Fly Fusion Forums

Dirty Bow And A German

monger

First off I need to apologize for all the negative thoughts I used to have about spey rods on the river. I didn't understand why folks were using them here. Well now I see the light and have been having a great time catching quality fish. Though my rod is an 8wt with a 12wt reel, it's still lots of fun to feel the tug. It's been a fine month with no bobbers in sight.

P1010536_zps26c73795.jpg

P1010527_zps3be3d44b.jpg

Brown was a nice, thick fish who didn't really want to see the shore. I thought the rainbow was unique enough for a picture. I've seen a lot of rainbows that are very colored up in the last month. It looks like they are more than ready to go party early this year. There seems to be a lot of 18-19" rainbows these days (I think the spawners used to be bigger 20-23" in the past). Catching a rainbow over 22" is getting more and more challenging.

Guest Wrecker

Nice fish and pics.

There seems to be a lot of 18-19" rainbows these days (I think the spawners used to be bigger 20-23" in the past). Catching a rainbow over 22" is getting more and more challenging.

The daily floatila of drift boats dredging the river with corkies and double juan rigs may just have a little to do with this..

Good Lord ...

"First off I need to apologize for all the negative thoughts I used to have ... Well now I see the light ..."

Sounds like a confession. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, but I could not resist. I owed you one from last fall when I posted a shot of test net fishing. :P

I am not convinced .. yet.

Good on you for taking it up.

Clive

connected-graphics_1086298a.jpg

Confession is a good thing Clive. And your right the Lord is GOOD.

I think I still might be able to find a bobber for lake fishing though. All this global warming should have the ice off early this year :). Can't wait to get back in the tube to chase some big, fat fish!

I actually think the brown looks a lot more like a Loch leven specimen than a german brown. Most germans have red spotting and / or much more pronouced red or orange sides.

"There are 2 strains of browns brought here originally. One is from Scotland and specifically from one lake there. It was lake “Loch” number eleven “Leven”. The strain from Scotland are called Loch Leven Browns. Loch Leven browns are typically longer and skinnier than their German cousins. They have fewer spots and do not have red spots. The German brown trout is a little heavier and has red spots mixed in with the blackish brown spots. Through the years the 2 strains have intermingled and it is hard to say that this a German or this is a Scottish brown."

I could be wrong after all these years, but I just thought I would throw that out there as food for thought. :)

Wow Rick!! Still pulling that photo out of the archives, eh!!

P

Just in case anyone needs to know what one of those Scottish fishies look like. I didn't catch it with a fancy spey rod, but it still is purty....

014ba3.jpg

Every chance I get uber! . Still the biggest fish I've caught on the Bow. Not the longest anymore, but still the biggest. I was honestly waiting for monger to counter with that snake he caught a few years ago, but since he caught it "bobber" fishing, maybe he doesn't count it anymore, now that he is a high falutin' spey rod fisherman.

Just messing with ya buddy!

How can anyone get something bigger than a Texan? I think I'll spray paint my new noodle rod yellow to try and increase my chances of catching a real fish. The real goal this year is to catch another Zombie fish so I can out perform your "netboy" with the purrty face

• Like 1