Fly Fusion Forums

New To Calgary

Hey there Im new to Calgary and what to get out on the water to try to catch a few nice fish. I still have to get a pair of waders. Which was hoping some one could give me some ideas on a good pair for a good deal. I have a heavy weighted rod i will be looking in getting a five weight once i get a few dollars. is there a combo of flies that i should be tying or going and buying. I can tie a bit but i need practice. Also with buying a rod is there a really good site to explain what to look for in a rod and reel. i was a t a shop yesterday and they have a combo for 220, he also was saying that simms waders was what to buy. the only thing is that the price is a little high for me right now. I know you get what you pay for but i have to be a bit picky right now and it sucks but such is life sometimes.

What's your budget for waders?

Both Simms and Redington have models that are both less than $300 that will more than suffice.

If you are looking for even less, then I would suggest having a look at some Hodgman's over at Wholesale Sports, or even the White River line up at Bass Pro.

That said, my experience pretty much says you get what you pay for.

i would like to spend about 300 give or take on waders and boots. What do you guys think about the cabela's line. I priced them out at 277 for there brand of waders and boots. but have read a few reviews that they leak after a year any truth to that?

The white rive wader have lasted for myself and i am going on 3 seasons. No leaks. Knock on wood. Bass pro sometimes has unreal rod deals this spring i pick up an 8 wt rod for $20 and it cast ok.

I had redington wader + boot all in one combos and they were good. I personally found where the boot met the waders it rubbed against my calf and gave me some good blisters.

Once I realized how awesome fly fishing is I upgraded to some Caddis waders with seperate boots.

Redington does make for a great starting point though in my experience.

Do yourself a favor and figure out the upper limit of your budget, and buy the best you can afford.

Odds are you'll get a lot less heartache out of it.

Waders will all eventually leak, but buying higher end models will give you more bang for the buck in the long run. Im wearing the Simms G4, which while are a tad sum of money, still cost me less in the long run than buying less capable waders way more often.

Oh and Support Local Fly Shops!!

• Like 1

Redington makes some nice waders for a fair price, as for boots korkers are the way to go.. Korker redsides to be exact... Reasonably priced with interchangeable felt or rubber soles, just doesn't have the fancy lacing system that's all.

While the boa lace system is not a must. I have to say after switching to it i would not go back. Boots stay tighter and u don't have to worry about them coming undone would highly recommend. Plus way faster to do up boots

While the boa lace system is not a must. I have to say after switching to it i would not go back. Boots stay tighter and u don't have to worry about them coming undone would highly recommend. Plus way faster to do up boots

Yes,

until the button freezes in the winter

Jay, in at least 2 winters (possibly 3, I can't remember) fishing with my 1st generation Korker Guides with the Boa system, I have NEVER had them freeze up on me!!

Yes,

until the button freezes in the winter

Yellowstone angler has just released a wader shootout. As per usual, their testing methods aren't very scientific, however it does give you a little bit of info on a bunch of waders. I will agree with their assessment of the Simms G3 guides. I have had these waders for over 5 years and they are still going strong, however they are outside your budget.

I would take a hard look at the orvis silver sonics. I have heard great things about them from various sources and they look to be a very good value and within your budget.

Yellowstone review: http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear-review/2013-wader-shootout-best-waders-simms-g4-simms-g3-patagonia-rio-gallegos-orvis-silver-sonic-dan-bailey-guide-ultra-redington-aquaz-cabelas-bootfoots

Last year I held off on buying new SImms boots until a trip to Montana...was really surpirsed at the prices. I saved $60 from the price in Calgary...that being said I typically support the local flyshops but when money is your bottomline its worth considering your options. I'm not sure on shipping costs but you can pick some up online out of montana:

- Simms Freestone boots felt $99

- Simms Rivershed boots (rubber sole) $179....also found on sale at one montana shop online for $116. $229 in town

- Simms G4 guideboot $142.97 (sale price)

- Simms Freestone waders (pants) - $219....I love these ones

Consider your options and get the best gear you can afford.

Two industrial garbage bags, two big elastics, and old workboots and burley wool socks at the thrift shop, and your fishin ! LOL ;)

My first breathable waders were Wardells - they were inexpensive and I used them for 3 years without having a leak or needing to seam-seal them or anything. I still use them as back-up or my loaner pair. For cheapies I had real good luck with them. Also have a pair of cheapy Bare breathables I bought dirt cheap at Bass Pro on sale, they seem to be doing OK too (Only 1 season of use, these were my "how did my ass get so fat waders" two summers ago).

Eventually I will drop on a new pair this summer - going to treat my self to a pair of Patagucci's