Fly Fusion Forums

New Fly Line Sharkskin

I recently switched my SA GPX taper line for a SA Sharkskin GPX taper.

Today i fished with it and WOW i should have used this line earlier.

The only negative is the sound it makes through the guides and the gary (minus the r) colors they come in.

The positives are it picks up nicely off the water and i can cast with it much smoother.

Anyone else use these sharkskin lines? What do you think?

I picked up some up last summer and fell in love with it right away. Eventually you will get used to hearing the line sing. I read somewhere that because of the texture of the line apparently the "scales" will wear out your guides quicker than a normal line would. I don't know if there is any truth to that.

I switched most of my lines from Rio Golds to SA Mastery Textured, which is a toned down version of Sharkskin. Not as loud, expensive or hard on your rod guides and hands. Love it! Super slick, floats nice, doesnt coil, these lines dominate. I am sure i'd like the full on Sharkskin as well though.

If you're getting one for a really stiff and fast rod, get the GPX taper as its a half line heavier. If you love the action your rod has with a regular line then get the Trout taper.

I've only really seen these in two colors, bright green, which is high vis and may help in nymphing, and a stealthy tan...

I've used about every fly line out there from the big manufacturers (Rio, Airflo, SA, Orvis), and kept ending back up at the Sharkskin as the go to. However, I have to say that the new Orvis 3D (which is made by SA anyway, so really it's a sharkskin with a different taper) may well be the most versatile and best line i've ever had.

I've had the SA sharkskin on my helios for two seasons. (hetero-green). Haven't seen anything that I would call abnormal wear in the guides or anything like that. Casts and floats very well. Shoots amazingly well, even on the short cast. I don't particularly like the textured feel in my hand but I have gotten used to it over time. Is a ball of fun shooting a long cast, when you have a barren open shore, and tons of room for some long double hauling, and you get everything dialed in, it is impressive what you can do with it. Only complaints are that it is harder to clean, and the noise just doesn't jive well with a silent evening conditions. I would be inclined to try one of the toned down versions next time.

I have the sharkskin on my 6 weight. It does cast like a dream, and I especially love it paired with a fast action rod. I've had a number of boat companions jokingly complain about the line noise. I still find it annoying sometimes too. Overall though its a great line.

Little off topic from the original post, when you say clean your fly lines how do you go about that?

You can clean them by soaking them in a warm water and mild dish soap mixture. I will then pull the line through a soft cloth and then let the line dry. Apply some fly line dressing according to the instructions on the package and your good to go. It's a great thing to do on days like today:)

I actually dont think you're supposed to clean textured lines the same as the smooth Rio lines. SA sells a pad, maybe a bit like scotchbrite ( a 3m product!) that you run the line through. The friction releases mini silicone balls from the line and makes it slick again...

Soaking it in soapy water wouldnt hurt though.

• Like 1

You can clean them by soaking them in a warm water and mild dish soap mixture. I will then pull the line through a soft cloth and then let the line dry. Apply some fly line dressing according to the instructions on the package and your good to go. It's a great thing to do on days like today:)

When he says mild, it means MILD. Dish soap is a degreaser and if mixed too strong will dry out your line making it prone to cracks. If you can, use even a bar of soap mixed lightly with water.