Fly Fusion Forums

Bow River Etiquette

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm fishing a spot on the shore and three guys in a drift boat come so close that we are about to tangle lines. The guy in the front is literally casting where I'm standing. So to cast back at the guy which seemed to surprise him. I was with my daughter so I kept my language in check.

I'm fishing a spot on the shore and three guys in a drift boat come so close that we are about to tangle lines. The guy in the front is literally casting where I'm standing. So to cast back at the guy which seemed to surprise him. I was with my daughter so I kept my language in check.

I've had this happen to me I don't know how many times. I have even had the rower (Do not know if it is a guide or not) tell me that it is proper etiquette for me to stop fishin and allow them to have their pass through as they only get one chance cause they are in a boat.

I usally keep my mouth shut and wait till they pass, no use in me getting mad and ruining my day.

I have found it annoying sometimes when out on a boat coming into poilce and there are people off loading their boat in the launch area, but this is only a very few times, most of the times I have found that if someone is offloading in the launch they usally move out of the way really quickly as the police boat launch is tricky to get into at the best of times when you do not have a motor.

But like everything in life you get some people that think and some people that just do not think.

Only bitch i have is why do people have to unload there boat at police when theres 2 boats there already?Can they not wait for at least one of them to leave?

Its only going to get worse bro! The whole Bow River Etiquette thing is just a joke. In the last 10 years weve gone from walk/wading and a few drift boats to tons of drift boats and jet boats plus I would say probably 10 X the # of people fishing if not more. This has been a topic how many times? People will never figure it out or just refuse to budge because of how things are now, it sucks but weve done it ourselves and now will have to live with it. It will only get busyier and more crowded and when that happens people will go from nice and cool to not nice and cool. Weve seen it start to happen over the last 5 years especially and dont see it slowing down anytime soon unless the river dries up and all :ph34r:

Personally haven't had any issues with people drifting the river, guess i've been lucky, they keep their distance and a quick chat as they are going by.

It's the shore fishermen that have me scratching my head, try to be friendly and they look at me like I have 10 heads.

Its only going to get worse bro! The whole Bow River Etiquette thing is just a joke. In the last 10 years weve gone from walk/wading and a few drift boats to tons of drift boats and jet boats plus I would say probably 10 X the # of people fishing if not more. This has been a topic how many times? People will never figure it out or just refuse to budge because of how things are now, it sucks but weve done it ourselves and now will have to live with it. It will only get busyier and more crowded and when that happens people will go from nice and cool to not nice and cool. Weve seen it start to happen over the last 5 years especially and dont see it slowing down anytime soon unless the river dries up and all :ph34r:

why do you say it can not change? People should always be polite regardless to what they are doing.

And to compare the river 10 years ago, even 5 years ago is kind of unrealistic, just look at how the city has growen in that time period, and you think angling pressure would not go up with a large city such as calgary on its door step?

Also we should not have to put up with the stupid people on the river, to do that or think that is just giving the idoits every excuse to do what they do.

I find the more people I talk friendly to and educate them the less amount of idoits I see on the river, attitude and the way you present yourself to people will always be the way people treat you, act like a ***hole or jerk and you will be treated like one.

It is our duty as stweards of the river to educate people and show them what a wonderful river we have.

And if you want to blame the internet it is some fault but there has been books for years that talked about how great our river is and then you would also have to blame alot of the shops in town also cause they also tell people how great the river is, and word of mouth and so forth and so forth so I find no blame in the internet or anyone else for talking about the aswome river we have.

Times change and cities get bigger that is just a simple fact of life, live with it or don't fish, never has there been a time that I haven't been able to find my own special spot on any givin day on the river, you just need to walk away from your mode of transportation and find the real special places, most people don't want to do that so at the end of the day where they are is crowed, remeber everyone has a right to enjoy the river, time to start sharing it and stop complaining about how crowed it is.

i generaly dont bump into anyone but the other night i was on some new water and these guys come down the bank behind me and ask how it's been and i say i havent fished yet im waiting for the dryfly to start on this run one of them step in front of me and get set to fish the run i say excuse me! you can find somewhere else to fish im going to fish here he says but we fish here every night i say not tonight you dont. move on buddy and dont even think about hittin the hole above me i have a buddy joining me in 10 min and hes going to jump in there. the guy says if the waters open buddy its open! i say well i just let you know as politely as i know how it isnt open its TAKEN! look man its called river etiquette. his friend finnaly said no worries we will go a ways up. They did. It blew my mind i've had people get in beside me and whatever i ussually say hi and start to fish with them but i have NEVER had some one step in directly infront of me.

i generaly dont bump into anyone but the other night i was on some new water and these guys come down the bank behind me and ask how it's been and i say i havent fished yet im waiting for the dryfly to start on this run one of them step in front of me and get set to fish the run i say excuse me! you can find somewhere else to fish im going to fish here he says but we fish here every night i say not tonight you dont. move on buddy and dont even think about hittin the hole above me i have a buddy joining me in 10 min and hes going to jump in there. the guy says if the waters open buddy its open! i say well i just let you know as politely as i know how it isnt open its TAKEN! look man its called river etiquette. his friend finnaly said no worries we will go a ways up. They did. It blew my mind i've had people get in beside me and whatever i ussually say hi and start to fish with them but i have NEVER had some one step in directly infront of me.

I know what you mean, that happened to me a couple mornings ago. Got up nice and early to get first crack at a run I wanted to fish. Got there at 4:15am met up with my buddy. Started working upstream and getting some good action. 45mins later a guy walks past me says hi and starts casting 30ft upstream from where I was fishing. I couldn't belive it. Thought about leapfrogging him and doing the same thing but instead we went to the other side and had an awesome morning with many fish landed.

So sad Jared. Some people just need a quick slap upside the head.

How hard is it for guys in boats to NOT cast over water where a shore fisherman's line is? They are floating with the next spot only yards away and miles of river to travel. Pull your lines out and cast on the other side of the boat for 30 yards (there's a chance for a fish there too). If boats float over a spot that a guy is dry fly fishing in I think things are going to get really testy. You don't have to row the boat that far to give some room, and then just don't cast on top of someone. Respect is an easy thing to offer.

Guides are in a position to set the right example and teach new fishermen...hopefully greed doesn't win over the right thing to do

last fall when my rod got snapped, i finally did too.

guides? often worst offenders. very very sad but true.

"i have paying clients". lol.

oh and the wannabees. another special class.

what the hell is wrong with asking and a little communication before you excercise your god given right to fish wherever/whenever/no matter what?

i always gotta remember that world class water running through a city of a million+ is gonna see it's share of congestion, bad manners, rudeness, elitists, idiots, noobs, poachers, and general asshats.

jets?

well, that's another matter altogether...

and another thread.

. move on buddy and dont even think about hittin the hole above me i have a buddy joining me in 10 min and hes going to jump in there. the guy says if the waters open buddy its open! i say well i just let you know as politely as i know how it isnt open its TAKEN! look man its called river etiquette. his friend finnaly said no worries we will go a ways up. They did. It blew my mind i've had people get in beside me and whatever i ussually say hi and start to fish with them but i have NEVER had some one step in directly infront of me.

Really, we can reserve spots!!

Personally, I haven't had much issue with etiquette. Most times I can fish are when others can't, so I rarely run into other people. When I do, they are usually nice. Only twice, in four years, have I had a guy come to the same spot on the river, chat a bit and then ask if he can jump in beside. I always accept and end up fishing with them. As of yet, I haven't had any issues with drift boats either. The guys that I have seen have always seen me from far enough away to make a wide berth. I have even heard the guide (or the guy on the oars anyway) tell the guys fishing to cast out the other side as they drift past. Usually have a friendly chat and let them know what's working, etc.

However, with all that's been said here, and in many other threads, that will one day change. I just hope I'm in a forgiving mood when it does. I'm not usually one to conflict with someone though, so I would be an easy target for guys wanting to poach my water....... :mellow:

The boat issue vs wadenwalker is going to come up forever, I do a lot of drifting and sometimes you just don't see the guys on shore. If dude is crouching in tall grass wearing fishing gear waiting for fish to rise it's not often easy to spot them and I think this is where a lot of issues come from, I don't have a solution just noted.

I was drifting with Copperjonnie and Uberfly this season, we pulled in about 15m above a seam, got out and we just preparing to fish. My boat was totally visable and i would be able to tell we were fishing this seam, but another guide swings in his boat over the seam and proceeds to fish it with his clients... I was a rod's distance away. I was going to knock him out :devil: j/k at the launch but after fishing right behind his weak ass skillz and hooking up 4 fish I figured he earned his karma. I do remember who he is.....

Why don't some of you Bow River fishers get together and write up a 10 or so point list of etiquette that you can post at boat launches (or even ask SRD to put on signs).

You could do some for Boat Launches and some for Wading Accesses, targeting each type of angler.

If you create signs, put the FFC logo on it, and put them up it would be a good service for the river and might alleviate some of the issues.

I think we could even put some down here... I'd chip in on behalf of the Chinook Waters Fly Fishing Club for a few signs for the Crow.

It would be nice if SRD would create signs though...

As a start to the list try the Montana guide association website: http://www.foam-montana.org/etiquette.htm

they have a list that Montana Guides are supposed to follow:

• Floating anglers should yield to bank and wade fishermen.
  • Wade fishermen should yield to boats when there is only one navigable channel.
  • Drift anglers should never pass another boat to cut in on water being fished.
  • Avoid wading in spawning areas.
  • Pick up trash, even if it's not yours.
  • Motorboats: no wakes please
  • Keep access points and ramps open by launching boats quickly.
  • Conserve the resource. Know the fishing regulations.
  • Do not trespass on private land. Stay below the high water mark.
  • Don't let your actions affect someone else's fishing pleasure. Treat everyone as you would like to be treated, but understand that they may not share your sense of ethics.

The gov't of Montana also has this: http://fwp.mt.gov/recreation/ethics/riverRecreation.html

Clive even wrote a good bit about it here: http://flyanglersonline.com/features/canada/can23.php

**It's another reason that fishing guides should be regulated in Alberta...

miscommunication in my post i wasn't reserving the spot just trying to get the guy to move up stream a little he wasn't understanding the whole keep a little distance so i can move up he was casting a spin rig getting it way out there and then swinging lures into the run i was waiting to fish IMO 150yrds up and keep moving is proper......sooo no vancouver you can not reserve a run but you can expect people to give you a little room to fish sorry if i wasn't clear cuz after re reading i wasnt and left out some points.

The only reason for me that it is better, is because of the long length of time we have had higher water. So far this year I have only been low holed a couple of times & by gear guys, not fly, but have had only 1 boat ( a guide boat) come in close enogh where I had to stop fishing & question his ancestary.

I fish Montana a lot this isnt an issue & I have been trying to think of why this is. More anglers? Knowledgable anglers? More polite, more give & take, better understanding of etiquette? Maybe it is the city? More people closer together wanting to fish? If that the case then more etquette education is needed.Also I find that the bad etiquette lessens the longer into the season you go.

Put a boat on the Beaverhead, a river the same size as the Crow, where there are lots of waders & drifters and everyone is great, happy, enjoying life & catching fish, no issues, great day, great experience.

Another thing I notice the boats dont realize how far a spey or swtch rod can throw & fly, so I'm watching for boats when I have my long rod out, I have come close to putting a streamer into boat, not knowing he was there.

Haven't had much of an issue this yeara, and I fish pretty much everyday. I've had my days where I almost lose my *hit, everybody does. I try not to be confrontational, usually a heads up to the guy that you need some room is enough to send the message. If some guy approaches and is friendly and wants to fish the same run or whatever, I'm always good with that.

But, I've had some nasty, nasty exchanges in the past and I like to think I've matured a bit and won't have anymore of those issues. I also pick my spots and times wisely so I don't put myself in a position where I'll get frustrated. Ah well, they make for good stories when things get interesting.

Only bitch i have is why do people have to unload there boat at police when theres 2 boats there already?Can they not wait for at least one of them to leave?

Maybe it will remind said 2 boats already at the launch that it is in fact a boat launch. A launch is not an area to get the boat prepared, tie on flies, untangle your 3 fly nymph rig, strap down boat, inflate/deflate pontoons, hook up anchor, put rods together, disassemble rods, put on waders, place oars in oar locks, load boat with the days essentials, etc...

I say the above a bit tongue in cheek as I know guys have to go and fetch their vehicle, but really way to much *hit goes down at the launch that should happen away from the launch in the parking lot.

Oh, and I love the dudes that give the pissed off glare that fish just above the launches as you float through their "run"

Why don't some of you Bow River fishers get together and write up a 10 or so point list of etiquette that you can post at boat launches (or even ask SRD to put on signs).

You could do some for Boat Launches and some for Wading Accesses, targeting each type of angler.

If you create signs, put the FFC logo on it, and put them up it would be a good service for the river and might alleviate some of the issues.

I think we could even put some down here... I'd chip in on behalf of the Chinook Waters Fly Fishing Club for a few signs for the Crow.

It would be nice if SRD would create signs though...

As a start to the list try the Montana guide association website: http://www.foam-montana.org/etiquette.htm

they have a list that Montana Guides are supposed to follow:

• Floating anglers should yield to bank and wade fishermen.
  • Wade fishermen should yield to boats when there is only one navigable channel.
  • Drift anglers should never pass another boat to cut in on water being fished.
  • Avoid wading in spawning areas.
  • Pick up trash, even if it's not yours.
  • Motorboats: no wakes please
  • Keep access points and ramps open by launching boats quickly.
  • Conserve the resource. Know the fishing regulations.
  • Do not trespass on private land. Stay below the high water mark.
  • Don't let your actions affect someone else's fishing pleasure. Treat everyone as you would like to be treated, but understand that they may not share your sense of ethics.

The gov't of Montana also has this: http://fwp.mt.gov/recreation/ethics/riverRecreation.html

Clive even wrote a good bit about it here: http://flyanglersonline.com/features/canada/can23.php

**It's another reason that fishing guides should be regulated in Alberta...

I have seen signs at Policemans before saying basically don't lollygag at the launch.They just don't last, people just steel them.