Fly Fusion Forums

Silver Doctor Verses The Silver Bullet

SilverDoctor

Well like the saying goes “The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry”. Such is life. I had planned a Steelhead trip of the Skeena this year. But once we got to Kelowna my wife’s dad was quite ill. We spent time with the folks and I did a fly tying demo at one of the shops there. Toward the end of the week things looked better and the wife said do your thing, but I would only have a day and a half to spend chasing steelies. My friend Nick and I flew out to Terrace. I normally like to drive having access to my truck that way but time did not permit. Nick had a distant friend who had a boat and as pre arranged was glad to run us upriver. My goal was to fish the Copper river (Zymoetz). I have fished the Skeena system with fly rod many times, growing up in BC and having had a dad who lived to fly fish helps a lot. It is familiar ground.

There is something about the fall that sets me into migration mode. I think I have somehow inherited genes of those wild fish who seek the distant rivers. We where greeted in Terrace by a great guy who went out of his way to give us a hand. Aside from a bit of cash he asked me for a few flies and at the end of the trip I gladly gave him most of his request. Nick insisted on the other half leaving me quit flyless coming home to Calgary. We ran upriver early morning in an on and off drizzle. Reached the Copper and after a couple of k’s he dropped us on the shore with our rods and packs of essentials and possibles.

You know this country is where God decided to hide beauty. It is the high wild where the river flows like silver ink through black timber. It’s fine mists inspire. We hurriedly assembled out Spey rods and parted up and downstream although Nick joined me hurriedly on the up walk after having a close encounter of the Silvertip Grizzly kind. He figured she was either getting romantic or hungry, and neither suited him. We did count 8 of his brothers that day. We fished the broken water and found fish quickly in slower water below and especially in front of large boulders tail outs or sections of river just above rapids. We saw during the course of the day over 20 pods of fish.

We cast intruder tube flies, blue charms, tail gunners, General Practioners Spratly Spey and a variety of others. We had dozens of hits. A few spectacular takes on waking flies tied riffle-hitche style. Brought 3 fantastic fish to hand that where a chore to pick up. And a joy so see. Lost 5 Steelhead close in after great fights one at my feet which almost knocked me over adn left me with a sore knee. The event of the day was one large Coho that most have hit the 30 pound mark. This baby ran me to my backing till I could see reel steel twice before straightening out the no: 3 blue charm hook. A souvenir that I will treasure. We where picked up late in the evening and it was back to the world. Our “guide” had a great day also with a few of my borrowed flies.

With all the fish I was really glad to have the Pfluger President. A reel with solid and quality drag is a must. We also sharpened hooks at every opportunity. This is important.

I sit here this evening back in Calgary fairly exhausted this week. My shoulder hurts from the constant fish. A good hurt. I daydream a lot reflecting back on the trip and will sketch and paint my experiences through the winter. I’ll be tying Steelhead flies for myself and a few clients and with every fly I will think back on this trip.

steel1.jpg

steel2.jpg

steel3.jpg

steel4.jpg

steel5.jpg

steel6.jpg

steel8.jpg

steel9.jpg

steel11l.jpg

steel12.jpg

Sounds like you made the best of your shortened time on the water. I had a trip planned to the exact area you went to and won't be able to go, so I'm very happy that I can live vicariously through your words and pictures.

I'm thinking that Toolman and Hawgstoppah will have a number of questions to throw at you in the next little while.

Thanks for sharing.

Excellent write up, Silver. Very poetic. I can imagine myself there. Silver ink. Never heard it put like that before.

The pictures back it up. The 4th one is especially appealing and it looks like quite a brute in the eight picture. I'm sure they all are, but that one gives it scale. All in one day (ish), eh? Not a week? Wicked.

Thanks for posting pics of the flies. Nice ties.

Sounds like you made the best of your shortened time on the water. I had a trip planned to the exact area you went to and won't be able to go, so I'm very happy that I can live vicariously through your words and pictures.

I'm thinking that Toolman and Hawgstoppah will have a number of questions to throw at you in the next little while.

Thanks for sharing.

Too bad you couldn't make it, I've canceled many a trip in the past. Life gets in the way. But the fish will be there for next time.

Suuuuuuwwwwwweeeeeeetttttttt!

That answers several of my questions. Thanks for the post. Looks like I pack the mittens.

Yep she is getting chilly. The weather was cool and drizzly but great for fishing. Do do need the extra layers. I like wool as even if it is wet it's warm. The trees where starting to turn here and there. If you have any other questons give me a shout.

Excellent write up, Silver. Very poetic. I can imagine myself there. Silver ink. Never heard it put like that before.

The pictures back it up. The 4th one is especially appealing and it looks like quite a brute in the eight picture. I'm sure they all are, but that one gives it scale. All in one day (ish), eh? Not a week? Wicked.

Thanks for posting pics of the flies. Nice ties.

We where blessed with a solid run of Steelhead. I've been there when the water is dead one day and positively boiling the next. Nothing like when I was young and hit the rivers with my Dad. I would be embarrassed to tell you how many we released in a day (yes some fly fishers did catch and release in the 60's). I was lucky to know the water up there. But we quite easily have beeen up there just for the scenery. I must say that the Spey rods did make a big difference.

For the past 6 months, my DH has been sending me Noel Gyger's (sp?) fishing reports from the Skeena area. But I've got to say, none of them, even with the grip and grins of huge fish and smiling sports, has gotten my blood pumping like your report. Well done. I'm ready to start packing now, T-minus nine days!

Way to go SD! Now I have to look at a spey rod in the future and hide from the wife. I feel like I am 14 again!

Seriously, those are great fish. Love the one in the water at your feet. Might PM in the future when I plan a trip for a tad of info without asking for secrets. That is not my style!

Nice report.

Hey Silver Doctor did you manage to hit some fish on the Skeena??? Most of those shots look like the copper..execept for the moose crossing that looks like the Skeena. Reports from up on the Skeena drainage are pretty bleak so far... O well high water and my theory is the run is about a week late, due to the high water.