the waves. You also want a underslung trailer for ease of loading and unloading. More expensive but worth every penny. Thats my opinion. I'm 70 and have had a wack of boats. I'm presently running a 15 footer with a 25 on it for the lakes. I and my fishing partner can walk around in it no problem. It is all open like a car topper. Look at the bigger lunds. Get the bare bones type of boat to save on weight and money. All you want in it is a floor and permanently mounted seats.