Fly Fusion Forums

The Lahontan Trout Story

You imagine fighting a fish that weighs 20 lb standing on a ladder? Don't know how many of those trout are around yet, but they must not be catch and release only. The last page has a bunch of fish pictures, dated last year, of some really big fish.

I don't get the "extinct for 50 years" thing. I remember, and I do have on tape somewhere, an episode of Fishing The West with Larry Schoenborn. It would have been from the 80s and they were at Pyramid Lake catching these things. Now I have to dig through my old VHS collection and find this episode.

What was thought to be extinct was the Pyramid Lake strain of Lahontan Cutthroat Trout.

Cool story and fish, if I ever catch up to my ass and find some time on my hands at the right time of year, I may hafta take a drive with a ladder strapped to the roof of my truck. I could just see it now at the Coutts crossing, But Sir I'm just goin' down to fish!

There are a number of lakes in the eastern parts of Alberta where these cuts. would work.

Certainly increase the angling opportunities. Tyrell Lake south of Lethbridge was an example SRD used.

Many other alkaline lakes are around.

Just think - going east to catch cuts. over 5 lbs.

Don

• Like 1

MMAX - you & I recall the same episode @ Pyramid L. The wind was howling in that episode and they were bobbing in float tubes like corks but hammering fish like crazy. I miss that show, so well shot. And any show that had Bull on it worked for me (I think that was the Jackson Hole episode).

And about the fight.... we literally just got back from fishing for them again (see blog in a couple of days) and the two points that stick out are that they fight poorly. Very poorly. I think grandma twitched harder in her sleep. The other... you can run up and down the beach, pounding them on the head with bobbers and flies and they won't spook easily. If they do, just walk with the pod 10 m and they'll be right back on the shoreline drop off. Perhaps the most user-friendly sight-fishing fish known, and that's why we do it. :)

But they are pretty and it was good to get away. +28C on Friday. Drove home last night and @ 3am had to slalom through jack knifed semis spun out on the K-Ctry hill on the #1. Good old Alberta!

But you don't have to drive that far to catch lahontans. The monsters at Pyramid, sure, but there are a few places to poke around much closer to home with Lahontan cutts in the 3 - 8 lb range. And I even got home without the Lyme disease and a summer of antibiotics this time.

And Don's suggestion would be gold if it could work.

• Like 1

My avatar is a Pyrimid Lake trout and have fished it twice. Get a cheap flight to Reno and drive 45 min north east and try it for yourselves. I think they have a spring closure right now but they stack up in March which is the best time to fish them. I fished them in January and October and caught fish without a ladder if you find a spot that drops off fast enough (Spider Point). They have a replica of the world record in the Cabelas in Reno which is close to a Girard from the Koot. Super fun chasing these trout....