Fly Fusion Forums

Any Suggestions On Attaching/ Carrying Net?

Hire a caddy. He/she* can carry your net, extra rods strung up with various flies (nymph rigs, dry flies, streamers, etc.), backpack with lunch & anything else you need; he/she can also be your cameraperson.

That would be awesome...

* Note: he/she simply means "he or she", not that you caddy should have both male & female sexual characteristics.

Of course it could be a good thing. "He" could carry you out of the wilderness if you broke your leg. "She" could make you a sandwich...

Bob,

Wear your hip pack over the shoulder (like a courier bag) with the waist buckle around your waist, and you should still be able to attach your net with a magnetic keeper to your neck strap with a little adjustment...

• Like 1

Guest Grinr

Just stuff it in between tha waist pack and yourself

That's pretty much what I do,stuff the handle between my back and my wading belt with the lanyard attached to the belt because it WILL fall out as you're walking once in awile.

I have about five feet of stretchy rope, double it back, tied a knot so it's like a big loop. And bought a magnetic net keeper kit and attached the key ring loop to the rope.

I sling it over my shoulder separate from any pack and when i walk it hangs at about my waist. So when I reach for it...its right there and has enough of the elastic stretchy cord from the "net keeper kit" to be able to hand the net off if wanted.

Unfortunately with a descent size net attached , when i walk i merely reach left or right to hold the net in one hand (supported by the ropes) only to keep the magnets from pulling apart when it snags any branches.

And when i get to wherever I'm going I shed the pack and have only the net slung over a shoulder via the rope.

If you choose to go for a magnetic net holder. Be sure to check and see that the connections on the little stretchy cord has rubber ties(holders) and not the plastic ones they first used. As they will become brittle in chilly weather and are also terribly weak (these are the little "chokers" used on the ends of the cord to attach the magnets to)

And no, you can not trust the magnetic net holders alone...nope! I don't and have lost a net that way. Branches, twigs you name it.. grabbers always seen to be everywhere.

Best of luck figuring out your set-up!!

Best be watchin' that bungee cord setup, net gets hung up in the bush when you ain't payin' attention and you'll have a net bouncin' off your noodle at near lightspeed.

• Like 1

Do you really need a net? It seems like a pain in the butt to me to lug one around unless you are in a boat.

Not saying its right or wrong but i almost never carry a net. Unless its some nasty drop off bank and deep to the edge or high water conditions I seem to make do just fine with no net.

Head up, skid em in, quick grab , pop the hook and done.

And i have no clue how to attach a net to a fanny pack.\

Good description on the bungee head trauma taco, I can just see myself coming too after a hook stretch snap crack to the noggin.

Magnetic netholders are pretty strong. Only if it catches in bushes or branches, will it release the net. However, you should have a net retriever (or just a simple cord) attached to the hook on the end of the handle (and to your fanny packs belt or wader's belt) or like here (but to the fanny pack).

Guest Grinr

Do you really need a net? It seems like a pain in the butt to me to lug one around unless you are in a boat.

Don't really "need" a net,esp. if I'm on a killing spree(catching brookies for the pan etc.)I'll just swing'em up onto the bank or beach'em......but for the majority of my fishn which is C&R,I find I can land fish alot faster and gentler with a net.I think (for me at least)there's alot of benefits to using a net.

-Less time playing(exhausting) the fish/faster recovery.

-I'm not dropping the slippery lil bass turds or having them flop around on rocks.

-I often never touch the fish at all to remove hook and let it recover being held in the net if it's not too big of a fish.

-My net bag is the fine mesh type that I also use quite alot for scooping bugs out of the air and water.

-Tied off to my belt and dangling in a cold stream,it chills warm beer while I wade. ;)

• Like 3

I would suggest that you flip the net around (opposite the web photos that is illustrated in the link you provided) that will lessen the chance of hooking a branch/twig. Plus the handle is in a better position for you to grab!

tn.jpg

wk6.jpg

Magnetic netholders are pretty strong. Only if it catches in bushes or branches, will it release the net. However, you should have a net retriever (or just a simple cord) attached to the hook on the end of the handle (and to your fanny packs belt or wader's belt) or like here (but to the fanny pack).

That was the first photo of the net retriever I have found. :) Indeed, I carry my net this way. Much easier to reach. You can make a net retriever from old telephone cable if they do not have them.

I would suggest that you flip the net around (opposite the web photos that is illustrated in the link you provided) that will lessen the chance of hooking a branch/twig. Plus the handle is in a better position for you to grab!

tn.jpg

wk6.jpg

Don't really "need" a net,esp. if I'm on a killing spree(catching brookies for the pan etc.)I'll just swing'em up onto the bank or beach'em......but for the majority of my fishn which is C&R,I find I can land fish alot faster and gentler with a net.I think (for me at least)there's alot of benefits to using a net.

-Less time playing(exhausting) the fish/faster recovery.

-I'm not dropping the slippery lil bass turds or having them flop around on rocks.

-I often never touch the fish at all to remove hook and let it recover being held in the net if it's not too big of a fish.

-My net bag is the fine mesh type that I also use quite alot for scooping bugs out of the air and water.

-Tied off to my belt and dangling in a cold stream,it chills warm beer while I wade. ;)

I just stand my ground when I fight a fish, don't need to go to shore. Put the boots to the fish, palm the reel (Bow fish are rarely over 3lb, most under). Reel them in, get their head up out of the water and waterski them to your leg/hand in your personal eddy. Grab the fish or hook and twist the hook out. Usually takes less than 2 minutes (no exhaustion issues). No slime loss/abrasion lost to net, standing in 12"+ of water (no drop worries). None of my buddies use nets. I guess we are just in a hurry to catch the next one.

The only time we use nets are for fishing tiny dries with fine tippets or fish over 5lb (not really an issue in the Bow).

With the growing number of anglers on the Bow there is going to be more handling/skin issues on the fish. It will be interesting to see if the fish end up with lots of sores like on the Madison.

• Like 1