Fly Fusion Forums

Cycling Thread

Passed through 1000 km's this week. Sure would be nice if I got to ride down wind every so often. I go north in the morning and south in the afternoon. Seems like the wind is in my face both directions every day. Oh well, makes for a better workout!

Felt like I had a tailwind going home yesterday.. sure makes a big difference!

But yeah, I know what you're saying. When the wind is in your face, and you're coasting DOWNHILL and can feel the wind pushing you back and slowing you down... you know it's going to be a rough ride!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Made it about 3/4 of the way home before running into that SW thunderstorm. SOAKED is an understatement! Bike is clean now though! LOL

I hit it on the way TO work. I was a little soggy for the first hour or two. My feet were soaked all nite!!

• 2 months later...

Been riding in the past several days (not as often as I would like, but some). Any thought that I was doing this to save transit money is totally out the window. Have some nice new biking shoes, starting to get some cold weather stuff, and need to buy over priced studded tires next.

Plus side is today, I saw a Pileated Woodpecker. I'm pretty sure it's the first time I've seen one. Suckers are HUGE! I wanted to take a pic, but my phone was in my pack, so I just watched him for a few minutes. Don't know how rare they are, if at all, but it was cool to see it.

Been riding in the past several days (not as often as I would like, but some). Any thought that I was doing this to save transit money is totally out the window. Have some nice new biking shoes, starting to get some cold weather stuff, and need to buy over priced studded tires next.

Plus side is today, I saw a Pileated Woodpecker. I'm pretty sure it's the first time I've seen one. Suckers are HUGE! I wanted to take a pic, but my phone was in my pack, so I just watched him for a few minutes. Don't know how rare they are, if at all, but it was cool to see it.

Those guys are pretty cool! I saw a couple last summer when the wife and I were in Cranbrook for a little R n R.

They look like Pterodactyls......very neat.

• 7 months later...

Just remembered this thread!!

How's it going this year guys? I started up again last week and so far so good.. had a flat tire when I went to leave the other morning, so had to get the wife to drive me. Picked up a new tube at The Cyclepath on McLeod and was able to replace that myself after getting a little kit from MEC with the tire levers later that evening. Going to patch up the old one and use it as a spare.. lesson learned.

Managed to get myself a rack that fits my bike this week (disc brakes), as well as a Pannier, so today was my second day riding with the weight on the bike (instead of my back).. MAN.. what a difference?! I've been rocking the climbs the last couple days..

Side note - I'm not a huge cycling fan.. but it was pretty cool to see Ryder Hesjedal win the Giro d'Italia this past week! First Canadian to ever podium in a Grand Tour race.. let alone win it!

Guest NamasteMushroom
Passed through 1000 km's this week. Sure would be nice if I got to ride down wind every so often. I go north in the morning and south in the afternoon. Seems like the wind is in my face both directions every day. Oh well, makes for a better workout!

I ride to work from mid April to almost October. I head north - north east in the morning, and south -south west going home. I swear the wind is always against me!

Rode in today from Mackenzie Lake, on the roads through Douglasdale, picked up the bow river path just after the construction on the north end of douglasdale, the pathway all the way downtown. About 26 KM. Not a breath of wind this morning, which was great.

on a side note what is the rule about people on bikes,i always thought that if your on the bike your a car if your off then your a pedestrian.

i often see people stop for a guy crossing the road and hes on the bike.i hate that.

From what I understand that is correct! Yeah I hate that too! At cross walks cyclists are required to dismount and walk across. Also, only people under the age of 16 are allowed to ride on the sidewalks! I hate seeing cyclists over the age of 16 on the sidewalks!!

P

on a side note what is the rule about people on bikes,i always thought that if your on the bike your a car if your off then your a pedestrian.

i often see people stop for a guy crossing the road and hes on the bike.i hate that.

From what I understand that is correct! Yeah I hate that too! At cross walks cyclists are required to dismount and walk across. Also, only people under the age of 16 are allowed to ride on the sidewalks! I hate seeing cyclists over the age of 16 on the sidewalks!!

P

Absolutely! Cyclists are motorists.. they're just on extremely under-powered vehicles! It's actually illegal for an adult on a bicycle to be riding on the sidewalks.. although I'm curious if it's ever enforced - I highly doubt it.. It always makes me laugh to myself when the odd driver yells out their window to "get off the road! that's what sidewalks are for!". It doesn't happen very often though.. most drivers are pretty courteous.

I agree Pete.. as a cyclist AND driver.. it irritates me watching other cyclists switching between the road and the sidewalk at their leisure, to get around red lights/stop signs, etc. You can't have it both ways! Those are the types that infuriate some drivers and cause them to take their aggression out on every cyclist they see!

That being said.. it's the same with everything in life.. there's always a few yahoo's that ruin it for the rest of us.

Yeah bike couriers are the worst they never stop at stop signs/red lights and never yield!! :P

P

Bicycle couriers are always getting tickets for sidewalk riding, but i have never heard of John Q. Public getting nicked by the cops.

Rode in today from Mackenzie Lake, on the roads through Douglasdale, picked up the bow river path just after the construction on the north end of douglasdale, the pathway all the way downtown. About 26 KM. Not a breath of wind this morning, which was great.

Keep it up Rick and you'll have testes of steel. Maybe that could be your superpower.

Guest NamasteMushroom
Yeah bike couriers are the worst they never stop at stop signs/red lights and never yield!! :P

P

Two words.

Settle down.

I ride a lot and this bugs the hell out of me. There always seems to be someone skidding to a stop in the middle of a four lane road to wave me across, while the other 3 lanes keep going

Absolutely! Cyclists are motorists.. they're just on extremely under-powered vehicles! It's actually illegal for an adult on a bicycle to be riding on the sidewalks.. although I'm curious if it's ever enforced - I highly doubt it.. It always makes me laugh to myself when the odd driver yells out their window to "get off the road! that's what sidewalks are for!". It doesn't happen very often though.. most drivers are pretty courteous.

I agree Pete.. as a cyclist AND driver.. it irritates me watching other cyclists switching between the road and the sidewalk at their leisure, to get around red lights/stop signs, etc. You can't have it both ways! Those are the types that infuriate some drivers and cause them to take their aggression out on every cyclist they see!

That being said.. it's the same with everything in life.. there's always a few yahoo's that ruin it for the rest of us.

I have absolutely no problem riding on a sidewalk when a path closure forces me to either ride on the sidewalk for a km or two, or ride on an unsafe road. If people don't like it, I actually couldn't give one drop of care. I'd rather people be mad at me than ride on a road not safe for bikes, have some moron run me into the gravel on the side of the road (which has happened), I go down and the last thing I see in life are a pair of bull balls on the back of an F350.