Fly Fusion Forums

Your Opinion, Retiring In Canada To Fish

Asking your opinions, if you could retire in any city or town in Canada, that had lots of fresh water fishing around it, where would you go? For now I am thinking Kimberly, Kamloops, or maybe up north in one of several provinces. Remember, the hook is fresh water fishing. Thanks

I have recently been researching my trip to duck mountain in Manitoba. (also within two hours of the parkland and the FLIPPR lakes)

Within an hours drive you would have:

Lakers

Splake

Whitefish

Rainbows -trophy

Browns - trophy

Tiger Trout

Brookies

Walleye

Pike

Bass

Beautiful country up there, and from my research quite affordable if you live in a small town.

With your mentions of Kimberly and kamloops though I think the Manitoba weather may be a detractor for you.

Wife's family just built a brand new cabin there, and I plan on heading there for a couple weeks each summer.

Calgary, being a trout fisherman myself, I would stay right here.... mind you retiring to the Hefley region east of Kamloops wouldn't be bad if you can't stumble along the rivers anymore.... but they only have dirty rainbows, most of which are triploids :johnny:

That would depend on what you want to fish for and the length of the season. Notice in other thread of yours that you would like to winter down south.

Would likely go south late Oct or early Nov as friends do. The Bow may keep me here,hard to leave that water, but in a smaller town like High River. I have thought of Hefley area as well, but so many lakes and rivers near Kamloops and Kimberly, and so many nice northern locations. Crowsnest is nice too but so flippin windy.

Through the course of my career, I've been fortunate enough to visit almost the entire country. One place I have always loved enough to consider it a possible future summer type of home is the Yukon. The rivers, streams and lakes are amazing and almost untouched.the fishing is incredible with your choice of Arctic Grayling,Lake Trout, trophy pike etc. the tricky part is being close to a major center with a Hospital. If I ever won the lottery, that is where I would spend my summers.

Murray

Seeing as how I am already retired and my favourite fishing is moving water, then as far as I am concerned you cant beat Calgary. We have streams and rivers in southern Alberta that are second to none. If you prefer still water perhaps the interior of BC would be better. I also love to fly fish for salmon in the salt water, so a day's drive west puts me right where I want to be.

I tend to agree with ggp somewhat,being a skinny water salmonid fanatic myself.A bit south of CGY perhaps in a smaller town,close to the Bow,not that far to Crow,and lots of smaller East slope streams to explore.At least throughout my working life,that suits me just fine.If I was retired though and could live anywhere,some BC coastal river with 5 species of salmon plus Steelhead and alpine lake,temperate climate,salt in my diet whenever I get the urge.........pretty hard to beat?

Personally,I have no interest in warmwater species,but if that's your thing,S. ONT(Georgian Bay,Muskoka,Haliburton?)has all the spiny/toothy fish plus Great Lakes salmonids,but a bit too crowded for my taste.North shore of Superior is beautiful without the crowds and better hunting......next time I drive back east I'm definitely taking a day or two to stop and fish some of those rivers between Nipigon and SSM for monster brookies and wutever else is running?

Following up on Gary's post about staying in Alberta, do what I did -- retire in the Crowsnest Pass. There's great fishing close by in every direction, both moving water and stillwater. If you want to sample some BC fishing, the Elk Valley is minutes away. It's a beautiful place to live with all the small town advantages -- i.e. people are friendly, no rush hours etc. and if you need an urban fix, Calgary is 2 hours away, and Lethbridge is 1.5 hours away. I've been here for going on eight years, and I'm loving it.

• Like 1

alberta is a very hard place to beat for fresh water fishing , fly fishing for trout is outstanding with the amount of rivers , then you have some great lakes for fresh water fishing like your after , lake trout and some good walleye lakes , and pike fishing up north is second to none , i'd say stay in a area that is close to your fav river , the rest you just can travel to

if it's bigger fish like salmon and steelhead , plus some great trout fishing , go with BC , my pick would be also be Terrace area , if your retiring then in the winter you can get out and go south to miss that cold weather and snow ,

Fishinlivin,

I can only ehco Terry's opinion. Although the weather in southern Alberta can be sometimes interesting, with BC as close as it is, the Crow has a pile of advantages.

Don

X2, and your closer to Montana by 2 hours....

Following up on Gary's post about staying in Alberta, do what I did -- retire in the Crowsnest Pass. There's great fishing close by in every direction, both moving water and stillwater. If you want to sample some BC fishing, the Elk Valley is minutes away. It's a beautiful place to live with all the small town advantages -- i.e. people are friendly, no rush hours etc. and if you need an urban fix, Calgary is 2 hours away, and Lethbridge is 1.5 hours away. I've been here for going on eight years, and I'm loving it.

Thanks Terry, beautiful area but dont you find the wind to be too consistant? Otherwise Love the area.

Before you go plopping a lot of $ in Canada, do yourself a favour and travel the S Isl of New Zealand, and look at a small batch (cabin) on a small parcel of land that is centrally located. There are small places that will sell for $50K NZ (about $40K Can), that may not have every service you want, but will put you on more rivers than you will ever find in Alberta or BC and generally never cross paths with other anglers who are essentially hunting for trophy fish in the big rivers. IE - one valley here has 20 spring creeks and has 10 rivers within 20 minutes of each other. Granted the smaller waters 'only' have 3 to 8 pound browns and rainbows, but still...

Just another perspective.

Cheers

• Like 1

Before you go plopping a lot of $ in Canada, do yourself a favour and travel the S Isl of New Zealand, and look at a small batch (cabin) on a small parcel of land that is centrally located. There are small places that will sell for $50K NZ (about $40K Can), that may not have every service you want, but will put you on more rivers than you will ever find in Alberta or BC and generally never cross paths with other anglers who are essentially hunting for trophy fish in the big rivers. IE - one valley here has 20 spring creeks and has 10 rivers within 20 minutes of each other. Granted the smaller waters 'only' have 3 to 8 pound browns and rainbows, but still...

Just another perspective.

Cheers

Thanks Dave, A friend guides there every winter and summers in Kimberly. Sounds interesting, What is the cost of living like over there?