Fly Fusion Forums

Orvis Rod Return

So I sent my Helios off today finally back to Orvis as I broke it at the end of summer. This is now two years in a row that I have broken this rod. The summer before I broke it for the first time on a snag on a rock in the Highwood. Sent it in and they sent me a new rod. Then this past summer I broke the new one about 20 yards from the first time. I could not believe this happened again. The first time I put pressure on the rod when it broke but this last time it broke almost as soon as it got snagged.

Anyone else have this problem with this rod? I don't want this to turn into a discussion on what brand of rod is better or warranty return issues, just curious if anyone else has had issues with this rod. I am just frustrated that I had the low end Clearwater for many years with no issues and then treat myself to the top end rod and end up breaking it twice. I don't believe I do anything out of the ordinary on how I treat this rod.

Sorry to hear that. I've certainly broken a Helios but not because of the rod's build - but because of me. I've stepped on one while filming on day #2 on last year's trip to NZ (nothing like doing that on day 2 of 3 months), then sheered the tip of another with a streamer. Otherwise, have been using the mid flex 4, 9 foot since it came out. Have landed some very large trout at Fortress, in MB and in NZ, mistreated (I can't tell you how many rocks have hit the rods) and really worked the shnautz out of the 4s with huge streamers and heavy situations, but other than those two events, no issue whatsoever. We do fish a bit too. I have had a few age spots occur in the rod: places where I've obviously dropped or fallen with the rods and whacked them. Over time the finish has worn in those spots.

Have the two 4 wts, a 5, and a 6 Helios and all have been great.The 5 and 6 wts are up at Fortress and somehow managed to not get broken... and trust me, people find the neatest ways to break our rods up there.

The good news is Orvis always will make it right and you should have it for skwala season (not that the current weather helps!)

Honestly, I wouldn't trade my 4 wt, mid flex, 9 foot Helios for any other rod out there, that's the one for me. I used to cast the Scott G series 4, but that's long discontinued and it had to be sent back for ferrell replacement every 2 years (I used it a ton and didn't take as good care of it as I should have). I have the new H2 rods as well. Just finished up a bunch of NZ fishing with a 5 wt and it handled a lot of fish, including some heavy salmon. A 4 wt, mid flex just showed up in the past few days here and it is likely to be a sweet ride. I'm looking forward to comparing the new 9', H2. 4 wt, mid flex against the original Helios.

Definitely agree with the AA web page. Your rod issues sound like they might have had a wee booboo from a rock ding and then maybe a bad angle when pulling from the rock snag. And you'll love me for saying this <because the timing is oh-so-helpful, right? :)> ... sacrifice the fly for the rod's sake... when pulling a fly out, just straighten the rod straight back and pull once you know it's stuck good.

We should get together this summer and you can try out a few of these rods, as well as the Superfine, which is a really nice rod for Alberta waters. :)

Hope third time's a charm.

Cheers

I am pretty sure the first time was mostly my fault. I usually do snap the fly off by straightening the rod and pulling straight back (learnt from you Dave on a previous trip) but that time I grabbed higher up on the rod with my free hand then it snapped. There was probably a weakness in the rod and then me grabbing it that way likely contributed to the breakage. There was something wrong with the rod the second time for sure as it was snagged probably for less then a couple seconds before breaking, not enough time for me to even think to do anything.

Anyways, Orvis was good the first time at getting the rod back to me so hopefully it will be the same this time.

Dave, would love to give those rods a go! I think it is about time we get together again.

• Like 1

Mine has only been broken once, and that was by a friend showing a beginner class we were teaching how NOT to pull a line through the rod - dur....

Orvis was great with getting it repaired and back to me. They only replaced the broken blank (tip). Never had any other problems though, and my bud paid the shipping LOL - I did ask about switching to a mid flex but since they had a tip blank available so that wasn't an option.

It was amazing to see how thin the walls of it are, I found myself amazed it hadn't broken before.